Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best rap/hiphop song you have heard?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭col22

ubu wrote:
    Get your facts straight, 2001 was released in 1999
    Seriously, if you dont have something half intelligent to say dont bother saying it at all, your favourite song ever is multipy, because of "the bass in the background", that says a sh1t load about what you know about hiphop. lyrical content mean anything to you? didnt think so

cabbage
    i didnt say jus because of the bass i said i just love the bass in the background
    get your facts right

cabbage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Rapper's Delight - Sugarhill gang
    Next episode
    Dre's remix of Rolling Stone's Miss you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

col22 wrote:
    i didnt say jus because of the bass i said i just love the bass in the background
    get your facts right

cabbage!

Oh, right it must be because of the astounding lyrics so,
    lets see, "We back on line, We came to ride,
    We deal, We stack, We multiply
    We stay on the grind until we die"

nope, sorry nothing ground breaking there either.
    Maybe its because as i said already, you really dont have a clue about Hip-Hop.

Truth be told anything Xzibit has done since At The Speed Of Life has been sh1te, then again you probably never even heard that album, with songs like Paparazzi or The Foundation. Just because these songs didn't have Eminem or Dr.Dre starring/producing doesnt make them bad, in fact the opposite is true, it can have a positive effect on a song, not having the same formula applied to every song, honestly try it sometime, stray from what you find in the "urban" section in Golden Discs theres a world of quality, meaningfull, inspiring, uplifting Hip-Hop out there, with good beats and bass in the background, coz i know thats important to you.

Judging by the fact that you thought 2001 was actually released in 2001 and havent mentioned anything other than "x to tha z" and the game on here, im gonna make a few presumptions, you're probably too young to actually remember when it was actually released which would make you about 16 and thus you have only been exposed to MTV's version of Hip-Hop music which is utter crap to be honest and this the reason for your ignorance so its not really your fault but you can do something about it and id be more than willing to make a few recommedations if your willing to lift your head out of the box that its currently stuck in, just ask! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 50_pennies

My favourite rap song would be Boom Biddy Bye Bye- Cypress Hill.

Last greatest rap songs and album, before rap turned into pop would be Dre 2001.

http://www.dre2001.com/

1990 - 1999

R.I.P. Rap.

(1990 is when I started listening to it :))

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

sigh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

I suppose Xzibit made a money move hooking up with Dre.

He was class when he was rolling with the Liks.

Didn't they have a big falling out after he started rolling with Dre or something. They called him something like a "clique jumper" or "set changer" or something. Basically he used to roll with them and then he ****ed off with Dre et al.

Ah Paparazzi & The Foundation...tunage to the max!

Yeah basically they called him a sell-out and didn't want to be associated with him anymore.

Did he sell out to MTV? lol

Pimp my ride show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Isn't he off Aftermath now?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

He was never on aftermath.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭littlejay

ten crack comandments notorious big.
    serious slick lyrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

KRS One - Step into the World, the lyricism in that is dazzling, my favorite one ever has to be Brenda's Got a Baby though. Unreal.

As an aside, I feel the best English lyricist to be Klashnekoff from the Terrafirma.

In terms of beats 2001 or Get Rich would be by far and away the best in my opinion but in terms of lyrics they are repetitive and boring. In terms of lyrics I'd nominate Marshall Mathers LP or Get Free by Dead Prez. (And of course Fear of a Black Planet)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 King_of_NY

Couldn't narrow it down to one, but all of these are pretty f.uckin decent IMO;

Represent - Nas
    Gin N Juice - Snoop
    Method Man - Wu Tang
    Just to get a rep - Gangstarr
    Machine gun funk - Biggie

As for 'Ten Crack Commandments' .......you're spot-on there Little Jay, serious sh1t.

FTA......ya, agree about K-lashnakoff......you know that track 'Murda'?? Wicked sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Anything by the Pharcyde or KRS1

ubu wrote:
    Oh, right it must be because of the astounding lyrics so,
    lets see, "We back on line, We came to ride,
    We deal, We stack, We multiply
    We stay on the grind until we die"

nope, sorry nothing ground breaking there either.
    Maybe its because as i said already, you really dont have a clue about Hip-Hop.

