Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100 Greatest Cartoons - Tonight on Channel 4

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Lot's of questionable placings there. Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies should have been number 2 if not number 1.

What in gods name is Pokémon doing charting?! Awful cartoon in all respects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wicknight wrote:
    BTW Who the f**k put Bugs Bunny lower than Tom & Jerry and Spirited Away (wtf!) ... I hate to generalise but Channel 4 viewers are idiots.

That'll be you as well then! :)

The top 'toons are for me Top Cat, Fred Qumbey era Tom and Jerry, Roadrunner (one joke but a good one), and in the modern style King of the Hill. Must admit a liking for anything voiced by Oliver Postgate.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I was shocked but also pleased to see Samurai Jack in the charts. I didn't expect it in there at all but happily it was.

Not having Batman The Animated Series was a travesty. A prime time cartoon and indeed it was highly popular and changed cartoon history and it doesn't even feature.

No Mr. Ben either or The Tick or Earthworm Jim. I never saw Fritz the Cat before, i don't want to again either though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i was surprised at transformers' low placement, but delighted to see akira in at #16 and spirited away at #9...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Transformers wasnt even included in the nominees. It made it in by virtue of people voting for it as an extra. So 32 or whatever it got isn't that bad, the fact it was left out in the first place is stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

D-Generate wrote:
    I was shocked but also pleased to see Samurai Jack in the charts.
    Me too, it was great to see it in there.

As for transformers, I was just annoyed that it's segment seemed to be less than a minute long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

D-Generate wrote:
    Not having Batman The Animated Series was a travesty. A prime time cartoon and indeed it was highly popular and changed cartoon history and it doesn't even feature.

Forgot about Batman. That was a cool show, the first cartoon on main stream TV that had an air of adult style and themes to it. It never showed any serious violence or anything, but it didn't shy away from saying this is a dark world. First cartoon I remember seeing that seemed closer to a comic book. Very cool, kinda blazed a trail for the more adult friend cartoons that followed

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Eve e

2Dtv was one of the better cartoons in the last few years and didnt derserve to be below that scratchly animated rubbish pokemon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I like tom and jerry, but I didn't think it was more popular than any disney or warner bros cartoons.
    Why were all the warner bros characters seperate, but also put together?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

there was a 90's version of spiderman which was quite good they shouldve at least mentioned that when they decided to include spiderman & then all agreed that apart from the theme tune it was shyte!!??
    glad to see will o the wisp etc , dissapointed at lack of moomins (80s series not the jap 90's remake)that was truly weird & wonderful & completely baffled by Queer ducK??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

They did the same for Transformers. Listed in the 30's and then just wrote it off as a piece of muck. Personally I'd like these 'top 100' shows better if they just got fans into talk about them instead of these d-list dickhead 'comedians'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

What cheesed me off is the number of movies in the list - funny I thought cartoons were limited to half hour or even shorter times - no way in hell I would have included any of the movies in the list - and make way for cartoons such as Ulysses, etc - then we would have a complete list of CARTOONS

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I like Ralph Bakashi... but Fritz the Cat was terrible. Crumb has always been right to distance himself from it. It's a spectacularly boring cartoon.

Coonskin is much better and far more controversial too... And he did a great animated swords and sorcery flick called Fire and Ice which was pretty fun.

It was great to see Princess Mononoke placed so high, I'd actually had just been watching it on Friday. Hopefully the high position it received will encourage more people to go out and track it down.

The same goes for the Iron Giant... it's an absolutely beautiful film that was marketed terribly. They were trying to sell it as something it wasn't. I remember looking at the trailers and thinking it looked awful, luckily I watched it when it came to the Sky Movie channels and I completely fell in love with it.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Slightly off topic but kinda still on.... :confused:

Found this site the other day where you can buy various toys - lots of old cartoon characters etc. there :)

http://www.plush-toy.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I like the way they had movies. They had another show, the 100 greatest kids shows of all time before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Noticed that garfield and the smurfs weren't in there. Whats the story. Personally I dont think it should include movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Not having Batman in there is a crime. Also, no Duckman. And Ren and Stimpy should have been #1. And no Earthworm Jim or Tick... criminal again.

Advertisement