Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100 Greatest Cartoons - Tonight on Channel 4

Options
  • 27-02-2005 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/G/greatest/cartoons/

ENTERTAINMENT: 100 Greatest Cartoons
    Channel: Channel 4
    Date: Sunday 27th February 2005
    Time: 20:00 to 00:05 (starting this evening)
    Duration: 4 hours and 5 minutes.
    From Mickey Mouse to Marge Simpson, Top Cat to Toy Story and Bugs Bunny to Belleville Rendez-Vous this four hour programme will count down the 100 Greatest Cartoons of all time, as voted for by the public. Whether you grew up on a diet of Tom and Jerry and Porky Pig or contemporary classics South Park and The Simpsons, viewers of all ages have their favourite cartoon. The programme will cover everything from Popeye to Japanese Anime in what will be a comprehensive history of over a century of animated film making as well polling the nation to find out the public's favourite cartoon of all time. Featuring revealing interviews with some of the Hollywood super-stars who've loaned their voices to legendary cartoon characters, as well as fascinating anecdotes from fans, historians and the animators themselves the show will remind us all why we truly love cartoons. Funny, nostalgic, heart warming and occasionally down-right rude, 100 Greatest Cartoons promises to be the ultimate tribute to 'thwock' sound effects, legs running in the air but not going anywhere, to all mild mannered janitors who by night turn into kung-fu superheroes and of course to all those who shout "D'oh" every time they mess up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Hopefully family guy will be in the top 10.
    But past experience with these things shows that British Viewers seem to vote mainly for british shows, so Danger Mouse and Captain Pugwash will probebly be way too high up the charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Blimey, four hours!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

here are the top five from the show:

5) Family Guy
    4) Toy Story/Toy Story 2
    3) South Park
    2) Tom and Jerry
    1) The Simpsons

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

South Park..... No. 3?? You're having a laugh!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Simpsons at #1 - was anyone surprised? Even the presenter, Carr, said you'd have to be an idiot not to have guessed it. I won't quibble too much with it..

Good to see 'Family Guy' get to #5 and nice to see the likes of 'Princess Monoke' at #21. I'll have to wait to see the full chart to see if shows like 'Ulysses 31' or 'Mysterious Cities of Gold' got in anywhere...

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote:
    Simpsons at #1 - was anyone surprised? Even the presenter, Carr, said you'd have to be an idiot not to have guessed it. I won't quibble too much with it..

Good to see 'Family Guy' get to #5 and nice to see the likes of 'Princess Monoke' at #21. I'll have to wait to see the full chart to see if shows like 'Ulysses 31' or 'Mysterious Cities of Gold' got in anywhere...
    No they didnt as far as I can remember. The top 10 was surprising Akira was number 8. And I didn't expect tom and jerry to be so high. Im surprised the classic Disney ones like snow white and Bambi weren't higher.
    Im amazed family guy was popular enough to be number 5. I was hoping it would get into the charts at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

oh yeah, need to see the top 100 chart, hopefully it will pop up somewhere soon. i'm not sure how junk like akira and princess makenosense got in...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the list was published in the sunday world today.

south park deserved to be higher, don't know about the simpsons they probably just gave it to them as it wouldn't look right not being number 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭ranDom_tAsk

Cremo ? your avatar just reminded me, was futurama in the 100 ? i didn't get to see it all ?
    bender.gif

yes, it was another one that should of been higher. It was at 33.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭ranDom_tAsk

Cremo wrote:
    yes, it was another one that should of been higher. It was at 33.

only 33 :rolleyes: , that should be a crime... cheers :)

View the Top 100 here!

EDIT: Just noticed The Nightmare Before Christmas got in at a well deserved No. 13!

And also, Futurama was at No. 26, not No. 33 (unless you got confused with Beauty And The Beast.... common mistake, i guess!)

basquille wrote:
    View the Top 100 here!

EDIT: Just noticed The Nightmare Before Christmas got in at a well deserved No. 13!

And also, Futurama was at No. 26, not No. 33 (unless you got confused with Beauty And The Beast.... common mistake, i guess!)

well i'm going from the sunday world and it has

26. beauty and the beast
    33. futurama

Cremo wrote:
    well i'm going from the sunday world and it has

26. beauty and the beast
    33. futurama
    Yeah.. i'd trust the Sunday World too over the Official Channel 4 Website for the Top 100 countdown! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

any fans of "queer duck" ?out there cos quite frankly i'd never heard of it & cant believe it was voted in by the great british public (or even a panel of experts) they bent the rules a little but overall it wasnt bad.
    having the simpsons at number 1 wasnt as bad as having robbie fukkin williams as artist of the millenium etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

pink panther @ 99 ? outrage!!!!!!

tbh, theres a few there ive never even heard of....?

says there futurama is @ 26...not 33.....

beavis and butthead @ 32 fairplay!

the magic roundabout? and chicken run? they werent cartoons...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Yeah and toy story at number 4 wasnt a cartoon either. They obviusly ran short of ideas.

Family Guy over Simpsons ANY DAY. Definitely the best cartoon ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

AlcoholicA wrote:
    pink panther @ 99 ? outrage!!!!!!

tbh, theres a few there ive never even heard of....?

says there futurama is @ 26...not 33.....

beavis and butthead @ 32 fairplay!

the magic roundabout? and chicken run? they werent cartoons...

you think thats bad Wacky racers was 100. :eek:

theres a lot of crap between rugrats and the number one spot by the way, and seeing as they were going to include animations, watership down and animal farm should have been higher on the list.

and they didnt even iinclude "Where the wind blows"

the age profile of those that voted is evident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Ok, I'll ignore that the loose definition of 'a cartoon' (as opposed to an animation) usually refers to hand drawn material but I still I think this chart was pretty duff.

Carrs Simpsons comments about how 'only an idiot couldn't have guessed' is fair enough but I think took an even bigger array of idiots to get it voted into position #1 in the first place. Simpsons is almost at the stage now where there is more bad eps/seasons totalled than good. My jaw dropped when Nancy Cartwright said her ambition was to try get the show up to Season26. I guess you can't blame her considering the pay-packets she takes home

I still watch the new eps of Simpson on Sky out of some kind of misguided loyalty but at this stage I watch the show like I'm watching some earnest drama i.e. I expect not to get a single laugh out of it .... and in that regard I'm rarely disappointed .

I really had to cringe when last nights selection of opidiots babbled on incessantly about how great the show still is. Presumably they haven't seen a new episode in around 8 years then? Also something tells me the fact that Simpsons has just recently become the jewel in C4s crown played some small part in it's eventual placing.

Anyway....

Stuff that should have made Top100
    =============================
    Secret of NIMH
    When the Wind Blows
    Batman TAS
    Dogtanian and the Muskahounds
    Duckman
    Ulysses 31
    Antz

..... and the stuff that should have been kicked to make way for them
    ==================================================
    Belleville Rendezvous
    Pepe le Pew
    Mickey Mouse
    Sylvester and Tweetie Pie
    Rugrats
    2DTV
    Watership Down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

did Transformers or theEWOKS get in??

BTW Pigman, I agree with you about the Simpsons, it's almost painful watching the newer ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 haircut100

How did Dogtanian not get a look in, scandalous altogether!

How did the Iron Giant get in so high? Did anyone see that when it came out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

2Dtv should have been in at least the top 5 with south park

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭weemcd

75 - Lady and the Tramp
    60 - Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
    51 - The Little Mermaid
    33 - Beauty and the Beast

all worthy of top 25 placements imo

wile shows like Ivor the Engine, Danger Mouse and Fritz the Cat all to high up the chart.

Why was rap like Noggin the Nog even considered?

Ive never even heard of that.

Blisterman wrote:
    How did the Iron Giant get in so high? Did anyone see that when it came out?
    Nope, but it is meant to be brillant! Was made by 'The Incredibles' director Brad Bird.
    2Dtv should have been in at least the top 5 with south park
    OK, sit down... and think about the sheer craziness of that statement!

Seriously, think about it! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

The top 100

http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/G/greatest/cartoons/results.html

THE 100 GREATEST CARTOONS

The Simpsons

Tom and Jerry

South Park

Toy Story/Toy Story 2

Family Guy

Shrek/Shrek 2

The Lion King

Spirited Away

The Incredibles

Bugs Bunny

The Flintstones

The Iron Giant

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Finding Nemo

Wallace and Gromit

Akira

Aladdin

The Ren and Stimpy Show

Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies

Princess Mononoke

Monsters, Inc

Popeye

Danger Mouse

Pinnochio

Futurama

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Spongebob Squarepants

Dungeons and Dragons

Daffy Duck

Mickey Mouse

Beavis and Butthead

Beauty and the Beast

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe

Sylvester and Tweetie Pie

Magic Roundabout

Transformers

101 Dalmations

Charlie Brown

Rugrats

King of the Hill

Samurai Jack

Ivor the Engine

Spider-Man

Pokemon

Inspector Gadget

Road Runner

Bod

Scooby Doo, Where Are You?

Donald Duck

The Little Mermaid

2DTV

Fantasia

Thundercats

Winnie the Pooh

Fritz the Cat

The Jungle Book

The Powerpuff Girls

Chicken Run

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

Foghorn Leghorn

Battle of the Planets

Bambi

Top Cat

A Bug's Life

Captain Pugwash

The Snowman

Hong Kong Phooey

Wind in the Willows

Monty Python

Alice in Wonderland

Legend of the Overfiend

Pepe le Pew

Willo the Wisp

Lady and the Tramp

Belleville Rendezvous

The Adventures of Tintin

Noggin the Nog

Peter Pan

Yogi Bear

Barbar

How the Grinch Stole Christmas!

Dumbo

Roobarb

Droopy Dog

Watership Down

Jamie and the Magic Torch

Woody Woodpecker

Felix the Cat

Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels

Mighty Mouse

Animal Farm

Mr Magoo

Queer Duck

Charley Says...

Betty Boop

Huckleberry Hound

Wait till Your Father Gets Home

The Pink Panther

Wacky Races

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Blisterman wrote:
    . And I didn't expect tom and jerry to be so high.

*Cough* Should have been number 1, who needs an animated post-modern discourse on the foibles of middle-america when you can have a cat sliced to ribbons by standing on a garden hoe? :D

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

mike65 wrote:
    *Cough* Should have been number 1, who needs an animated post-modern discourse on the foibles of middle-america when you can have a cat sliced to ribbons by standing on a garden hoe? :D

Mike.

Yeah but Simpsons has Itchy and Scratchy, which is Tom & Jerry directed by Sam Rami, so it is, by all scientific logic, the best cartoon ever in the universe ever ... vast!

Seriously, The Simpsons is not only the best cartoon ever but I would rate it, the first 7 years at least, as by far the best television show ever made. Nothing has ever come close to the quality of writing and production. It is just mind boggling brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

BTW Who the f**k put Bugs Bunny lower than Tom & Jerry and Spirited Away (wtf!) ... I hate to generalise but Channel 4 viewers are idiots.

Advertisement