Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FREEVIEW - where can you receive it ?

Options
  • 04-03-2005 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭

I'm interested to know where anybody is picking up FREEVIEW.

what nearest town ?

Please post the location where you can get it and see if we can build up a database of locations.

I will start with Kilmuckridge Co. Wexford

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Hi,

it could be a bit difficult trying to build up a database - I know that digital receivers aren't terribly expensive anymore but since DTV isn't broadcast in Ireland yet, I don't think there would be many with the capability of testing for a signal! At the same time, it would be nice to have such a table. If RTÉ knew that enough people were picking up Freeview from the UK, I wonder if they'd be more inclined to roll out their own version?

On such a topic - RTÉ are considering using VHF Band III for DTV. Would UK Freeview boxes work here (if RTÉ go for the same system) or are the UK versions UHF (ie Band IV / V) only?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

byrnefm wrote:
    On such a topic - RTÉ are considering using VHF Band III for DTV. Would UK Freeview boxes work here (if RTÉ go for the same system) or are the UK versions UHF (ie Band IV / V) only?
    No DTT STB marketed for the UK has a VHF Band III tuner.

Shame!

It reminds me of a quote: "The great thing about standards is that there are so many of them"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Maps - http://www.ukfree.tv/maps.php
    Pick northern Ireland or Wales - a few tiny dots in wexford - not looking hopeful.

Next have a look at your neighbours - if any of them have towers with TV aerials on top pointing to Wales, or for other of our dear readers NI, then you would need the same equipment to pick up the analog signal. The DTT signal is much weaker though, so you won't it without serrrrious gear, but when the change over happens (only 301 days for some parts of the UK (wales ??) but not NI) the power should increase.

next "Digital home" tab has a list of DTT recievers but not much info on them but nothing stopping you googling the names and reporting back.

Maps - http://www.ukfree.tv/maps.php
    Pick northern Ireland or Wales - a few tiny dots in wexford - not looking hopeful.

Next have a look at your neighbours - if any of them have towers with TV aerials on top pointing to Wales, or for other of our dear readers NI, then you would need the same equipment to pick up the analog signal. The DTT signal is much weaker though, so you won't it without serrrrious gear, but when the change over happens (only 301 days for some parts of the UK (wales ??) but not NI) the power should increase.

next "Digital home" tab has a list of DTT recievers but not much info on them but nothing stopping you googling the names and reporting back.
    Thats not an official site is it?
    It's gas it is showing anywhere in Ireland getting HTV.

Of course according to it , no one outside of border areas gets UTV-shows how inaccurate it is given that most people in wicklow and wexford have HTV with a simple grid aerial.
    Indeed you can get UTV in Dalkey from kilkeel with just a grid aerial.

Anyways I think what pal wanted on this thread was people to post if they were receiving freeview in ROI and to post their location.
    I have it here, but not currently as i gave the box away when I got a FTV card for satelite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Ulsterman 1690

According to the websites postcode search I cannot get ANY digital OR ANALOUGE tv reception and that those predictions are based on a rooftop aerial height of FORTY ONE METRES ! :confused:

Now granted I do live in a poor area for TV reception but Im not on bloody Rockall :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Delboy5

I can get Freeview in County Monaghan, living just a few miles from the Border !

My freeview reception is excellent in Collooney,Co.Sligo. :)

Zorro,
    Are you picking up all the freeview channels, including the Top-up-tv ones ?
    Is reception perfect on them all ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Wicklow
    Wexford
    Sligo
    Monaghan
    Leitrim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Smeagol

Keshcarrigan, Co.Leitrim, full blast, from Brougher and Divis on a 15m mast.
    Ballintogher, Co.Sligo, only one multiplex (ch26) from Brougher mtn., (too much interference for the others from analogue -Castlebar- ), on again 15m.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭chickey

Living in Wexford town with pretty good reception of bbc etc from wales - am visiting england next week and considering possibly picking up a set top box.

Is it likely that I would get some reception in Wexford?

What are chances that a UK set top box would work with rte digital transmissions when they start?

Wexford town you should be ok.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Hi

Does anyone know if I can get free-view TV in Dublin around Tallaght.

Thanks

Tallaght-not a hope with dtt freeview

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

A fair bit of South Donegal can get Freeview. Including most of Pettigo, Mountcharles and Dunkineely (due to their high altitude); and some (higher parts) of Ballyshannon, Killybegs, Inver, Bundoran, Ballintra, etc.

Confirmed
    Wicklow
    Wexford
    Sligo
    Monaghan
    Leitrim
    Donegal

can anybody get it in Waterford ?

chickey wrote:
    What are chances that a UK set top box would work with rte digital transmissions when they start?

I asked a question similar to this in another thread - the answer, unfortunately, is probably not. The reason is that RTÉ / Comreg are thinking of using the VHF III band for transmitting DTT, when it eventually is to happen. The UK Freeview boxes only have UHF tuners. It's a bit like the TV situation at the moment - UK TVs don't have VHF but it's used in parts of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Smeagol

Or try a german box
    DigiPal1
    DigiPal2
    I have the DigiPal1 (12V), it comes with RF-modulator, which works on Pal B/G, so no sound on an irish TV, only through scart. The DigiPal2 doesn't have a modulator, only scart and is cheaper, no 12V neither.
    All I can say is that it works with all the Freeview muxes currently transmitting in the north, Limavady, Divis and Brougher mtn. Not so sure about EPG, last time I checked (about a year ago) it had "now and next". Must go up the hill and check again. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

I have recieved Freeview in Westmeath,in Delvin, for a year and a half now,but I cannot give an update as I no longer live there, but here is a link to my original post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=129889&highlight=freeview+westmeath

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

byrnefm wrote:
    I asked a question similar to this in another thread - the answer, unfortunately, is probably not. The reason is that RTÉ / Comreg are thinking of using the VHF III band for transmitting DTT,
    Great - so if you can get RTE but not TV3 or TG4 you may still get DTT ... in 2020 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

that there is ambitious thinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭themessiah

I have SKY but i really want the uefa cup on channel 5 and itv 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Big_McE

All Muxes perfect in Cavan. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

I get it up here from northern ireland - Im in donegal

Big McE,
    Where bouts in Cavan are you ? Do you know what transmitter you are receiving from ? I'm getting it in Monaghan but some Muxes not perfect, I'm about to build a new house so just wondering what kind of aerial you are using and what transmitter you are pointing at ?

themessiah wrote:

UEFA cup is extensively covered FTA across Europe. Get a cheap FTA sat such as LIDL system.

I get it up here from northern ireland - Im in donegal
    Which part of the county are you in? My folks live in the SW (a bit from Killybegs), hence my curiosity! I don't know how the TV deflector system works but I'm wondering if it happens to boost the digital stations as well as the analog ones. (My folks receive their BBC from a local licensed deflector).

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I've wondered that myself actually. Some deflectors basically throw out what they receive, some only output a Group (which is theoretically OK), others are channelised (they only output 22, 25, 28, etc) so would be useless. The deflector I pick up signals from is group shifted (22 moved to 50, etc) so I'm not gonna get anything :(

You'd need to be receiving an excellent signal from the deflector for any chance of DTT to work as deflectors by their nature tend to add noise to signals etc which can be detrimental.

A lot of places past Killybegs use deflectors - Glencolmcille, Kilcar, Carrick, Five Points etc though none of the homes I went to had a DTT box. I should take one with me next time I'm sent that direction!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

themessiah wrote:

Get a FTV card. That will sort you out

Advertisement