Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Telecom: We Want More Uploads

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

I believe the government funding is for their opening up and connection to the MAN's.

Smart will be the first provider to connect to the MAN's and will most likely offer very interesting pricing for leased line fibre connections to companies near/beside the fibre.

I also heard in a lot of cases they take the hit on the civils costs involved in attaching to the fibre. This may or may not be 100% true, its something i heard.

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Sarsfield wrote:
    There was a frenzy of activity in my office last week when I pointed out this offer. Several people who hadn't bothered with bb up to now have signed up. So the signs are positive. And Eircom will be losing all the voice calls too :)

I'd like at least 256 up too (videoconferencing & work from home), but as I'm on the Palmerstown exchange and there's no schedule for it yet, it doesn't matter much :(

The main point is competition, and the more broadband competition the better for us all.
    I rang my current provider (EsatBT) and spoke to one of the managers, claims of not knowing about the offer from Smart (yeah right). My clear message was put up or I'm off!
    The reason I don't jump ship is A) Loyalty, Esat BT have delivered a perfect service in my eyes and if they match or beat Smarts offer I'll stay loyal!
    B) My line does not qualify!

I posted in the other thread 256k up, but thats a min, I would like 256k ++++
    because I'm in a similar boat to Sarsfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Why anyone would believe anything said by a rival telecoms company about another is beyond me.

Having said that, I won't sign the petition because online petitions aint worth the paper they're written on. I feel we've already made our opinions clear to Garfield on the upload matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭tammy

I'm with lawdie, if esat (my current provider) make a new service available I'll stay put. However my contract is due to end soon so they'd better get thier skates on. Though if smart don't up the upload speed I not moving.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

PiE wrote:
    Why anyone would believe anything said by a rival telecoms company about another is beyond me.
    It wasn't said in the official capacity of the company, it was from a mate who works for them; said that was the word going around.
    tammy wrote:
    I'm with lawdie, if esat (my current provider) make a new service available I'll stay put. However my contract is due to end soon so they'd better get thier skates on. Though if smart don't up the upload speed I not moving.
    Pretty, amazing, are Esat providing you with free line rental, a 2MB down product and faster than 128k upload for 35e a month?

Because if they're not I hardly see why you'd pay massively over the odds for what will apparently be an inferior product in a couple of months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

JZF wrote:
    :rolleyes:
    I spotted an ad in France from the ISP Free for ADSL2+ :

Download 20 Mbits / Upload 1 Mbits
    No download cap
    No line rental
    Free unlimited phone to landlines
    78 TV channels

E 29.99 per month !

Viva La France!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

tammy wrote:

Highly unlikely in ESATs case. Its because of a recently available product of theirs.

ESAT have quietly introduced a new product called SDSL . It will be available where the Business ADSL and the Smart product are available ...more or less......being largely the same bunch of unbundled exchanges in the cities .

The first S stands for Symettrical so you get 512/512 instead of 512/256 for example. However the price for this 512k product is about €400 or €500 a MONTH . It is aimed at the leased line market.

smell the burning rubber as i make a quick u-turn. I had hoped esat would offer a similar package, but on reading the precedding post I'm ready to jump ship, though I would like to hear some feedback about the smart service when its up and running ( is it today).

I would advise you to find out from the upper echelons in Esat and not from the call centre staff so ask angela.keegan@esat.com as she is their Customer Care Manager and can give an answer to your questions on their ADSL Roadmap including SDSL .

Post that answer in here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

CyberGhost wrote:
    Viva La France!

Wish we had BB like that...*sniff* :(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Isn't esats SDSL connection basically a cheap leased line? Its completely uncontended, which is why the price of it is so high. Its not for residential customers at all. For businesses who need guaranteed speeds though, its a hell of a lot cheaper than eircoms leased lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

And my previous comment about "is it theirs or the governments" was aimed at the fibre lines. Do the government own the fibre, or is that smarts fibre? I'm pretty sure its the governments...

The local authoritys own the MANs, smart owns any fibre they spur off the mans to connect exchanges, and they're using ESB fibre to backhaul from each man to the rest of their network.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Heh, if there's a problem, "stick it to the MAN!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

We're on 46 at the moment. Can't really do anything until it reaches a minimum of 100. Come on lads, sign it plz.

Cheers,
    Snapscan

Here's what ESAT are saying:

On March 9th we are announcing a new Broadband offering to our customers.

It will be the best Braodband offering in the Irish market.

Smart's Broadband only works on the MANS network which means you can only avail if it if you live in Central Dublin.

They only offer their service on 20 exchanges in Ireland we offer it in 187 exchanges.

If you remain with us, you can switch to our new offering in March 9th to avail of our better offer.

If you are within Smarts radius or 20 exchanges then you potentially may have to wait until August or beyond for their offering as they are not active in most areas at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

tammy wrote:

Smart's Broadband only works on the MANS network which means you can only avail if it if you live in Central Dublin.

They only offer their service on 20 exchanges in Ireland we offer it in 187 exchanges.

If you remain with us, you can switch to our new offering in March 9th to avail of our better offer.

If you are within Smarts radius or 20 exchanges then you potentially may have to wait until August or beyond for their offering as they are not active in most areas at present.
    Where are they saying that?

How is it better? No upload/download cap, faster speeds, better contention?

tammy wrote:

LOL .

(In English and not ESAT-ese)

Eircom will announce some modifications to their standard Bitstream offering during the next few weeks. All Bitstream resellers, ESAT, Netsource and Digiweb for example , will make their own announcements around the same time .

Its not that ESAT will do anything, they will rely on Eircom to do it for them.

We will not offer anything new from the 40 exchanges where we have our own equipment (in addition to the 187 Bitstream exchanges mentioned above)

Kind Regards

The Plain English Dept.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Any chance of Esat offering to fix their accounts dept? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

I'd be happy enough sticking with Esat, for this so called new product, but that bloody rip off €99 connection fee is a big turn off, especially since I have heard a lot of horror stories about their accounts departments and setups. And of this so-called new offering, it may be the best, but will it be the best value? biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

does anyone have any more info about this new product? or where would I look?

What are the speeds costs etc?

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

If there's anything coming from Eircom wholesale, I think they need to publish that ahead of time and get regulatory approval. The last time they changed the bitstream products, the information was made available several weeks in advance on their wholesale site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

tammy wrote:

is esat and iol the same thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

CyberGhost wrote:
    is esat and iol the same thing?
    IOL is an ISP owned by Esat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

They are probably going to up the upload speeds to 256.

wow ;)

Advertisement