Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Telecom: We Want More Uploads

Options
  • 11-02-2005 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

I've made a petition in favour of the above.

I don't think I'm alone in the need for 256 or above, so I'm asking all you gamers and hosters to please sign the post to get Smart to make a really good product.

We can get this if we want it. We are the target market!

Please sign it (link below) and post here (please) to keep this thread in the recent posts.

Thank You,
    Snapscan

http://www.petitiononline.com/boardsie/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Why dont you ask nicely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Axl

The technology can't do it - dont waste your time with petitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

hosters
    You should buy a suitable service if you want to host. Hosting on a consumer BB product is like running a sex chat line from your home phone.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

I didn't once see the Smart Telecom rep say that. Netsource Enterprise and Corporate packages both do it so why shouldn't it be possible?

halenger wrote:
    I didn't once see the Smart Telecom rep say that. Netsource Enterprise and Corporate packages both do it so why shouldn't it be possible?
    I've highlighted the answers for you.

• Advertisement

I'm asking all you gamers and hosters to please sign the post to get Smart to make a really good product.

Don't go forgetting VNC. Though that probably is a very niche market. I'd still appreciate more usable connection for VNC!

seamus wrote:
    I've highlighted the answers for you.

It's still a telephone line. They're just names. Axl said the technology can't do it. I'm just curious as to why.

I'm more than happy with 2048/128 but 256 would be nicer. In all fairness, for the price, I'll live with it quite gladly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

They probably need the up bandwidth for something else, like their VOIP service.

Well as I said the Smart Telecom rep seemed to mention that they were considering it and it may simply be an added charge. I didn't once see him mention that they couldn't do it. Though that is a mighty long thread and hard to read it all! :p

Doesn't matter anyhow. He said they're taking it into consideration and will run the numbers. Time, tell, will, something, only. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

The technology is fully capable of doing 256kbit upstream - much more infact. It's soley down to whether smart want to offer it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Moriarty wrote:
    The technology is fully capable of doing 256kbit upstream - much more infact. It's soley down to whether smart want to offer it or not.
    I know it is but they are only offering 128 - there must be a reason, they may be testing the waters for the first few months to see if there is spare upbandwidth. This is a theory on my part but I can't see another reason for the low up-bandwidth. They could also be trying to throttle the p2p people ( how fast will torrents go with only 128 up? )

E35 per month and you want more uploads? As it is they have severly screwed the market up - want them to completely make it impossible for an ISP (and themselves most likely) to survive?

I know it is but they are only offering 128 - there must be a reason, they may be testing the waters for the first few months to see if there is spare upbandwidth. This is a theory on my part but I can't see another reason for the low up-bandwidth. They could also be trying to throttle the p2p people ( how fast will torrents go with only 128 up? )
    ADSL works essentially on reserving part of the bandwidth for Voice, part for Upload and the rest for download. If you increase the upload, you decrease the download, essentially. So a guaranteed 2Mb/128K is easier (from a technical POV) than a guaranteed 2Mb/256K, because DSL is distance-dependent.

As you say, there may also be P2P concerns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

The reason for limiting the upload is obviously cost. They can make a 2048/128 product cheaper than a 2048/256 product and when it comes to marketing that's not a bad idea. Their bet is that most people will be happy with this and they can advertise a really competitive headline price. I gather that they're not that keen to do multiple products at this point. I suppose simplicity has its benefits and I think it's a pretty good strategy.

To perhaps keep this thread OT, I wouldn't be interested in 128kbps upload speeds so I wouldn't go for Smart's offering. I would look for 1Mbps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

halenger wrote:
    Axl said the technology can't do it. I'm just curious as to why.
    Axl is a newbie poster talking through his ass - muppet in other words...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I'm not too bothered about the 128k upload. The main thing for me is that they give Eircom a run for their money and cater to those who might not otherwise go for broadband because of the price up to now. If they succeed they will be the first company to go for the mass-market on a large scale in Ireland. They will screw Eircom and their resellers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Axl wrote:
    E35 per month and you want more uploads? As it is they have severly screwed the market up - want them to completely make it impossible for an ISP (and themselves most likely) to survive?

OOOOH There speaks a competitor :) . Can you expand on the Tech capabilities Axl ? Could you comment on READSL and Bonded par ADSL2+ and the possibilites in the Irish market. Twould all be helpful.

Ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

SkepticOne wrote:
    The main thing for me is that they give Eircom a run for their money and cater to those who might not otherwise go for broadband because of the price up to now.

There was a frenzy of activity in my office last week when I pointed out this offer. Several people who hadn't bothered with bb up to now have signed up. So the signs are positive. And Eircom will be losing all the voice calls too :)

I'd like at least 256 up too (videoconferencing & work from home), but as I'm on the Palmerstown exchange and there's no schedule for it yet, it doesn't matter much :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 JZF

:rolleyes:
    I spotted an ad in France from the ISP Free for ADSL2+ :

Download 20 Mbits / Upload 1 Mbits
    No download cap
    No line rental
    Free unlimited phone to landlines
    78 TV channels

E 29.99 per month !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

If an Irish ISP called itself "Free" and proceeded to charge €30 for a product it would get savaged on this board regardless of the product itself. :)

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote:
    OOOOH There speaks a competitor :) . Can you expand on the Tech capabilities Axl ? Could you comment on READSL and Bonded par ADSL2+ and the possibilites in the Irish market. Twould all be helpful.

Ta

Not at all. I deal with friends at Eircom - therefore I get the info from them on what can and cannot be done. It could be simply that their information is incorrect.

Think about the commercials (I work for a VC company looking at business plan after business plan that lands on my desk) - simply entertaining the 'numbers' that have to get done to make any sort of cash from E35 for 2Meg.

<Edit> E35 - not E35K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Axl wrote:
    Not at all. I deal with friends at Eircom - therefore I get the info from them on what can and cannot be done.
    Have to laugh a little at this. No offense, but whatever little progress we've had in this country in the area of broadband and the internet has been due to people not listening to Eircom particularly in the area of what can and can't be done.

I hope there aren't too many VC companies that use friends in Eircom for advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

The technology can't do it - dont waste your time with petitions.
    ADSL can do at least 1.5Mbps upstream... and i assume ADSL2 can do a whole lot better. Who in their right mind would waste money deploying an obsolete technology that couldn't do more than 128kbps :p

Anyway, I'd be really tempted to switch to them, as soon as my exchange gets done up in July/August (according to the site). Of course, by then i expect other offers to be available. The only thing that would annoy me is the pitiful upload speed. I've gotten kinda used to be able to control my PC from college if i needed to download something/access something i left at home.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Somebody in Esat also told me that Smart couldn't provide any greater that 128k up without getting new lines into the houses.
    It doesn't make any sense to me why; aparently it's something to do with the way Eircom have configured their exchanges. The problem is that it really could be just company propaganda, I don't know enough about ADSL and Eircom to refute such claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

CuLT wrote:
    Somebody in Esat also told me that Smart couldn't provide any greater that 128k up without getting new lines into the houses.
    It doesn't make any sense to me why; aparently it's something to do with the way Eircom have configured their exchanges. The problem is that it really could be just company propaganda, I don't know enough about ADSL and Eircom to refute such claims.

Well, Esat BT use eircom's exchanges and therefore equipment, but Smart Telecom are apparently going to be installing their own equipment / fibre optic links in the exchanges which means they could do pretty much what they liked in terms of speeds etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Yeah, at the moment all ADSL providers are just reselling eircoms products. So they have no real control over speeds etc. They can only offer what eircom offers, except with different pricings/caps. (or so i understand from my reading of previous threads).

Smart are installing their own equip and running it through their fibre network (is it theirs or the governments?). Eircom provide nothing to them in the way of hardware or bandwidth.

Smart are installing their own equip and running it through their fibre network (is it theirs or the governments?). Eircom provide nothing to them in the way of hardware or bandwidth.

I presume it will be their own equipment, although the government may be providing some funding for it. I doubt very much the government would be supplying smart with equipment for smart telecoms use alone - they'd more likely dish it out to eircom so all companies may benefit, if they were going to do that.

I've heard nothing of government funding on this. Everywhere I've read about it said private funding. (Could be reading the wrong sources. :p)

Well I'm sure they will get some form of government grant for connecting more people to broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

CuLT wrote:

FUD. Somebody in Esat also didn't explain why it wasn't possible. Even without looking at the ADSL2+ specs, can they explain how eircom is able to provide 256k up on their business package?

Advertisement