Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2mb for less than €30 allegedly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Indeed .. but with a 12GB cap ( http://url.ie/2s ), the shine on the offering quickly vanishes
    .cg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

a pity, if it wasnt for the poxy 12gb cap that would be a great deal :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

i rang them and its availble in an estate that doesnt exist yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Well, not moving or buying a new house anytime soon so. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ando

where the f*ck is "The Grange"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

somewhere in england, i think they had a soap based on the place on BBC a few years back.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Chalk wrote:
    i rang them and its availble in an estate that doesnt exist yet.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

the grange is a site in newbridge ,ballymore homes,,site nearly finished.
    dont know if its the same site

maybe its in that new town they are gona build in lucan,,abbysomething ,ment to be 10000 houses in that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

cgarvey wrote:
    Indeed .. but with a 12GB cap ( http://url.ie/2s ), the shine on the offering quickly vanishes
    .cg
    This is just bad business, they have a great high-speed product that people want but then go and ruin it by putting a laughable 12GB cap on it.

What is the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hornet

Harry2001 wrote:
    This is just bad business, they have a great high-speed product that people want but then go and ruin it by putting a laughable 12GB cap on it.

What is the point?

Hmmm, where is the problem for the NORMAL HOME INTERNET USER with a 12 Gbyte cap?? I am NOT talking about the power users that are on boards.ie, but don't you think that 95% of the Joe Bloggs in a housing estate will stay FAR away from 12 Gbyte?

I am puzzled about the complaints about the cap! When I read the article on ENN and a similar one on Silicon Republic I was impressed by the price! EUR 29.90 for symmetrical 2 Mbit/s that is something!!

Amazingly all I can find in this thread is a bashing of the cap instead of welcoming the product.

Reminds me of the Guinness ad about people complaining about everything!!

The Grange:
    As far as I understand "The Grange" is a development in North Dublin in the direction of Malahide. It is planned to grow to 10,000 homes.

The Malahide Gold Club (http://www.malahidegolfclub.ie/) seems to have "The Grange" in its address, and I have heard about the closeness of this development to Malahide before.

--Hornet

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

12GB cap on a 2MB product can blow me, personally.

I guess it's better than a lot of products at the moment, but I'd sooner get IBBs uncapped 1MB or NTLs "capped"(stress on the quotation marks) 1.5MB product for 50e a month.

It's laughable, I'd use up the cap within 2 days.

Grand for people who want to "check their emails quickly" and all that rubbish though. Or, "make a flight booking slightly faster".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

CuLT wrote:
    Grand for people who want to "check their emails quickly" and all that rubbish though. Or, "make a flight booking slightly faster".
    Exactly those people would be happy with only 512Kb/s, why 2Mb/s up - what's the use to those kind of people? Stupid offer frown.gif

CuLT wrote:
    ....It's laughable, I'd use up the cap within 2 days..

How on earth can you use 12GB in two days? Every two days? How are you getting your 6GB a day at the moment?

All that rubbish is the major use of the internet???

I can see instances where you might need a bit download every so often, theres a Service pack, or distro release or a demo or two. But not every day of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Have to say that the offer looks pretty good to me as well (albeit more geographically limited than NTL ever were). As it stands even with fairly heavy DLing I'm normally only just going over the 8GB cap at the moment. And to complain that the average user doesn't need 2 meg connectivity is an odd statement to see in here. While it would be good to see the back of caps (and this one seems on the low side for the product) it is yet another step forward, albeit a small one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

CuLT wrote:
    It's laughable, I'd use up the cap within 2 days.

hehe i would use that cap up in one day with 2mbps.

:p

damn 24/7 downloading....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

I bet their cashflow won't be great in the first few years. Are first time buyers full of money?

12 GIGS is rubbish tbh, u can upgrade the speed to 100mbps for a period on demand (this is not available yet- neither is VOD- what a supprise) then your cap won't last long. If i had 2mb i'd be watching movies legally off something like hollywood.com and fix cctv up to the net so i can keep an eye on the place while away. Wow, 12 gigs would go far there. What a waste of a service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

So it's E30 a month to get 2Mbit/2Mbit a second with a 12GB cap..

or it's E38 a month to get 512Kbit/128Kbit a second with a 8GB cap..

I'd go for the former ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Hornet wrote:
    Hmmm, where is the problem for the NORMAL HOME INTERNET USER with a 12 Gbyte cap??

I am puzzled about the complaints about the cap!

Normally, I'd be the same as you, in that everyone wants it all for free, which isn't realistic. However, I do think that more and more, home broadband users are beginning to use their broadband, and not just for checking the odd email (who cares what speed your connection is in that case, as long as its a good dialup or better). Home users are beginning to sign up to premium content. Take, for example, Big Brother.. or Discovery Channel.. not many, maybe, but more.

While 12GB may sound like an average cap, it is only because that's the trend/expectation that eircom has set.. whcih doesn't make it right. At 12GB, I think a gamer or a broadband content subscriber would want to watch their limits, whereas at 30GB or more, I don't think so. NTL have no problem here, or in the UK with a 30GB limit .. which allows for lots of gaming, webcams, subscription downloads, iTunes, etc... without fuss or worry.

However, there's something that doesn't add up about Magnet. They claim to have no contention.. so a 2Mb pipe for each house in the estate.. they must have multi hundred megabit connections to each estate.. in which case 12GB or 120GB isn't going to make any difference to them, because when you're talking about that sort of down/upstrream, limits don't come into it, it's width/flow, not volume. So either they're lying about the no-contention, or they're purely out to take any reasonably heavy home user (which would include a decent online gamer) to the cleaners; I can't see any other explanation.

