Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FREEVIEW - where can you receive it ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

byte wrote:
    Some deflectors basically throw out what they receive, some only output a Group, others are channelised (they only output 22, 25, 28, etc) so would be useless. The deflector I pick up signals from is group shifted (22 moved to 50, etc) so I'm not gonna get anything :(
    This is my concern too - I don't know which way the signals are being boosted. Why would the group shifting prevent you from picking up DTT? A 28 channel shift would allow you to still get channels up to about 40 (I think 68 is the highest TVs go in the UHF V band?).
    A lot of places past Killybegs use deflectors - Glencolmcille, Kilcar, Carrick, Five Points etc though none of the homes I went to had a DTT box. I should take one with me next time I'm sent that direction!
    Which deflector and where were you in the area? My folks live just outside of Kilcar, my relatives in Carrick / Teelin. Few (if any!) in the area would know what a digital box was - they'd probably think you were talking about Sky :)

My folks don't have a DTT card but if I thought there was any chance of them getting DTT, I'd probably pick up a Freeview box for them the next time I'm in the UK. Is there any way to test for a digital signal with a radio scanner? I'll be in the area over Easter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Big_McE

Delboy5 wrote:
    Big McE,
    Where bouts in Cavan are you ? Do you know what transmitter you are receiving from ? I'm getting it in Monaghan but some Muxes not perfect, I'm about to build a new house so just wondering what kind of aerial you are using and what transmitter you are pointing at ?

Outside Cavan Town, Using a Hirschmann and getting signal from Brougher Mountain (Enniskillen), I am in the industry and do alot of work up round Monaghan and can recieve up there no hassles, where abouts are you in Monaghan

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Big McE
    Based just outside of Clones !
    Used to live in a flat, where the aerial was pointed at Divis, could get most muxes, some better than others but couldnt get Mux C at all !
    Living at home at the mo while house is being built, aerial at home is pointed at Divis, the aerial is a Triax Unix 100 A, tried getting freeview but only pulled in a couple of radio stations, probably too far away from Divis, maybe brougher would give us better signal !!??

Is Hirschmann a type of aerial ? Just wondering what the best setup would be for my new house, best aerial for pulling in all muxes and pointed at which transmitter ?

I have done aerials in Clones and they are picking up Freeview from Brougher ok. A triax 100A is a group A aerial, if you are using Divis you need a wideband aerial as Mux C is on Ch48. Why are you using Divis and not Brougher?

The guy that installed the aerial pointed it a divis cos the analogue reception was slightly better than when it was pointed at brougher, said something bout location of our house.............a hill and a forest could be impeding the signal !!?? What aerial do you suggest i get for my new house ??

• Advertisement

Hirschmann's are much more superior in both gain and strength than the Triax 100 A but are also more expensive. Did he measure the signal with a meter or was it by eye, sometimes they can't be bothered experimentig on every signal and only compare ch4 on Divis and then compare CH 4 on Brougher? You will have to give me more details about your install before I can comment.

He just measured the signal by eye, never measured anything with a meter and yes as far as i remember he was just comparing the signal coming in from each transmitter. He could possibly have left it pointing at Divis because we can get a very grainy channel 5 from there.....................
    How much are the Hirschmann aerials ? Where can i get one and what model should it be ? Any links to a website featuring them ??

Product description
    PDF-Datasheet
    Download
    Type FESA 817 N 37
    Order No. 910 866-601
    Details • Coaxial or symmetrical connection using
    quick clamps
    • Swiveling mast mount for masts
    of Ø 60 mm
    • Suitable for horizontal or vertical
    installation
    • If horizontal installation is intended, it
    is recommended to install the antenna
    at the tip of the mast or on a support
    (TRAG 53, see Mechanical Accessories
    section)
    • Suitable for horizontal or vertical
    installation
    • Extremely high front to back ratio
    • High side lobe attenuation
    • Perfectlypre-assembled
    • Serrated lock
    • Suitable for DVB-T (UHF IV/V)

