Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyslexia and the internet

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I am dyslexic as well. It was strange I would see the word but I could`nt make the connection between the sounds of the letters and the sounds of the words . It is hereditary my father has it. I had problems with reading, writing and Maths.
    Dyslexic or dyslexia is not a hard word to spell. Just spell it phonetically and visualise it as you go along .
    Dyslexia is not a disability or a disease as referred to by one poster. Your brain is merely wired differently and you think differently, you think out side the box. Lucy_la_morte don`t be jealous of dyslexic people if you just let your self go you can be just as creative.
    There is no quick test to see if you have dyslexia which is a good thing considering all the different varieties and levels of dyslexia out there. To be diagnosed with dyslexia you have to be assessed by a psychologist.
    I agree with wath bob unlucky octopus had to say, it is a very intriguing aspect of the human brain. Every one should write with a proper pen, if you write with a biro if just f*cks up your writing. My writing is messy and I write with a fountain pen and it helps to keep it legible.
    So far in my life I have had two remedial teachers been to light therapy and went to a special school for dyslexic children called Oliver Plunketts. Which was not easy to get into, my parent got me in on the second try and they both did a lot of pushing at people particularly my father to get me help. Has any one been to Oliver Plunketts or had any experience of light therapy?.
    I was lucky as I was diagnosed early and it was spotted by my teacher in first class, but was suggested earlier on by my father. And I have had no hassle from teachers.
    I am now exempt from languages including Irish which was not easy to get and I am going to apply for extra time for my Leaving Certificate in 2005.
    I have a couple of questions to throw out here; when I was younger a student teacher tried to make me read by placing a piece of coloured plastic over the writing, I was wondering out of curiosity does this have any basis any where? perhaps bob unlucky octopus can help me out here. What annoys you the most about being dyslexic? for me it would be people who use dyslexia as an excuse and don’t make the effort. If some one is severely dyslexic I can understand it I had it badly my self I could`nt read when I was nine or ten. But I worked hard at it (my dyslexia) and as a result I improved in all effected areas except for I can't learn by reading I learn by listening, but I think it has improved to a degree because I have a good memory it doesn't disappear completely but it can be improved upon. It bothers me quite a lot when people don`t make an effort and they think they can get away with it because they are dyslexic.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Sparkle

I dnot veha dslyxaie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Originally posted by Sparkle
    I dnot veha dslyxaie

Oohh, aren't you the intelligent one!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Sparkle

:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

Sparkle is banned
    any one going to guess why?

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

he's a vacuous idiot who added nothing to the debate?

Am I right, am I right??

/me points at his chest like Mutley "medalmedalmedalmedalmedal!

DeV.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by mrblue
    Spelling, like table manners, is a code of practice thought up by people with nothing better to do.

Don't know if you have been watching/listening to Melvin Bragg about the history of the english language - but a lot of typo's and bad writing, regional variations and mispellings were copied by the monks and fixed by the printers. No two surviving signatures of Mr Shakespere are spelt the same way (aparently).
    Try Spanish or Italian - phonetic langagues

BTW: I'm the other type of semi-illiterate - I can type faster than I can write legibly, in fact I'm the only person I know whose writing noticably improved in College.

PS. What is DNA ? - It's the National Dsyslexic Association ;).

Supprised no one has mentioned White yet ! - I've heard that using off-white paper makes it easier to read so some people - is this true (make a great excuse for using recycled paper)

Does anyone use pale yellow instead of white for Web or Apps ?

[edit]it was Catherine the Great (Russia) who introduced the idea of different courses to Europe - before they put all the food out and stretch or starve - you can blame the Victorian Neauve Riche (SP) for all the cutlery eg: spoons for grapefruit / fish slice etd. [/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

I think spelling and grammar count. Writing is an activity undertaken to share one's ideas with others; when the normal conventions are followed, one's ideas are more clearly available and don't need to be puzzled over.

Most native speakers have grammar, that is syntax and morphology, down well enough. But it is surprising the amount of quasi-illiterate postings that can be found on Boards. It's a real pain reading posts from people who don't seem to know the difference between there/their/they're or how to use the apostrophe. It really makes me wonder about the Irish educational system.

A lot of times it's possible to tell that a poster is a person with reading or learning disorders; sometimes the errors are just so far off the mark that it's obvious that casual laziness isn't at question. I can't imagine what it's like. It must be frustrating.

But the habit otherwise unfettered people have of ignoring apostrophes, or capitalization, or ordinary spelling conventions like "you" instead of "u" isn't cute; it's lazy and ignorant. If it's worth saying, it's worth taking the time to clothe it in standard garb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by Doc
    There are a huge number of dyslexic Architects around.

Richard Rogers the designer of the Lloyds building is a notable example.

Apparently left handers are also more highly represented among architects than among the general population

I read somwhere that a high percentage of dyslexics are left handed. Any truth in this? (As a citeog myself I'm interested) Maybe theres a pattern here?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by DeVore
    he's a vacuous idiot who added nothing to the debate?

Am I right, am I right??

/me points at his chest like Mutley "medalmedalmedalmedalmedal!

Hmmm personal insult, from an Admin, breaking charter rules, can't ban him, probably on a morphine high, let it slide.

Replying to this warning will result in a ban (or your post deleted , careful now;))

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Im dyslexic and only found out in march 2004 as my mam had suspicions i took a test with pictures and block arranging etc. im in 4th year at the mo and no teachers picked it up threw primary school or secondary school they just thought i was dumb what a **** country:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by The Real B-man
    no teachers picked it up threw primary school or secondary school they just thought i was dumb what a **** country:rolleyes:
    If I was cynical I'd have said it was because of cost savings - teachers not getting the training and even if you were diagnosed then there might not have been the resources - so why bother - remember some people have had to go through the high court to get an education - :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by The Real B-man
    Im dyslexic and only found out in march 2004 as my mam had suspicions i took a test with pictures and block arranging etc. im in 4th year at the mo and no teachers picked it up threw primary school or secondary school they just thought i was dumb what a **** country:rolleyes:

Well done teachers! Big fat benchmarking awards all round I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Supprised no one has mentioned White yet ! - I've heard that using off-white paper makes it easier to read so some people - is this true (make a great excuse for using recycled paper)
    Ooh, this thread hasn't been touched in over a year :D Dig dig dig.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention that the disorder mentioned by Capt'n Midnight is known as Scotopic Sensitivity Syndrome (or sometimes Irlen Syndrome), and is commonly mistaken for a sign of dyslexia.
    It is more or less sensitivity to light that can affect a number of things, in this case reading.

It is still widely unheard of, but many people who display symptoms of dyslexia have found that they experience an immediate improvement in their reading following being diagnosed and treated for Scotopic Sensitivity Syndrome.
    Quite a lot of people suffer from it and don't even know that it exists.

Treatment for it involves something as simple as having coloured lenses or a plastic screen to place over reading material (coloured to suit your specific individual needs) prepared for you, which you can then use when reading.

For more information, check out http://www.irlen.com/

Also, I don't know if anybody has mentioned it yet, but Albert Einstein was dyslexic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Bard wrote:
    taking the p|ss out of someone's spelling is neither big nor clever.
    True, but when someone makes fun of someone else's spelling or grammar, and then you can point out that that post was full of spelling and gramatical errors - funny.

Also l33t speak and other deliberately bad spelling or downright lazy grammar is not in the same category. After all when you consider that there are people who (whether because of dyslexia or another reason) have difficulty reading well-written posts, how the hell are they meant to cope with (r4p |1k3 th15.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭atheist

Have any of you other dislyxics have the ability to read upside down and/or mirrored text almost as quickly as normal? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Personally, I will ask someone to make an effort to try and spell correctly if I have a lot of trouble reading their post. For some reason I have a lot of difficulty reading something with a lot of spelling mistakes.

I do appreciate the problem that dyslexics have when it comes to written communication and I do sympathise and try to be understanding. But I do not think that it's out of line to ask someone to spell check a post or to try to spell correctly. I don't work off the assumption that people with poor spelling have dyslexia. It doesn't work that way.

And in my days in college I've seen a small number of people with "dyslexia". The kind that only comes up around exams and doesn't effect them at any other time of year. I have sympathy for anyone who actually suffers from it, but I got quite a bit pissed off with people faking it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement