Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chavs??

Options
  • 22-02-2005 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭

Did anybody see the Chav documentry on Sky one last night? What did ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

fairly crap.
    turned it off afer about 20 mins
    your one presenting was a fvcking retard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Arse. Chavs are just knackers, pikeys, gyppos, skangers or whatever other name you want to give to the tracksuited masses. Trying to turn them into a new phenomenon is pushing it a bit.

Arse. Chavs are just knackers, pikeys, gyppos, skangers or whatever other name you want to give to the tracksuited masses. Trying to turn them into a new phenomenon is pushing it a bit.

there is a little more to it. I didn't see the "documentary" (Sky 1 doesn't do documentaries, they do scare factors), but Chav's also include a growing number of youths from respectable families that wish to be seen in this light.

We've all seen them. They come from decent households, with decent incomes, and yet they dress like knackers, and act like knackers. There's almost a "coolness" to being able to do this. Personally, I don't get it very well, and wish they'd all **** off. But they're here, and there's more every time you check a street corner, or look into a discount store.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,181 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's life mimicking art afaic. Remember Tommy Tiernan's sketch about middle class kids wanting to be knackers in the future ("Justin's not me name no more Mammy, I wanna be known by me sham name 'hatchets'...").

Why someone wants to be included in a group of society known only for their abilities to procreate and sponge off the state is beyond me. Given the fact that society has grown up and most parents are now quite liberal in their approach to child rearing, is this the new punk / rock 'n roll? Is it just silly little kids wanting to rebel against their parents' ideals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

but Chav's also include a growing number of youths from respectable families that wish to be seen in this light.

We've all seen them. They come from decent households, with decent incomes, and yet they dress like knackers, and act like knackers. There's almost a "coolness" to being able to do this. Personally, I don't get it very well, and wish they'd all **** off. But they're here, and there's more every time you check a street corner, or look into a discount store.

You're talking about Hollywood Knackers there mate, that's the phrase for them.

Personally I don't see the point in adopting an English term for what we already call knackers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

The very thought of classifying these idiots as anything other than idiots makes me physically ill.

Who came up with the term 'Chav' anyway? First heard of it on CNN or somewhere.. it was the 'light-side-of-the-news' story: a report on the UK's growing number of Chavs. I couldn't believe it - a news story on tracksuited muppets.

Makes my brain hurt, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

in dublin, they're usually called scangers.

the documentary was rubbish. julie bulldyke is a middleclass wanna be working class hero. her treatise was based on the premise that "chavs" are the true heart and sould of britain who have always been with us and who made britain great, salt of the earth type people. her theory goes that what turned these working class people into feckless thugs was margaret thatcher, who destroyed the working class.

burchill is a reviled idiot who no one takes seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Why do Chavs have a fascination with Burberry?
    It's like their uniform or something.

("Justin's not me name no more Mammy, I wanna be known by me sham name 'hatchets'...").

A bit like Colin Farrell you mean?

Collin Farrell wants to be called hatchets?

• Advertisement

He's a posh boy playing at being a knacker

He's from castleknock isn't he? I wouldn't really call that area posh. Did you know him before he became famous or are you basing your opinion on assumption?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭maccydoodies

I have another name. CAnt really spell it but here goes. Schwaarres. Fukin hate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Keyzer wrote:
    Why do Chavs have a fascination with Burberry?
    It's like their uniform or something.
    Thats one thing I have never understood. Did the whole 'Chav' thing start in Scotland or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

utter rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

mr_angry wrote:
    Thats one thing I have never understood. Did the whole 'Chav' thing start in Scotland or something?

No, they call them 'Neds' up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

They like Burberry for the same reason they like fake Tommy Hilfiger and Ralph Lauren clothes, and bootleg designer stuff in general. They think it makes them look wealthy, or posh or classy or something like that.

Funny site : http://www.chavscum.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

FX Meister wrote:
    He's from castleknock isn't he? I wouldn't really call that area posh. Did you know him before he became famous or are you basing your opinion on assumption?

He went to a private school afiak and was a bit of a posh lad (by north dublin standards) ... he certainly wasn't a scanger, he puts on that Intermission accent for the Americans :rolleyes:

I knew a load of middle class lads in school who when they hit about 3 year all started talking in "Al'rite Anto!" accents and wearing baseball caps (this would have been a good few years ago).

It is the its-cool-to-be-from-da-streets fashion, they think they are 'ard because they pretend to come from the knacker areas of dublin, instead of coming from Sandymount :rolleyes:

Didn't the whole Burberry thing start off in Glasgow? Something to do with football or something... A Scottish friend told me the reason once.

