Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What classic cars?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Silvera wrote:
    Cheers lomb.

When I looked more closely at the car afterwards, it had loads of metal patches under the wheelarches ! :eek: :D

:D:D:D:D:D
    il give them a ring tomorrow morning and find out when the next one is and il report back. should be good for a good laugh ;)

i am being unfairly harsh perhaps as some owners do cherish their baby. but these 'babies' rarely come up for sale in this country as there are very few of them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

qz wrote:
    My Dad's gone and bought himself a 1969 MGc Roadster, exactly like this except it has wire wheels:

mgcroadster.jpg

Hi QZ

How did you get the full photo of the MGB to appear like that - thats much better than opening links - any help would be appreciated :)

Jag4.jpg

Mmmm - just testing - I know now thanks :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

I have a 1979 Porsche 911 sc, with the full sport pack- fuchs, tail, shocks, full leather- its a lovely car, definitely not every day, so its in dry storage til the summer. I have pics here on my pc, but I have no idea how to put them in a post. I was thinking of selling it and getting a Testarossa for my 30th next year.
    Or is this a classic....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

went crazy with my bro and got rusty Honda N600 :)

good news the next merlin classic car auction will be end of jan / middle of feb but no date fixed yet. will come up on website www.merlincarauctions.ie and she also mentioned to ring back in a fortnight

oh dont buy anything there unless u know what ur doing my experiance of it was he was bidding up a car by pointing to me even though i wasnt bidding and my friend and i were the only ones on that side of the auction. all very iffy never mind the cars:D :D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

1984 Mercedes 200T (W123)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

1964 Land rover Series IIA 109

tailgate.jpg

perky.jpg

some more

http://www.johnlanigan.com/images/dec04/bhead_in_progress.jpg

http://www.johnlanigan.com/images/dec04/bhead_051204.jpg

http://www.johnlanigan.com/images/dec04/bhead_051204_2.jpg

someday it'll be finished.

someday

oh, and I'm trying to get a sixties mustang in from the states at the minute, all in the planning, but flights and accomodation are booked and costs are worked out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Silvera wrote:
    Yeah, the P1800 is a cool car. I know of a guy who has recently purchased a mint silver '67 P1800 - which he intends to use as his daily drive !!

I opted for the sports estate version; the 1800ES.
    Here's my pride and joy.
    DSC00565.jpg
    DSC00522.jpg

btw: For the benefit of Ei2JC, a classic car doesn't have to be a porsche or Rolls. Morris Minors, Beetles, Fiat 600's, and Minis are all 'classic' in their own right, and lots of other affordable cars would qualify as well. It's a subjective thing of course, but any old car that had some distinctive qualities when new (be they stylistic, technical or social) is probably a 'classic' to someone. I might not care for Cortinas myself (bar the Mk1 lotus jobbies), but they certainly represent a picture of family motoring of a certain era, and therefore deserve preservation. One man's meat is another man's poison, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

alastair wrote:

btw: For the benefit of Ei2JC, a classic car doesn't have to be a porsche or Rolls. Morris Minors, Beetles, Fiat 600's, and Minis are all 'classic' in their own right, and lots of other affordable cars would qualify as well. It's a subjective thing of course, but any old car that had some distinctive qualities when new (be they stylistic, technical or social) is probably a 'classic' to someone. I might not care for Cortinas myself (bar the Mk1 lotus jobbies), but they certainly represent a picture of family motoring of a certain era, and therefore deserve preservation. One man's meat is another man's poison, etc.

Alatair : point well made - thank you ......like I consider my 04 Audi A4 TDI Quattro to be a classic........!

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

Kersh,
    you lucky so-and-so :D ...... I'm still waiting for the day when I get a Porsche 911 SC ! :(

What colour is it ?
    Import, or original Irish reg ?

Gmodified,
    Where did you come across the N600 ? Talk about 'hens teeth !?!

BTW, shoudn't we move to the new classics forum guys ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

Paul (MN) wrote:
    1984 Mercedes 200T (W123)

Great to see an original reg W123 in such good nick !

especially an estate version !!

Well done, Paul(MN).

(P.S. Does your (MN) represent Monaghan ?)

Its original Irish, gold/bronze colour. Its lovely. Great car, if you can live with its quirks. I got it in september 2003. Its usually only out on summer days. Itll be for sale soon too... :) , as will all the other cars too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

@ Alastair; That is a seriously clean engine bay. Do you use the car as a daily driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,800 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Some nice classics in here already :)

Any pics of the 911, Kersh?

@Gmodified - was the N600 ever sold here or anywhere in Europe for that matter? I don't remember ever seeing one

Said it before and will say it again: nice 1800ES, alastair :)
    Silvera wrote:
    (P.S. Does your (MN) represent Monaghan ?)

Motornet ;)

Ye I found a few, here they are: If I knew how to post them straight up I would instead of using links.
    The other 911 in background is not mine.. :( .
    These were taken when I picked it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

unkel wrote:
    Some nice classics in here already :)
    ..... was the N600 ever sold here or anywhere in Europe for that matter? I don't remember ever seeing one

There was only few of them around. Most of them imported by Des Cullen and I beleve he has picture of it in his office :) . It was brand new when he had it:)
    it needs 1.000.000 hrs of work at the moment so it will take some time before we go to race Civic's in Mondello ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

Silvera,

Credit is due to previous owner. I've only had it 5 months.

MN is for MotorNet :(

Kersh wrote:
    Ye I found a few, here they are: If I knew how to post them straight up I would instead of using links

Nice :)

To "post them straight up" you need to have the pics hosted somewhere first. You can do that in your webspace (easy peasy, just a click)
    right here on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BlueDrax

Lets see if I can get this photo thing working:

Porsche 911 Carrera SC ('81)
    Porsche-01.jpg
    Triumph TR6
    TR6-02.jpg
    Triumph TR7
    TR7-01.jpg

Work on the Triumphs stopped while I was rebuilding a '92 MR2 Turbo. Can an MR2 be counted as a classic?

BlueDrax wrote:
    Can an MR2 be counted as a classic?

Classic is in the eye of the beholder ;)

• Advertisement

eljono wrote:
    @ Alastair; That is a seriously clean engine bay. Do you use the car as a daily driver?

Not a chance. It's a sunny-day-only affair.
    The condition of the engine bay is down to the previous owners. I'm just keeping it that way. You have to admire the conscientious way old english duffers look after their motors. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Marginally off-topic, because it wasn't mine, but...

My Dad bought a 356 B Coupe in 1977 for what would today amount to €500. Needed a lot doing. He got it restored and resprayed frog-green (a savage, I tell ya). He then sold it back on the year after (1978) for what would today amount to €2000-ish. :eek:

I've still not forgiven him - nor let him forget :D

ambro25 wrote:
    Marginally off-topic, because it wasn't mine, but...

My Dad bought a 356 B Coupe in 1977 for what would today amount to €500.

My Da had a Bristol 406 (Made by the people who made airplanes, and with the same methods - aluminium bodies and streamlining.) for a fair dose of the eighties. In the end the restoration got too much for his wallet and he sold it on. Expensive car when new too - you could have got a couple of Aston Martin DB's for it's original price tag. I've seen another one for sale in that classic garage near Beggers Bush a couple of years back.

tn_406.jpg

i dont think people realise how much proper restorations cost. ur man on discovery bought a jag etype series 2 4.2 cabrio and spent 120000 euro restoring it. and parts are readily available for the etype! :eek:

sure what hope has anyone got of buying a clapper out of a car auction or even privately. essentially u want one where some rich or insane guy has spent the dollars then gone broke doing it and then he had to sell it or rich guy got bored and u take advantage of it, there arent too many examples of this on cars like tr7s etc but there are plenty in the uk on etypes and rollers and cars that arouse passion.

also u can try to take advantage of the late 80s when classic prices were sky high and cars received expensive restoration as it was worth it then. u def want one where the money has been spent and i reakon thats like finding a needle in a haystack in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Speaking of e-types... Don't mean to hi-jack or anything, but there was a sky-blue metallic one, ragtop down, IE reg, all on its own on hard shoulder of M50 Northbound just after Leopardstown last Saturday afternoon (2:30-ish) :eek:

Anybody in here lost theirs? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

excellent to see another tr7 will be on the rd again soon Bluedrax. Was it an Irish car? Anyway I wish you luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Btw if your having any trouble getting air filter elements for the tr7. I changed mine over to k+N filters and I have 2 brand new boxed elements.
    They are of the panel type. If Ya need em' let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

I have a 1979 chevrolet (not a rebadged daewoo chevrol-EH?) G30 1 ton van with a cobra campervan conversion.( 5.7 L V8 engine) . I have just bought 2 reliant scimitars (3L V6) one as a daily driver one as parts back-up /resto' project.
    The camper is an ongoing 70's custom van / passion wagon project.

http://www.geocities.com/irishskateparkforum/chevy

chevy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

My fleet attached:

1972 Alfa Romeo Montreal
    1964 Ford Cortina Mk1 GT (Grey)
    1965 Ford Cortina Mk1 GT (Green)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Nice cars - love the grey Cortina - and that Montreal looks like it just left the showroom :D

Advertisement