Taken from Hirschmann.com.
    First though you need to turn your Unix 100 around to Enniskillen and see what the reception is like. If your Analog reception is very good you will be fine.A group A Hirschmann would not be any addition if you are still on Divis, you will need a wideband one for that.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

byrnefm wrote:
    This is my concern too - I don't know which way the signals are being boosted. Why would the group shifting prevent you from picking up DTT? A 28 channel shift would allow you to still get channels up to about 40 (I think 68 is the highest TVs go in the UHF V band?).
    Erm, I meant a channel shift, not an entire group shift. sorry.
    Which deflector and where were you in the area? My folks live just outside of Kilcar, my relatives in Carrick / Teelin. Few (if any!) in the area would know what a digital box was - they'd probably think you were talking about Sky :)
    I have been everywhere in the area tbh though I haven't been sent down that direction in some time (part of the job). :) I think one or 2 of the deflectors throw out the signal same as it comes in except with vertical polarity, but it would still depend on the amplificatio used. They may used channelised amps which only amplify 22, 25, 28, 32 for example, rejecting everything else. I have never been near the masts themselves so I don't know what equipment is being used.

The only thing you could do is try getting the loan of DTT box and trying, though I'd say the chances are very slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Pal wrote:
    Confirmed
    Wicklow
    Wexford
    Sligo
    Monaghan
    Leitrim
    Donegal

Can I just say on this, its very simplistic to just say counties, rather than actually towns/villages/hinterland. Not everyone in these counties can get Freeview. I'd soon have this list in terms of County, then Town

i.e.

Donegal
    Ballintra
    etc.

Then we can really have a good definitive list.
    Good work so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Confirmed FREEVIEW can be received in these places

Wicklow
    Arklow

Wexford
    Kilmuckridge, Wexford Town, Blackwater, Ballygarret, Courtown, (possibly all Wexford coastal area)

Sligo
    Cooloney, Ballintogher

Monaghan
    Clones, Border areas

Leitrim
    Keshcarrigan

Donegal
    Pettigo, Bundoran, Mountcharles, Ballintra, Dunkineely, Ballyshannon, Killybegs, Inver, Inisowen, South Donegal

Westmeath
    Delvin, Mullingar

Cavan
    Cavan Town

Louth
    Confirmed. No location specified

Waterford
    Not confirmed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Besprechen

what would also be nice is to know the type of box these folks are using? I believe that some receivers are better than others in poor signal areas, so what boxes are you using peeps?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I've only seen in use, Triax and Daewoo "Setpal" STB's so far. I was told these were good in fringe areas but I've not used any others so cannot be sure of that.

This link might be of help:
    http://www.dttboxes.co.uk/reviews.html

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Smeagol

I have the TechniSat DigiPal1
    and it allows me to watch Freeview in the car, a good signal provided. And it has UHF and VHF, just in case ;)

Smeagol wrote:
    I have the TechniSat DigiPal1
    and it allows me to watch Freeview in the car, a good signal provided. And it has UHF and VHF, just in case ;)

Are you able to use the regular antenna output or are you only able to use it via SCART to catch both the picture and sound (seeing as it comes from Germany, where they use PAL B, I think)? Just curious!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭chickey

Using an alba receiver in Wexford town - bought in Argos, UK, for £35. May be my aerial or weather/location buy get bbc4 and bbcparliament, cbeebies very well nearly all the time - with other stations reception varying greatly day to day. :)

@byrnefm
    Yes, you're right. bought my box in Germany and the rf modulator's only capable of PAL B/G, so no sound on irish/british TV's. I just sent out an e-mail to Technisat to enquire about PAL I, 'cause I heard somewhere they started manufacturing boxes for the british market, so I'll let you know.

Goodmans Box - Good EPG. rarely freezes.

signal usually about 75%

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭dmm1000

Pal wrote:
    Confirmed FREEVIEW can be received in these places

Wicklow
    Arklow

Wexford
    Kilmuckridge, Wexford Town, Blackwater, Ballygarret, Courtown, (possibly all Wexford coastal area)

Sligo
    Cooloney, Ballintogher

Monaghan
    Clones, Border areas

Leitrim
    Keshcarrigan

Donegal
    Pettigo, Bundoran, Mountcharles, Ballintra, Dunkineely, Ballyshannon, Killybegs, Inver, Inisowen, South Donegal

Westmeath
    Delvin, Mullingar

Cavan
    Cavan Town

Louth
    Confirmed. No location specified

Waterford
    Not confirmed
    pal

to the Donegal freeview collection add townland of Glenfinn - in the highest part of it (between Ballybofey and Glenties)

also get Channel 9 (Derry - Analogue)

cheers

seems the edit function died.