Personally I'd rather Sky1 didn't try to romanticise being a Chav. Kids these days have enough problems without being told its ok to be a scummy little ****. Stick to Sci-Fi and normal programs. We have the Discovery channel for "proper" documentaries. (I'm getting kind of sick of seeing ads for "documentaries" for Bacteria, dangers of cooking etc)

the knacker areas of dublin, instead of coming from Sandymount

Possibly a moot point, but Sandymount used to be a working class area (back in the 70s/80s) before all the filthy rich cultchies started moving in and putting on 'DORT' accents.

A mate of mine gave me a handy way of spotting wannabe D4 types who are actually rich farmers, they pronounce Father 'Forther' as they are trying to overcompensate for their rural vowels. :) Sandymount is full of them, parking their BMs at 45 degrees to the footpath and balancing shades on their head.

As for old Colin (the name's a giveaway, no?) He's a public school boy as wicknight points out, and is certainly not the gum chewing, fag smoking 'filthy knacker' he puts across.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

Documentary was ****! Not enough hot chavs.....have to admit to havin a serious fetish for chavs.....gimme a guy in tracksuit bottoms and a peak cap anyday!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Sky tend to do this, with their original "documentaries". It was the same with the "Who Are The Beckhams?" program, that was on a few months back (and repeated last night after the Chavs program). Instead of pretending an unbiased look at a particular phenomenon or person, they give someone an hour for their soapbox rant. The Beckhams documentary was basically just this woman going around giving out to everyone for being so mean to the Beckhams, that they were both actually really smart and funny, and aren't we all sad they're being targetted in the papers.

The Chavs "documentary" was laughable. Every time I flicked it on, she was moaning about how Beckham and Kate Moss are apparantly chavs, but no one minds them. Oh, I don't know, maybe it's because Beckham and Kate Moss don't go around in gangs, giving people hassle on the bus or causing a public nuisance/drinking in public/whatever scumbags do nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

Who else thinks chavs are WELL fit!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

www.fat-pie.com

Go there.
    Watch some of the videos.

That is a true Chav documentary.

There's a big difference between English "Chavs" and knackers/tinkers. As someone above pointed out they are similar to Ireland's scumbags, but they certainly aren't middle-class teenagers trying to act hard.

N.E.D.s is by far my favourite term for them.
    Non-Educated Delinquents

wicknight said he went to a private school not a public one. Just because someone goes to a private school does not automatically mean they talk with a knacker accent. I went to a knacker school for three years and a private school for three years yet I never spoke with either a knacker accent or posh accent. All classes of people smoke, he has a Dublin accent, he is who he is but I don't think he puts across anything that he isn't.
    magpie wrote:
    Possibly a moot point, but Sandymount used to be a working class area (back in the 70s/80s) before all the filthy rich cultchies started moving in and putting on 'DORT' accents.

A mate of mine gave me a handy way of spotting wannabe D4 types who are actually rich farmers, they pronounce Father 'Forther' as they are trying to overcompensate for their rural vowels. :) Sandymount is full of them, parking their BMs at 45 degrees to the footpath and balancing shades on their head.

As for old Colin (the name's a giveaway, no?) He's a public school boy as wicknight points out, and is certainly not the gum chewing, fag smoking 'filthy knacker' he puts across.

wicknight said he went to a private school not a public one

You've never heard Eton, Harrow etc being referred to as Public Schools then? 'Public School' does not equal 'open to the public', it means fee paying.
    he has a Dublin accent

Yeah, but not a Castleknock one.

magpie wrote:
    You've never heard Eton, Harrow etc being referred to as Public Schools then? 'Public School' does not equal 'open to the public', it means fee paying.

Yeah, but not a Castleknock one.
    Sorry mate this is Ireland not England, they may be called public schools in another country but not here. I've known plenty of people from Castleknock who speak with an accent similar to Colin, none of them are wanabe scumbags, it's just their accent. Sounds like you're just jealous of him as he's done better for himself than you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭bopper

fletch wrote:
    Who else thinks chavs are WELL fit!

I think you're the only one :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

There's a big difference between English "Chavs" and knackers/tinkers. As someone above pointed out they are similar to Ireland's scumbags, but they certainly aren't middle-class teenagers trying to act hard.

It is interesting actually that one would use words like "tinker" and "knacker", which are actually different paying professions, to describe a bunch of lazy ****es.

unless your making an anti-traveller stereotype statement sort of thing, to which i would say that this fettish of chavism started in the settled community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

SyxPak wrote:
    www.fat-pie.com

Go there.
    Watch some of the videos.

That is a true Chav documentary.
    You know it's not real right?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement