Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish Game

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Bateman wrote: »
    What's the story with the Irish game, any news on it? Big Ben is in the country tonight and is having dinner with Dan Rooney in a city centre restaurant that I won't name. I think they are going to some event in the ambassador's residence tomorrow night. Hopefully to talk about getting this game on :D

There are a few Steelers going to London over the next few days to promote the game in September so I suppose he just stopped off here to catch up with Rooney before joining the rest of them. Rooney's no longer the ambassador but I suppose he was invited back as 'former ambassador' for tomorrow's July 4th party in Phoenix Park that happens every year.

I doubt they are here discussing a Dublin game anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Was having a laugh but that's probably the story alright, seemingly the thing where he spoke in London was last weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Was having a laugh but that's probably the story alright, seemingly the thing where he spoke in London was last weekend

Damn, my sarcasm meter is awful these days. You need to be adding smiley faces or something to let me know you're taking the pi$$

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

The Shamrock Bowl semi-finals are on this weekend in the Garda Sports Club in Westmanstown, Lucan.

Recent Atlantic Cup victors Belfast Trojans face off against the UL Vikings at Noon. TCD and Dublin Rebels is scheduled to start at 3pm. Admission is free of charge.

Well worth a watch if you have nothing planned on Sunday.

The winners of these matches will play in Shamrock Bowl 27 on Saturday 20th July in Tallaght Stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Met big ben yesterday at the ambassadors, tall guy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

Has any of the Irish teams ever gotten an NFL player to come down to a training session?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Couple of years ago Dhani Jones (ex LB with Bengals before he retired) was over in Ireland making a show for the discovery channel I managed to borrow about an hour of his time out in Lucan and arranged a few guys to go up to meet him/ go through a small bit of training.

Think we hosted an NFL punter in Castleknock 2 years ago but I didn't attend so my memory is hazy on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ggito

many websites can't open now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

It would be pretty amazing to have a game here. Between this and the college games being played here (and Notre Dame will be playing one in 2017 against possibly Boston College?) it doesn't seem too far fetched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

The IAFA would like to hear from any teams involved or playing Senior Flag Football in Ireland or any existing member IAFL teams that would like to participate and develop an Association based Flag Tournament or League. We would also welcome interest from any Female or Mixed teams that would like to consider developing a programme for games.
    Please contact alan@americanfootball.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Where's the best place to buy a decent American Football in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭WilhelmFink

I was thinking of joining a team now I'm in college.

When does the next season start?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

Season starts around november time, Teams are starting their recruitment/rookie training around now, I know the Bulldogs in Meath had their rookie day today.

Matthew, I've been looking in a few shops around Dublin for a ball but couldn't find any, best bet is probably just Ebay/Amazon. Decent quality ball for around the €40 mark.

Think amazon had a nice ball for 20 quid.

Does anyone know when the audit meeting is going to be held?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Late October according to the website. Last year they were held at the end of oct start of november from what I remember.

As for Footballs most of the teams order them online or get the league balls from the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

matthew8 wrote: »
    Where's the best place to buy a decent American Football in Ireland?

http://www.mcsport.ie/american-football-!579-cat.html

Edit: I don't know how decent you wanted or quality level, but it has the extra grip on it and decent price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Joined up with my local team last week and loved it

Defensive line much more fun than Offensive line :D

Anyone know where to look for good tips and drills etc online

Also any lads here who play lineman know what type of gym work etc to be putting in and work outside of training?

Thanks

raven136 wrote: »

Also any lads here who play lineman know what type of gym work etc to be putting in and work outside of training?

Thanks

Fair play to ya , the Reapers is it?

If it's D-Line a good link for drills / work would be ... http://www.dominos.ie ;-)

Just kiddin'

BKWDR wrote: »
    Fair play to ya , the Reapers is it?

If it's D-Line a good link for drills / work would be ... http://www.dominos.ie ;-)

Just kiddin'

No the soouth kildare soldiers

I have had years of dominos training :D:D

But lifting heavy the past few years so looking to put the bulk to good use ha

• Advertisement

No the soouth kildare soldiers

I have had years of dominos training :D:D

But lifting heavy the past few years so looking to put the bulk to good use ha

Nice, i'm sure you will be an asset to the team. Do update on how you are getting on !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

I read 5 new teams have applied for this season, Cork Admirals (reconstituted club), Dundalk Mavericks, Galway Warriors, South Kildare Soldiers, and Tyrone Titans. Plus a provisional application from University of Ulster Coleraine.

Anyone know if the league has a set number of new teams that are allowed into the league, or is it a case of if they pass the audit, and admin, etc; they will get in.

Anyone have any info on the how the league will be restructured this season?

We could have 20 teams next year.

Thanks

Strength and agility would be the main keys and Speed if you are an end. Youtube believe it or not has plenty of solid vids up there. I have stuff here but am in the process of moving to the US so if I get a chance I will dropbox some of it and will invite you to the folder. I was an offensive/defensive lineman before becoming a head coach with UCD and in my final year here with the Dragons was lineman coach and offensive coordinator.

Things to look out for on youtube:

2, 3 and 4 point stance. Some good vids on youtube perfecting the 4 point stance also.

Learn all the Techs also handy to know what they all are.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/08/12/defensive-line-techniques-the-prototypes/

Also search the rush techniques

http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/2/28/2003172/defensive-line-pass-rush-techniques

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Bukman13 wrote: »
    I read 5 new teams have applied for this season, Cork Admirals (reconstituted club), Dundalk Mavericks, Galway Warriors, South Kildare Soldiers, and Tyrone Titans. Plus a provisional application from University of Ulster Coleraine.

Anyone know if the league has a set number of new teams that are allowed into the league, or is it a case of if they pass the audit, and admin, etc; they will get in.

Anyone have any info on the how the league will be restructured this season?

We could have 20 teams next year.

Id say only 2 maybe 3 of those teams will play football in the new season. A lot of different stuff flying around right now but nothing will be concrete until the league has its agm and all the audits are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

TO. wrote: »
    Id say only 2 maybe 3 of those teams will play football in the new season. A lot of different stuff flying around right now but nothing will be concrete until the league has its agm and all the audits are done.

Even with only 3 teams coming in, it will make it possibly 9 teams in the SBC and 9 in the IAFL1. It will be interesting to see how the SBC divisions will be worked, if that is the case.

Bukman13 wrote: »
    Even with only 3 teams coming in, it will make it possibly 9 teams in the SBC and 9 in the IAFL1. It will be interesting to see how the SBC divisions will be worked, if that is the case.

Would be disastrous if iafl1 didin't go divisional next year. Lack of playoff structure kills it early for a lot most of the teams.

gufc21 wrote: »
    Would be disastrous if iafl1 didin't go divisional next year. Lack of playoff structure kills it early for a lot most of the teams.

But that means have a IAFL 1 Championship game. I know the UK their lower division do it but out of interest how does the lack of a playoff structure kill it though? With 2 games left in the season mathematically 4 teams could have won the league in the IAFL 1 in the season gone. And there is only 7 teams in it right now. If there was a playoff structure those same 4 teams would have been the semi finalists anyways. So it really didn't kill any competition this year. Just look at the top 3 teams all finished on the same points and the league was won by a tie breaker.

Strength and agility would be the main keys and Speed if you are an end. Youtube believe it or not has plenty of solid vids up there. I have stuff here but am in the process of moving to the US so if I get a chance I will dropbox some of it and will invite you to the folder. I was an offensive/defensive lineman before becoming a head coach with UCD and in my final year here with the Dragons was lineman coach and offensive coordinator.

Things to look out for on youtube:

2, 3 and 4 point stance. Some good vids on youtube perfecting the 4 point stance also.

Learn all the Techs also handy to know what they all are.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/08/12/defensive-line-techniques-the-prototypes/

Also search the rush techniques

http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/2/28/2003172/defensive-line-pass-rush-techniques

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Thanks for the tips
    Had 4 sessions so far,learning the basics of OLine and DLine,some good sessions,some bad :D

Also had a snap or two at full back

Great fun so far

Thanks for the tips
    Had 4 sessions so far,learning the basics of OLine and DLine,some good sessions,some bad :D

Also had a snap or two at full back

Great fun so far

Been playing o and d line wirh my own club since i started. Played with another team cause they were short of players for a game and got thrown in at fb and lb never had so much fun. Get as many snaps as you can at fb. Learn to drop the shoulder and drive through someone. Best craic ever.

• Advertisement

But that means have a IAFL 1 Championship game. I know the UK their lower division do it but out of interest how does the lack of a playoff structure kill it though? With 2 games left in the season mathematically 4 teams could have won the league in the IAFL 1 in the season gone. And there is only 7 teams in it right now. If there was a playoff structure those same 4 teams would have been the semi finalists anyways. So it really didn't kill any competition this year. Just look at the top 3 teams all finished on the same points and the league was won by a tie breaker.

Why not have a championship game? Do new teams not deserve a playoff run? I know the wolves have been told they can play on the main pitch for playoffs, they dont deserve that unless they get promoted? Next year there will be more teams, there will be more teams out of it before business end. Two divisions only way to go imo

Advertisement