.cg

I bet their cashflow won't be great in the first few years. Are first time buyers full of money?

12 GIGS is rubbish tbh, u can upgrade the speed to 100mbps for a period on demand (this is not available yet- neither is VOD- what a supprise) then your cap won't last long. If i had 2mb i'd be watching movies legally off something like hollywood.com and fix cctv up to the net so i can keep an eye on the place while away. Wow, 12 gigs would go far there. What a waste of a service.

Would you be watching the cctv live feed 24/7? No.. Would you be watching movies 24/7? No.. Is it legal to watch movies in Ireland from a US site. I don't know but I doubt it. Theres a disclaimer on the Hollywood site about use outside the US.

For some reason people think people who want 2mb are only people who download a lot. Whereas I'm sure that there are people who are only on the web for a hour or so a day, but want it to be as fast as possible when they are online. Or maybe people who telework and fast access into their companies network, and to email large files and access online applications etc. But not need to download loads of data. Maybe access to realtime data etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

For some reason people think people who want 2mb are only people who download a lot. Whereas I'm sure that there are people who are only on the web for a hour or so a day, but want it to be as fast as possible when they are online. Or maybe people who telework and fast access into their companies network, and to email large files and access online applications etc. But not need to download loads of data. Maybe access to realtime data etc.

The whole idea as the internet gets faster is to do more things on it. Not restrict it. I might have the cctv on all day if i wanted to, if i had 2/3 kids the 12GB wouldn't last long. I could also run a webserver off it and perhaps get some set top box made like tivo that lets me watch stuff i've recorded wherever i have an internet connection.

The possibilities are endless, but Magnet have limited it. In 10 years speeds will be ALOT faster, and people will do more stuff over the net, why wait that long if the service is there now?

• Advertisement

How on earth can you use 12GB in two days? Every two days? How are you getting your 6GB a day at the moment?
    Mind your own god damn business.
    I want to be able to do a lot of data transfer, so do many others who want broadband products.
    All that rubbish is the major use of the internet???
    Which means what, exactly? It uses feck all in terms of bandwidth, with email and flight booking/goods purchasing, the difference between 512k and 2MB/s is negligible.
    I can see instances where you might need a bit download every so often, theres a Service pack, or distro release or a demo or two. But not every day of the year.
    Your ignorance is not my concern.

You don't have to buy this product, there are valid uses for fast access with a low cap. Because that doesn't suit you, theres no need to throw the toys out of the pram. Its also bit pointless posting something to a forum that you don't want to discuss. :rolleyes:

The possibilities are endless. But theres a cost factor. The service isn't "here" now. If it was this thread wouldn't exist.

You don't have to buy this product, there are valid uses for fast access with a low cap.
    And thus I shouldn't complain about a product I find inferior? Cram it.
    Because that doesn't suit you, theres no need to throw the toys out of the pram. Its also bit pointless posting something to a forum that you don't want to discuss. :rolleyes:
    Where did I say I didn't want to discuss it? I just don't have the inclination to tell you what I want a capless or near capless product for. It's not important. Businesses operate on the principal of "supply and demand", maybe you're not aware of this?
    As is shown all across America and Europe, there is demand for uncapped, high speed Internet products. What the user does with that is none of the Internet providers concern, they are "mere conduits".
    The possibilities are endless. But theres a cost factor. The service isn't "here" now. If it was this thread wouldn't exist.
    Which is why we're once again discussing it? There are people from these various service providers who read these forums in an "official" capacity, talking about it here is a method of feedback.

i thought the only valid argument for a cap is that it uses bandwith the isp cant spare, ie contention.

if theres no contention then theres no need for a cap?

with ftth cant they offer much higher speeds than 2 meg,
    i thought they could.

according to there claims they have a service that is capable of massive things , yet there crippling it for no particular reason.

to me previous point,
    i rang up
    them "where do you live"
    me oss the road from the housing estate you offer the service too"
    them "only available in that estate"
    me "that estate is expected to be finished mid 2006"

end of conversation

im not sure whats goin on with it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Keep it civil please.

ciaranfo wrote:
    So it's E30 a month to get 2Mbit/2Mbit a second with a 12GB cap..

or it's E38 a month to get 512Kbit/128Kbit a second with a 8GB cap..

I'd go for the former ;)

you forgot

E48 a month to get 1Mbit/1Mbit a second with no cap.

I'd go for that one!!! :D hehe

Shiny wrote:
    you forgot

E48 a month to get 1Mbit/1Mbit a second with no cap.

I'd go for that one!!! :D hehe
    are you making up your own priceplan?

where did you get that from?

Chalk wrote:
    are you making up your own priceplan?

where did you get that from?

em irish broadband......

did i miss something..... :confused:

are we only referring to wired operators ????

very confused now.

but thats what im paying........

ohh

i thought we were talking about www.magnet.ie as per the thread starter ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

12 megs at 2 mbit/sec is far better than the same amount of cap on 512k/sec. Although you can't download any more than on 512k, when you want a particular file, you can get if faster. You don't have to wait around as long. That is one of the main benefits of broadband.

I would prefer to have a larger cap or no cap, but other things being equal, the faster the connection the better.

I think the main problem would be for people who can't control their downloading. These people would tend to run out of cap very fast on this sort of service. Not a big deal for most people though.

I can see this being a selling point for houses in some areas. A few thousand added to the house price is not much given the insane amounts people are prepared to borrow for houses in this country. I don't see it being used in already built housing estates. I don't think Eircom will be worried or influenced by this.

Advertisement