Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband

Options
  • 16-01-2005 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hey,

I was looking at the 1.5mb package NTL have for only e50 a month. No doubt IMO the best boadband package in Ireland. Unfortuantely, its not available in my area.

Anyone who has NTL boradband, what do you think? And does anyone know when its coming our in the Ranelagh/Rathmines area?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

Who knows when it will arrive?! NTL are currently in the process of negotiating the sale of their entire cable network system, so I wouldn't expect that they will be doing much, if any, upgrading of their older network. And whatever company takes over ntl - again, who knows what they will do, or how long the sale will take?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

I have the 1.5MB broadband package and have to say its super! Haven't had any major problems for a while now. I think its by far the best package for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

Have the 300K package for a 8 months or so and had the 750k package for a year before that. No real problems ever encountered . Others say the customer service is bad but since I rarely have to call them it doesn't really bother me whether its good or not.

I wouldn't change to any alternative provider without a gun to my head. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i was onto ntl the other day (last wednesday i think) they said to me that upgrades are still going ahead as planned even though the person mentioned the sale of the company.

they also said they hope to haev Bray done by end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

i have the 1.5 mb package from NTL... its a great connection and ive never had any problems with it. I live in the city centre D2/D8 so ive only recently been able to get NTL broadband. I think i have it now about 2 months and its fantastic. Haven't had the need to call customer support yet. Hopefully i wont have to.

I was talking to the guy who installed it and he was saying that they are concentrating on switching on the city centre areas at the moment. This may include rathmines area as its city centre-ish.... so fingers crossed and it may be out your way soon. Look out for a flyer in your upcoming bills in the post... thats how i found out about it..

good news as well... soon they are making a 3mb package available for the same price as the current 1.5mb service as far as i know... happy days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ando

whats the story with the upgrading? Do they have to physically come to your house and change the coax?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

cableguy i don't know but i got the feeling you work for ntl.

if you do is there any info you can give me on the upgrade of bray.

if you don't work for ntl sorry to bother you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Hey,

I was looking at the 1.5mb package NTL have for only e50 a month. No doubt IMO the best boadband package in Ireland.

Wrong, cablesurf is the best package in Ireland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

ando wrote:
    whats the story with the upgrading? Do they have to physically come to your house and change the coax?

I dont see why the would have to change the coax??? Surely they would just enable something at the 'exchange'???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Do they have to physically come to your house and change the coax?
    No. They have to upgrade some nearby parts of their network to allow two-way communication.
    I have the 1.5Mb package for 5 months now. Totally love it. Only two outages in that time, related to local electricity outages.

When I got it installed the engineer added a splitter at the box so he could run a coax cable to a different room from my TV point. If I was using the existing TV point he would have only changed something at that point.

If you can get it do. You will have to take ntl basic cable if you don't already have it. This is like eircom and their line rental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

I got NTL Cable BB when it first came out, got the 512 package, the guy who installed it dropped down a new coax from the attic, and put a regular TV type connector on the wall in my room. On the odd occasion I have had that connected to my TV for watching something. Since then they have upgraded to a 600 connection and now a 750, no extra charge to me, I still pay what I agreed in the original contract.

One point to note, and the only problem I have ever had, was with the guy putting it in, he couldn't get my PC to recognize the cable modem, he thought it was a conflict with the V.90 modem i had in the PC. After working on it all day (11am - 8pm) he was no closer to getting it working and he managed to cause some funky errors in windows. He left saying that I might have to send my PC in to be repaired at the service center, and have to pay for it myself!! as he thought I had signed the contract which was also a waiver if he screwed up, I didn't and he was starting to sweat!! hehehe..... any way when he left I removed all the networking software from my PC and reinstalled it, within 40 mins I had the system up and running with my new BB connection happily running at ~450kbps.

So if you can fix something yourself don’t rely on NTL to do it for you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

cableguy wrote:
    Upgrades are still going on as usual in NTL. Nothing has stopped due to the upcoming sale. No idea of BB coming to Ranelagh\Rathmines area. Sale should be complete by april.(if we can beleive what the papers say)

how do you know the upgrade are going ahead?

D

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭sector

I'm using the ntl 1.5mbps service now almost a year & it's excellent.

Now to back that up I've used the following:

T1's in the US
    various adsl's from 256/128 right tu to 2mb/256kbps
    isdn's
    dialup's
    gprs via bluetooth & laptop etc
    9600bps

& several other lan type balanced connections and oh ye an web providers backbone and prob a bunch of examples I've forgotten, my point is that I know the difference between a decent connection & and an excellent connection and I've found the NTL 1.5 excellent, simple as that.

L8r

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

ive been using their 750k connection and the last few days its been as slow as dialup.is this something to do with the contention ratio? and if so would it be solved by going up to 1.5mb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

stagolee wrote:
    ive been using their 750k connection and the last few days its been as slow as dialup.is this something to do with the contention ratio? and if so would it be solved by going up to 1.5mb?

No, most likely to be an NTL problem. Do a couple of tracert to see where the problem is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 grrrrrrrrrrrr

what's the story on NTL cable being available in Galway? it was *supposed* to be going ahead this year and according to some even in february - any infos on that cableguy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Am I dreaming....

I am moving rented house to a first let place in Ringsendl with some mates.
    I rang NTL looking to figure out how much we'd have to fork out for connecting the TV... usual story E50 fee.

I mentioned broadband not expecting Ringsend to be enable however the dude said it was and that there was a special package as follows:

Reconnection Fee - free (tv / internet)
    Internet Charge - first 3 months free, subsequent 9 months E25 / month for 300kbps, E35 for 750 kpbs etc. etc.
    in addition you get the Basic TV free for 12 months for 17 channels or the Digital Package for a mere E10 / month

All 12 month contracts.

Did I hear right, this is an amazing offer, why aren;t they promoting it?

Am I dreaming....

I rang NTL looking to figure out how much we'd have to fork out for connecting the TV... usual story E50 fee.

I mentioned broadband not expecting Ringsend to be enable however the dude said it was and that there was a special package as follows:

Internet Charge - first 3 months free, subsequent 9 months E25 / month for 300kbps, E35 for 750 kpbs etc. etc.
    in addition you get the Basic TV free for 12 months for 17 channels or the Digital Package for a mere E10 / month

All 12 month contracts.

As they cannot offer nationwide coverage just a pocket of areas !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Paul007

Got a card through my door from NTL today entitled Network Improvement Programme.
    It said the cable that runs along the fascia board of my house will be replaced shortly.
    I haven't had a chance to ring them to get more info but does it sound like broadband is being rolled out in my area or could it just be general maintenance?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Has anyone heard anything about NTL rolling out BB in Dublin 15, specifically Clonsilla? I know they'd started in D.15 but I haven't heard anything in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Am I dreaming....

All 12 month contracts.

They do in the areas where it is available....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

stagolee wrote:

got the same package as yourself and have had no problems other than CRAP customer service and installation difficulties.http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=214880 (see here)
    i'd get onto them about that asap. be warned though, u'll be waiting a long time for them to sort it!!!

that said, very pleased with the package.

zaph wrote:
    Has anyone heard anything about NTL rolling out BB in Dublin 15, specifically Clonsilla? I know they'd started in D.15 but I haven't heard anything in a while.

I have it here in D15 in Castleknock.

Drapper wrote:

its varies from street to street. just because someone has it in D15 etc. doesnt mean that everyone in D15 is guaranteed to get it. better off phoning them and they'll tell u in 20 sec (assuming u can get through to the bastards)

Anyone have a clue when the upgrdes are coming ?

And how much of an upgrade will come? :D

no and no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Colly

Drapper wrote:

I am in Carpenterstown Riverwood Rd and I have it not too far from Clonsilla so there near. I am in a new estate like 12 months old so the cabling mught have been layed with Broadband in mind.

Colly wrote:
    I am in Carpenterstown Riverwood Rd and I have it not too far from Clonsilla so there near. I am in a new estate like 12 months old so the cabling mught have been layed with Broadband in mind.

NTL actinf up in Dublin 15 ??

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭sector

stagolee, you may have a virus or something, sit there & do nothing & assuming your on 2000 or XP open the properties of the connection & see if it's busy or quiet.

If there are lots of packets sending & receiving you might have a problem, let us know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

zaph wrote:

Zaph - I am down on Castlefield and rang then a couple of weeks ago ... no joy although it is available in Roselawn estate.

Advertisement