Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jon Venables and Robert Thompson - re-offenders?

Options
13»

Comments

I dont have the figures but amnesty does I was with amnesty as a student and the figures were amazing. Its got to do with the increased security for suicide watch, the amount of appeals allowed, the special services like counseling its loads. If you doubt me that much I can check it out but if you log onto amnesty you will be surprised.

I'll have a look, but it would suprise me if the proceedings leading to the Death penalty being enacted would be larger than the costs involved in maintaining a prisoner for the next 70-80 years...
    As for difference between life and death ask someone on death row in amarica again you will get an eye opener

Ahh but you're comparing someone who is facing death, as opposed to people who were facing imprisonment for the rest of their natural life's (Since there is no death penalty, and you seemed to advocate no review).
    As for understanding I have loads. I was so amazed by it I followed it every day and not in the sun. I also read the book which gives all the detailed facts about how there twisted minds worked in trying to conceal the evidence and the attempts they really went to.

You made the reference in that you would understand as a parent. Not someone who has read the facts of the case. There is a difference there.
    The real life sentence her is not to these 2 but to the mother of jamie bulger. Can you imagine not been able to see your child because he was so badly destroyed. It had an effect on the police that has affected them to this day. Just read the fathers comments if you want to see the effects

I've read those comments, and I feel for him. I can't imagine how he feels because I have never been in a similar situation. I was horrified when the murder occurred and again when I reread the details of the case recently.
    So really I am entitled to an opinion.becuase I guarantee you this if it were my child I would be dead or gone mental becuase the site that greated them was unbelievable

I have no problem with an opinion. Anyone's opinion is valid. But it is taking on the viewpoint of the parent, when you don't have any real experience of the situation, that's what I object to.
    Lastly just to really show how crime pays: They will be given accomadation and a welfare allowence and all the help to settle back in they need. So really while all there class mates who have struggled throught the years since are probably on the dole because of the recession in england they are nice and snug.... It seems crime really does pay.

They will have to settle in a society they have no knowledge of. They have been imprisoned since they were kids, and haven't grown up in it. They only really know prison, and changing to living amongst other people will be quite a change. Add in the knowledge that should anyone find out who they are and what they did, they'll probably lose any friendship or relationships. Throw in the area of people who would do violence to them if their identity was released, then rejoining society is quite a dodgy undertaking.

With the government tightening up on expenses, I wouldn't think these "perks" would last very long. Since the conditions of their release haven't been released, its quite possible there's strict terms to ensure that these "perks" stay in place. I really don't know.
    Oh as for reoffending, the tree strikes rule does not apply here, the slate is clean, So if they shoplife, ahh you poor thing, if they rob, detention and if they rape or murder, ahh victum of society, There past record in gone. Not visable on any system but the home office. All in an effort to protect them!

If they were arrested for anything their record would show up to the investigating officers. And since they were previous offenders, no judge would allow them freedom should they do anything outside of the law.

Aye, excellent set of quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I dont go for that quoting and unquoting it gets to confusing

The figures are correct on amesty I guarantee it.

if i were not a parent i prob would not have so much interest.

On the rest i think you mean thats good

as for reoffending, no this wont apear I checked before for another situation - guaranteed its only the home office that knows

I dont go for that quoting and unquoting it gets to confusing

The figures are correct on amesty I guarantee it.

if i were not a parent i prob would not have so much interest.

On the rest i think you mean thats good

as for reoffending, no this wont apear I checked before for another situation - guaranteed its only the home office that knows

Actually the quoting makes it easier to get your point across, especially on longer posts, but no real worries. I get what you're saying.

I think anyone would have an interest regardless of whether they're parents or not. Most people will someday have kids, or have family that have kids. So its a topic that hits all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

It doesn't matter what's cheaper. No civilized society has a death penalty.

rantyface wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what's cheaper. No civilized society has a death penalty.

I guess I consider Life Imprisonment without chance of review/parole as being just as bad. I think I'd kill myself rather than have to live my life like that..

• Advertisement

I guess I consider Life Imprisonment without chance of review/parole as being just as bad. I think I'd kill myself rather than have to live my life like that..

Now your learning a very important lesson. Make the punishment severe and it usually stops the crime :D

Crime does not pay...Robocop!

Now your learning a very important lesson. Make the punishment severe and it usually stops the crime :D

Crime does not pay...Robocop!

Is it about punishment or rehabilitation?

As for learning, I've been an advocate for harsh sentencing for years. I just prefer to know where people stand on these things, when their posts are unclear.

I understand the rehabilatation line and agree but if you have extreme cases like say fred west, Rehab is impossible so heavy sentence is the only possibility equally in ireland planned premed murders like Rachael O Reilly should be like because there is so much planning.premed and then murder here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement