Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chavs??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Didn't the whole Burberry thing start off in Glasgow? Something to do with football or something... A Scottish friend told me the reason once.

Your right. In the 60's and 70's when English and Scotish football fans went abroad for European matches, they used to rob the designer stores with all the fashions that you couldn't get in Britian. Lacoste and Burburry were two of the most popular and became recognisable as the choice of the football holligans.

Back in Britian it made it easier for the football holligans to identify who was up for a scrap. All the normal supporters would wear the football shirts and scarves whereas the holligans would go to the game fitted out in the latest designer gear. It's something to do with the "holligans code", which stated that you were only supposed to fight other holligans who were up for it rather than attack innocent supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

It's something to do with the "holligans code", which stated that you were only supposed to fight other holligans who were up for it rather than attack innocent supporters.
    jolly sporting of them. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Back in Britian it made it easier for the football holligans to identify who was up for a scrap. All the normal supporters would wear the football shirts and scarves whereas the holligans would go to the game fitted out in the latest designer gear.

Yes, they referred to themselves as casuals. But as fxmeister pointed out this is Ireland, not England, so therefore any discussion or references to england, even though we share a common language and idiom, are utterly irrelevant and should result in a lifetime ban.

As for being jealous of Colin Farrell, seeing as how he had to pimp his backside to Kevin Spacey and all his deviant friends in the hollywood hills to get where he is, I'll keep my lot in life thanks. Out of interest his brother lives down the road from me and has a permanent look of surprise from his overplucked eyebrows and is an interesting shade of orange. Nice Porsche though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

magpie wrote:
    But as fxmeister pointed out this is Ireland, not England, so therefore any discussion or references to england, even though we share a common language and idiom, are utterly irrelevant and should result in a lifetime ban.

That wasn't fxmeisters point and you know it (either that or you're a f*cking retard).

Just in case you didn't get the point let me spell it out for you. You stated that the term "public school" meant private school, which in Ireland is wrong which is what fxmeister pointed out to you. Since this is an Irish site I don't think fxmeister was out of line to let you know that you were using the wrong term. I don't see anywhere in his posts that says discussions that mention England are invalid - just that using the english terminology on an Irish site (i.e. the wrong terminology) might get confusing. You might want to tone down the sensitivity tbh.

As for the jealousy of Colin Farrell thats just something your going to have to live with, lots of people do things that some would feel demeaning just to get ahead in life, thats intelligent. Thats not to say Colin Farrell did compromise himself in the way you say, maybe he did maybe he didn't, I don't know, but if he did I think even you would agree that it has been worth it.

Baz_

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

i thought it was great!! it put us chavs in the right light we deserve to be in.
    yous havent a bleedin clue! so shut up!! just look how cool i look in my photo -See Attached- Righh!!

i'll bleedin Burst ya if ya slag me off ever!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

i thought it was great!! it put us chavs in the right light we deserve to be in.
    yous havent a bleedin clue! so shut up!! just look how cool i look in my photo -See Attached- Righh!!

i'll bleedin Burst ya if ya slag me off ever!!

hehehe only messin :eek:

i thought it was crap! yer woman was wierd, she seemed really imature towards any comments she diddnt agree with... i couldent watch the last 15 mins, was just too crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

"colin farrell's a posh boy playing at being a knacker"
    yeah from what i heard (cant say I ever seen him interviewed before he became mega famous). not many skangers have a dad who owns a health food shop in a trendy part of town either.
    nigel kennedy went through the same transformation years ago funnily enough.
    there are loads of middle class wannabe skangers its funny really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

unclean, uncleanly, unkempt, unwashed, verminous creatures... Thay should be just wiped off the earth, I recommend putting them in a space shuttle and HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH..... sending them to the sun.

just that using the english terminology on an Irish site (i.e. the wrong terminology) might get confusing

Like 'chav' for instance?

Ok, Lets all speak in irish then, then no words will be english ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

twas shít,they called paris hilton a chav for christs sake!!!
    they were acting like EVERYONE wanted to be a chav...like come on!!!