I reckon best to wait for a few more places to become known and do a new list

(with Glenfinn of course)

success in Roscommon too
    http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=74061

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

Smeagol wrote:
    @byrnefm
    Yes, you're right. bought my box in Germany and the rf modulator's only capable of PAL B/G, so no sound on irish/british TV's. I just sent out an e-mail to Technisat to enquire about PAL I, 'cause I heard somewhere they started manufacturing boxes for the british market, so I'll let you know.

a lot of the newer TV's allow you to change the sound configuration in the tuning menu, select the correct type of "nicam" to match the output from
    you freeview box, or select a different "country" in the TV setup menu to match
    the output.

a lot of the newer TV's allow you to change the sound configuration in the tuning menu, select the correct type of "nicam" to match the output from
    I know, and why somebody would use the rf-output if he has a newer tv (scart) is beyond me.
    Anyways, got an answer from technisat, and the DigiPal1 indeed is Multinorm, it's just that my box (1st generation) doesn't have the latest software. After the Update it will have PAL I capability. I'll keep you informed.

Hi,

I've a colleague who lives in Enniscorthy and he was wondering if anyone knows if Freeview can be received from there? With the upcoming addition of E4 to the Freeview list and the possibility of getting a cheap box from eBay, he was thinking of going that way, if reception can be got.

Enniscorthy might be ok.
    You're on a height there and not too far from me.
    borrow a box and give it a test.

sorry I cannot be definitive. Let us know how you get on.

Lot of hills around the town though, making it dodgy.
    If he has a sea view and good presely, he should be ok.

Ballycanew ok. that's close to Enniscorthy. You might be lucky. worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 twohands

Hi all,
    Don't know if I am in the right place, maybe someone could point me in the right direction. I bought a THOMSON digital tv receiver up the north at the weekend plugged it into the Arial and got perfect quality on BBC1/2/3/4 etc, I get channel 4 and itv but it is not viewable and I get details of other channels but no signal.
    I think my aerial is setup to receive RTE and I get the british channels perfect (no channel 5) does anybody think it is worth pointing the aerial in a different direction or upgrading the aerial. Any advice is welcome. I live just outside Ardee in Co. Louth.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭derrylahan

i can get it in ballyjamesduff, co cavan. been told that you need a perfect signal on utv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Conor S

Im surprised Louth hasnt been mentioned much in this thread.
    I live about 2 miles south of Ardee and here is a signal report from my house.

Antenna-Hirschmann Hi gain pointing to Divis
    Booster-Unknown booster on aerial and 8 way Fringe 6.5DB Booster in attic
    Receivers-Panasonic TUCT20 (downstairs) and Panasonic TUCT30 (upstairs)

Multiplex 1(BBC1,BBC2) 9/10
    Multiplex 2(ITV,Ch4) 5/10 but perfect signal
    Multiplex A(Five) 9/10
    Multiplex B(BBC4) 9/10
    Multiplex D(TMF) 9/10

Multiplex C(Sky News) cannot be received from Divis in much of ROI because of RTE broadcasting on the same channel.
    I know of various people receiving Freeview in Ardee,Kilcurry,Castlebellingham and various other areas.
    Also 'twohands'(if you are who I think you are) I meant to call around to collect that receiver but didnt get around to it.i hear its in a safe place now:) and once my exams are finished I will get it sorted for you.

Conor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

Hi,
    I used to get quite good freeview reception (about 20 klicks NE of Newry) untill the lawnmowers, hedgetrimmers, tractors, quads, et-al started. Now it's only a late night service !!!. The DTT signal is so weak the slightest thing at all wipes it out. That's the problem with digital, it's either perfect or totaly unwatchable. Come back good old anlogue all is forgiven. I don't think I can wait untill the analogue system goes off air and they turn the power up on Divis (c. 2010) ? so it seems in my low lying location that only reliable option for digital TV may have to be satellite. And as for a possible RTE digital service from Clarmont Carn, the way things are going at the moment it could be 2020 before there's any word of that. :confused:

Advertisement