Truth be told anything Xzibit has done since At The Speed Of Life has been sh1te, then again you probably never even heard that album, with songs like Paparazzi or The Foundation. Just because these songs didn't have Eminem or Dr.Dre starring/producing doesnt make them bad, in fact the opposite is true, it can have a positive effect on a song, not having the same formula applied to every song, honestly try it sometime, stray from what you find in the "urban" section in Golden Discs theres a world of quality, meaningfull, inspiring, uplifting Hip-Hop out there, with good beats and bass in the background, coz i know thats important to you.

Judging by the fact that you thought 2001 was actually released in 2001 and havent mentioned anything other than "x to tha z" and the game on here, im gonna make a few presumptions, you're probably too young to actually remember when it was actually released which would make you about 16 and thus you have only been exposed to MTV's version of Hip-Hop music which is utter crap to be honest and this the reason for your ignorance so its not really your fault but you can do something about it and id be more than willing to make a few recommedations if your willing to lift your head out of the box that its currently stuck in, just ask! :)
    well said! Any way its my opinion wat does it matter to you any way?

Im not 16!

Why did he diss Eazy E in one of his songs? I think he said, they thought I was a mark cuz I used to hang with eazy?

When Dre left NWA he and Eazy went at it over a couple of songs.
    Dre Day & Real mutha ****ing G's spring to mind.
    Eazy's was better

wreckin.gif
    All of a sudden Dr Dre is the G thang, but on his old album covers he was a she thang
    Dre on the far left.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭The Fitz

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 King_of_NY

When Dre left NWA he and Eazy went at it over a couple of songs.
    Dre Day & Real mutha ****ing G's spring to mind.
    Eazy's was better

wreckin.gif

Dre on the far left.
    :D

Ha ha, ya, and to think he had the cheek to dis Ice Cube.......the state of him! Anyway, Cube killed him, Easy, Ren and Yella on 'No Vaseline' - one of the best dis tunes ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

As Far as i know, "Disorder" was originally An Exploited song, if not 2 or 3 merged into one.
    daymobrew wrote:
    3rd Bass "Product of the Environment". 1989.
    Excellent bass.
    Lyrics:
    "I left more than a mark, I left a dent; I'm a product of the environment"

Eminem's "Lose Yourself" has a great energy.
    For anarchy, speed and noise you'd do well to beat Ice T/Slayer "Disorder" (Judgement Night soundtrack).

• Advertisement

fitzer666 wrote:
    lol
    well said fitzer!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭peeko

What about Kris Kross will make you jump!!!!!!

JK :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

More ghost-writing shenanigans going on there too.

Treach from NBN wrote Jump.

"I'm hittin' Jermaine in Atlanta cos he owe me loot for that Jump ****"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Tupac - changes
    Snoop Dogg - Wat my name?
    Nate Dogg and Warren G - regulate
    The Blackstreet - No Diggity

I really dunno wats the best, but these are my favourites. I have a few more but cant think of em. Well if i had to pick one i would definetly say Tupac. R.I.P. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Love Bloodrush by Creative Controle

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

Red Light, Green Light-Stones Throw,
    Concrete Schoolyard/Lesson 6/almost anything-Jurassic 5,
    Anything from Ninja Tunes,
    Provider-N*E*R*D*.
    Ive a few more all on sweet sweet vinyl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Aesop Rock - Daylight

can't believe no one mentioned this so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Rappers Delight!

Vicious Battle Raps was great as well.

Another one i listened to a lot was Friday Night-Ugly Duckling
    Maybe that was just me

can't believe no one mentioned this so far.
    A year ago I would have said Daylight but these days, especially after Bazooka Tooth, I've gotten sick of the guy. Labour Days and Float are great albums, but the whole Def Jux crew (with the exception of Lif and C Rayz) are just getting on my nerves, they seem to be different just for the sake of it these days. Especially El-P, the ginger bastards really irritating me these days. High Water was a horrible, horrible ****ing jazz album. He should be shot for making it.

• Advertisement

RJD2 is still making great records.
    As for Aesop Rock, I go through spells where I listen to him on and off, he's not the kind of rapper you can listen to all of the time.

Advertisement