Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stairs fitted in Galway? Any takers?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Dopey

Apologies if you're all bored with this topic. My quest for an attic staircase continues.

I am interested in experiences byrne_baby_byrn might have to share about the attic stairs he ordered. I presume you have it fitted now.

I've had a difficult time getting a brochure and a proper quote. We were given a guesstimate quote (over the phone) of 1500 Euro from AllStrairs in Dublin. I phoned three times asking for a brochure and didn't get one. A guy was supposed to call out on Saturday and didn't show up. If these guys wear a uniform I expect it would include a large cowboy hat.

The second option is a carpenter/joinery in Crumlin. He called last night and measured up. He quoted 1950 Euro for a single winder in red pine including spindles and bannister supplied and fitted. No MDF. He was able to give me contact details of other houses he supplied stairs to. He quoted 2200 altogether to replace the bannister and spindles of the existing staircase to match the new one. I've been told by a couple of people that this is very expensive however the other cheaper source we found involves dealing with the joinery to order the staircase and hiring a carpenter separately. This will save us approx 350 Euro.

I am in favour of the first option.

Being a complete dope, I greatly appreciate the advice and wisdom you smart folk have to offer. :o

Dopey

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Dopey wrote:
    Apologies if you're all bored with this topic. My quest for an attic staircase continues.

I am interested in experiences byrne_baby_byrn might have to share about the attic stairs he ordered. I presume you have it fitted now.

I've had a difficult time getting a brochure and a proper quote. We were given a guesstimate quote (over the phone) of 1500 Euro from AllStrairs in Dublin. I phoned three times asking for a brochure and didn't get one. A guy was supposed to call out on Saturday and didn't show up. If these guys wear a uniform I expect it would include a large cowboy hat.

The second option is a carpenter/joinery in Crumlin. He called last night and measured up. He quoted 1950 Euro for a single winder in red pine including spindles and bannister supplied and fitted. No MDF. He was able to give me contact details of other houses he supplied stairs to. He quoted 2200 altogether to replace the bannister and spindles of the existing staircase to match the new one. I've been told by a couple of people that this is very expensive however the other cheaper source we found involves dealing with the joinery to order the staircase and hiring a carpenter separately. This will save us approx 350 Euro.

I am in favour of the first option.

Being a complete dope, I greatly appreciate the advice and wisdom you smart folk have to offer. :o

Dopey

Hi Dopey,

First off, I'd ditch the first contact you had. If these guys act in an unprofessional manner and cannot keep their commitments to meet you, chances are they are un professional, you dont want amateurs for a staircase, especially a winder.

Secondly, the only way to give a proper quote for a stairs, is a site survey then quote, in that order. Your second contact seems to be more professional. He has surveyed, quoted, and given you contact details, to check his work. Sounds good to me .

Your next job is to check up on his previous work, ask the contacts questions. Is he tidy, are they pleased, any misgivings. Walk up and down the new stairs. Is it easy to walk up and down or uncomfortable. If its hard to climb, its probably down to poor design. If it creaks or moves, dont use this trades man, it should not under any circumstances.

Am I right in saying, he will provide and fit a winder, hand rails , ballustrades ect, to the attic area. And then revamp an existing stairs for the total price of 2200E's.

If this is the case, I don't see that as being expensive. You said that a couple of people said that was expensive, are these people stairmakers. I doubt it, they obviously have never purchased handrail , newel posts or spindles.

The thing to check out on a stairs is the proposed riser height and tread height. Often in an attic situation, space is at a premium, and sometimes an easy going stairs is compromised in order to fit it in. I assume from the provision of a winder, space is tight in your case. Ideally the winder, if you have to have one, should be at the bottom of the stairs.

kadman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

I think the price is fair, not cheap but no rip off by any means, the 350.00 looks a lot today but that stairs must last a lonnnnng time.

Also the fact that he turned up and did the measuring means the responsibility is on him to produce a good servicable product.

The guestimates can often be just a way of verifying a lead, (serious buyer) and the extras start when (if ever) the rep turns up.

Using kadman's criteria I think all being well it's a good deal for both buyer and seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Dopey

Kadman and RooferPete,

Many thanks again for your advice. It is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Dopey :)

Advertisement