Paris Hilton is WRECKED, Her face is ****ed up. And she's all skinny..

ehh, No thanks, Taxi for one...

Yes, they referred to themselves as casuals. But as fxmeister pointed out this is Ireland, not England, so therefore any discussion or references to england, even though we share a common language and idiom, are utterly irrelevant and should result in a lifetime ban.

Thats crap. While I was a teenager (abt 10 years ago), people used to say that ireland was 5 years behind the UK. Basically that Ireland would adapt what the UK was doing once it was accepted over there.

If anyone can prove that the "Chav fashion" came from the UK over to here, then it has some bearing on the discussion.

And as for the lifetime ban, calling for one is just as bad, since you're not a Mod. This is a discussion forum, not us talking and you deciding. :rolleyes:

that was what's known as 'sarcasm'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

Personally I think the "Chav" thing is just another thing for people to make a fuss over

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I think its just another way to describe a group of people who dress and act a certain way. For example, there was a right Chav-like bloke in the alley beside my house this morning. I have no hesitation in calling him a Chav, since he was hanging around an alley on his own at 9:30 in the morning smoking hash and with his peak cap at a 45-degree angle. All these things in their own right are ok, but put them all together, and you have a Chav.

I have no hesitation in calling him a Chav, since he was hanging around an alley on his own at 9:30 in the morning smoking hash and with his peak cap at a 45-degree angle. All these things in their own right are ok, but put them all together, and you have a Chav.

And doubtless 1) sovereign rings 2) blade-1-based hairstyle 3) skinny jeans 4) tracksuit top or patterned 'sweater' 5) earring 6) White reebok runners

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

FX Meister wrote:
    He's from castleknock isn't he? I wouldn't really call that area posh.
    Where are you from? BellAir?!?

It was nice to see Julie Burchill lose the weight. She was Harneyesque about three years ago.

However, she completely lost the plot and betrayed her middle-class background when she assumed that 'Chav' equals 'Working Class'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

magpie wrote:
    And doubtless 1) sovereign rings 2) blade-1-based hairstyle 3) skinny jeans 4) tracksuit top or patterned 'sweater' 5) earring 6) White reebok runners
    1) Dunno. 2) Yes. 3) Dunno. 4) Patterned sweater. 5) Dunno. 6) Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

so far as my understanding goes, a chav is a nicer name for a scumbag.

It is someone half-way between a knacker and a street-knacker.

street-knacker - someone who acts,looks and possibly smells like a knacker. Difference being they have different shaped bodies. This group is mostly non-working class(u know the joke "im an artist" "really?" "yeah im drawing the dole"), they do a lot to degrade the image of council estate workers and those on the dole, or disability. They scam the government, and choose to live a knacker-esque livestyle, This makes them lower then the knacker as knackers are born into it.

Chav- someone who can come from any background, acts like a total scumbag, has many undesirable habits, wears horrible clothes - fake burberry etc, tracklegs tucked into socks, they develop an attitude and way of walking and behaving (we'd call it shaping up down here! "shaping up to someone= cocky swagger, challenging those around you to fights, you know -whats your problem, what you looking at bla bla bla) so that even when dressed up they can't be brought out. They are slightly above street knackers as they do not possess all knacker tendancies, and have some brand new ones (the clothes!). However the difference is minimal, and they could be categorised as two slightly different examples of the same species.

Knackers - born into their life, don't know any different really as they have been broght up through generations of this kind of behaviour. They are also scummy, weird, arrogant, ignorant, smelly, abusive people for the most part. they are meerly ahead as they didnt chose their life, though they choose to continue living it(which opens a whole nature/nurture thing, and thats a whole new topic) Knackers also have a different genetic struvture, or bone structure to us. Its why they all look the same more or less. Fact. Im not being rascist. so however we shape society, knackers will always be different. physicaly at least.

Society is multi-tiered, and even within each group there are tiers. Its always been that way and will always be that way. At least you can climb or decline nowadays.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement