Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jon Venables and Robert Thompson - re-offenders?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

None of our decisions bear any influence over this. This is a bulletin board where people post their opinions. Which is extremely obvious, so why bother saying so? Really...

Im aware that this is a bulletin boards, my point was that its not for anybody to say how a victims mother should or should not behave. If she wants to remind people of this horrendous crime through the media then thats her right, NOT my opinion, but HER RIGHT legally.
    Actually, for my part, I say let the issue be forgotten because the court has ruled, and the punishment has been applied.

Thats your opinion and you are more than entitled to it, but if you dont mind me asking, why do you think it should be forgotten, and can you honestly say you would still feel that way if the issue was closer to you
    If we're going to talk about the murder of children, fine, do so.

Im a bit lost here, what exactly are you trying to point out??? They were 10 yrs old and they tortured and murdered a toddler after abducting him from a shopping mall, its tantamount to the issue. Are you trying to say that all the details should be forgotten???
    But the issue of these offenders is over. The court of law has pretty much decided they've served their time.

Of course it isnt, and they were sentenced at her majesties leisure. Correct me if Im wrong, but thats a legal term meaning that there has been no set date for thier release, and its dependant on the risk of re-offending. And in the case of moira hindley, it was public opinion, and her victims mothers outrage that kept her behind bars till her death, WHERE SHE BELONGED.
    So to say that the issue is over and we have no influence is like saying we dont have a vote, which is obviously not the case
    Pretty much. But society revolves around being polite about just about everything.

Yawn :rolleyes: Must I point out the irony???

Aside from the fact? You've made your stance clear, so how can this be aside the fact? You point out people who dress up their comments, and yet you're pretty much doing the same. Its a bit like saying "With Respect,...". :rolleyes:

Ok I'll try saying it ssslllooowwwllly! Aside from the fact that I dont believe they are entitled to thier freedom actually means,"putting my opinion to one side" ! Is that any clearer??
    I then asked a question which you failed to answer, and I'll re-iterate it in case it was confusing,
    "What way would you feel if they were released and they re-offended?, would you feel bad for the proposed victim"
    The release of any person who has served time in prison is a risk.

Should the risk and the crime not be assessed??? Its not like they burgled a house, surely your not suggesting that the actual crime be ignored when assessing the release of perpetrators :eek::eek:
    But the simple fact is that the British don't have corporal punishment, and keeping them in prison for the rest of their natural lives isn't really an option.

Ive just pointed out that it is
    Better to released them while they're not too bitter about being stuck in prison for those years, and capable of reforming.

Yes cause heaven forbid their character gets warped and twisted from being incarcerated :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    the irony is killing me
    I do believe they need to be monitored more than most released prisoners

far too often we have seen this failing,how are they going to be monitored with new IDs

but they should be given the chance to deal with what they've done.

Should they really, why's that now
    Perhaps they've taken the true measure of what they did, and now wish to act positively?

And perhaps moira hindley truely was sorry etc etc :rolleyes: they should never see the light of day. Would you be as forgiving if there was a chance they would move near you???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

carlybabe1 wrote: »
    And perhaps moira hindley truely was sorry etc etc :rolleyes: they should never see the light of day. Would you be as forgiving if there was a chance they would move near you???

Just to clarify, you're advocating actual life imprisonment for murder with no exceptions here right?

DSB wrote: »
    Just to clarify, you're advocating actual life imprisonment for murder with no exceptions here right?

Absolutely not, as I posted previously, I do advocate the severity and callousness of the crime should be taken into consideration. Wthout opening the can of worms of circumstances, I do believe that when a perpetrator gleans enjoyment from commiting the crime then they should not ever be released, the risk is just that, a risk. And the consequences are far too high to justify taking that risk

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Absolutely not, as I posted previously, I do advocate the severity and callousness of the crime should be taken into consideration. Wthout opening the can of worms of circumstances, I do believe that when a perpetrator gleans enjoyment from commiting the crime then they should not ever be released, the risk is just that, a risk. And the consequences are far too high to justify taking that risk

I do agree with this. I don't think their living arrangements should be harsh or anything but as they are potentially a threat I don't think the public should face the risk. Same goes for rapists/sexual predators.

I do agree with this. I don't think their living arrangements should be harsh or anything but as they are potentially a threat I don't think the public should face the risk. Same goes for rapists/sexual predators.

+++1
    thanks for that, I was beggining to feel medievil (sp?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭PullOutMethod

OP, you've got to differentiate between the 2 perpetrators.
    As far as I recall it was child A (Venables) who was the instigator.
    Child B (Thompson) apparently was one of those kids who are easily led and just went along with whatever others suggested.
    Of course it was a heinous crime, but I don't think the punishment should have been borne equally.
    So I do have some sympathy for Thompson.
    As far as the other one is concerned I regard him like something out of the Chucky movies - apparently that is exactly the movies he had been watching prior to the murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

To clarify (because the account earlier was inaccurate): they beat him with rocks, bricks and an iron bar, and splattered him with paint, "manipulated" his penis, and put batteries in his mouth (causing electric shocks), and left on the tracks where a train cut him in half. They didn't cut off his fingers, rub paint in his eyes or put batteries in his anus.

Come on, really... is it that hard to get your quotes written correctly? There is an edit button.
    carlybabe1 wrote:
    Im aware that this is a bulletin boards, my point was that its not for anybody to say how a victims mother should or should not behave. If she wants to remind people of this horrendous crime through the media then thats her right, NOT my opinion, but HER RIGHT legally.

People regularly make their opinions known about how people should or shouldn't behave on these boards. Why is this any different? You yourself are saying how others should act.
    Thats your opinion and you are more than entitled to it, but if you dont mind me asking, why do you think it should be forgotten, and can you honestly say you would still feel that way if the issue was closer to you

If it was closer to me? You mean geographically or emotionally? If you mean location, I wouldn't really care. I'm currently living in Athlone where there are plenty of people who have seen the inside of jails for violent crimes. I've also lived in Dublin, London, Paris etc. Plenty of violent crime there.

As for why it should be forgotten, I don't mean the act in itself. Rather, the feeding frenzy with the media serves no purpose. The murder is known to most people in the Uk and Ireland, and isn't likely to be forgotten. I just don't see any point with constantly bringing it up. I have the same kind of feelings regarding Princess Diana, and plenty of other topics which the media loves to focus on.
    Im a bit lost here, what exactly are you trying to point out??? They were 10 yrs old and they tortured and murdered a toddler after abducting him from a shopping mall, its tantamount to the issue. Are you trying to say that all the details should be forgotten???

I'm talking about there being two subjects here. The first being Jon Venables and Robert Thompson themselves, and secondly the actual act of murder by children towards other children. Its about the manner of this discussion.

And you're jumping to conclusions, by saying i wish the subject forgotten. I never said that. Just because I'm not agreeing with you, don't put words where there are none.
    Of course it isnt, and they were sentenced at her majesties leisure. Correct me if Im wrong, but thats a legal term meaning that there has been no set date for thier release, and its dependant on the risk of re-offending. And in the case of moira hindley, it was public opinion, and her victims mothers outrage that kept her behind bars till her death, WHERE SHE BELONGED.
    So to say that the issue is over and we have no influence is like saying we dont have a vote, which is obviously not the case

Do you have anything to suggest that they would re-offend? i'm sure they have been under psychological observation and their tests would influence whether the courts decide to retain them for longer. Aside from their original murder, they may have shown some degree of remorse for their crime?

As for saying we don't have a vote, well... we don't.
    Yawn Must I point out the irony???

Nope. I guess you can't even see when I happen to agree with you. But I can't say I'm too suprised by your reaction. :rolleyes:
    Ok I'll try saying it ssslllooowwwllly! Aside from the fact that I dont believe they are entitled to thier freedom actually means,"putting my opinion to one side" ! Is that any clearer??

Which you fail to do, so why bother? And drop the sarcasm, you're not particularly good at it.
    I then asked a question which you failed to answer, and I'll re-iterate it in case it was confusing,
    "What way would you feel if they were released and they re-offended?, would you feel bad for the proposed victim"

Sure, i would. But I believe in a persons chance to be reformed and re-introduced into society. Otherwise we might as well, start killing every offender just in case they re-offend. Would you advocate such mass murder?
    Should the risk and the crime not be assessed??? Its not like they burgled a house, surely your not suggesting that the actual crime be ignored when assessing the release of perpetrators

have I said that their behavior shouldn't be evaluated? Do you really think they're going to released without tests and evaluations being made? I've already said that they should be monitored more closely than other ("reformed") criminals should they be released.
    Ive just pointed out that it is

You might as well ask for the death sentence considering your stance on this. A life sentence just doesn't happen. They'd be released between 10-15 years. Why don't you call for their deaths?
    Yes cause heaven forbid their character gets warped and twisted from being incarcerated
    the irony is killing me

They were children committing a horrible crime. If released in later years (say 20 years more), they would be adults with a grudge against the state and society in general. Personally, I think they would be more likely to re-offend if kept in prison, and then released in later years. And they would be released.
    far too often we have seen this failing,how are they going to be monitored with new IDs

I don't know. How often do these measure's succeed?
    Should they really, why's that now

Ahh... I see now. You don't view them as human. That they have no rights to life. That they have no chance of reform. Well, there's no use talking to you, because your hatred is set in stone.
    wrote:

Again the same question. Read above.

Come on, really... is it that hard to get your quotes written correctly? There is an edit button.

Apparently so, Im not sure if Im being unclear or if your deliberately misconsrtruing my words
    People regularly make their opinions known about how people should or shouldn't behave on these boards. Why is this any different? You yourself are saying how others should act.

Yes people do, and normally a debate ensues, this shouldnt be any different. However, peoples opinions are usually formed with some reasoning behind them. You are attacking my opinion which, to clarify, is that when the crime is as heinious as this was, its too great a risk to release the offenders, they should just be locked up where its certain that they can NEVER reoffend, instead of releasing them on what I would consider misplaced charity and then looking for someone to blame when they put another child and/or family through the same kind of ordeal, or possibly a worse one.
    If it was closer to me? You mean geographically or emotionally? If you mean location, I wouldn't really care. I'm currently living in Athlone where there are plenty of people who have seen the inside of jails for violent crimes. I've also lived in Dublin, London, Paris etc. Plenty of violent crime there.

I meant emotionally, which was about as obvious as you pointing out that this is a bulletin board. You dodged it nicely though ;)
    As for why it should be forgotten, I don't mean the act in itself. Rather, the feeding frenzy with the media serves no purpose.

Says who? You? Sure aren't we havin a grand oul debate here now :p

If there was no "media frenzy" (:rolleyes:) then these people would be released and no-one would be any the wiser, much less be able to do anything about it, would you not think?
    The murder is known to most people in the Uk and Ireland, and isn't likely to be forgotten.

Ah but it is, I know personally that I haven't thought about it in the last year, doubt anyone else has until, (dare I point it out :eek:) the media brought it up
    I just don't see any point with constantly bringing it up.

See above
    I have the same kind of feelings regarding Princess Diana, and plenty of other topics which the media loves to focus on.

Apples and oranges really, please dont make me have to point out the obvious differences, its late and my wrists hurt :(

I'm talking about there being two subjects here. The first being Jon Venables and Robert Thompson themselves, and secondly the actual act of murder by children towards other children. Its about the manner of this discussion.

Its one and the same, hence my point, the punshment should fit the crime and the level of heinousness should definately be considered when thinking about releasing them into society
    And you're jumping to conclusions, by saying i wish the subject forgotten. I never said that.

Firstly, I never said YOU personally, and secondly you agreed that I was right about it in your last reply to my post, I'll go rooting for it if you wish
    Just because I'm not agreeing with you, don't put words where there are none.

DITTO!! see above thank you
    Do you have anything to suggest that they would re-offend?

Nothing more than what you have to suggest that they wouldnt re-offend
    i'm sure they have been under psychological observation and their tests would influence whether the courts decide to retain them for longer.

Obviously there would be other things to consider too, like how society feels about thier release
    Aside from their original murder, they may have shown some degree of remorse for their crime?

Paedophiles show remorse, even to the extent that they go through chemical castration, some still re-offend
    As for saying we don't have a vote, well... we don't.

Eh we live in a democracy the last time I checked.

Nope. I guess you can't even see when I happen to agree with you. But I can't say I'm too suprised by your reaction. :rolleyes:

Maybe you should be a bit clearer then

Sure, i would. But I believe in a persons chance to be reformed and re-introduced into society. Otherwise we might as well, start killing every offender just in case they re-offend. Would you advocate such mass murder?

Now now, dont go twisting my words, and dont accuse people of doin things you're quit adept at yourself. Its a bit "hello pot, this is the kettle speaking"
    have I said that their behavior shouldn't be evaluated? Do you really think they're going to released without tests and evaluations being made? I've already said that they should be monitored more closely than other ("reformed") criminals should they be released.

Tell ye what, tommoro I'll find all the case files where offenders have been deemed to be "cured", released on the strength of those tests, and have subsequently re-offended. In the meantime, if you could find the case files of rehabilitated criminals, then we can compare notes, hows that sound??
    Now I dont mean burglaries or the like, I mean comparible crimes

You might as well ask for the death sentence considering your stance on this. A life sentence just doesn't happen. They'd be released between 10-15 years. Why don't you call for their deaths?

Please see above "twisty" quote. If I thought they should be put to death I would have said so from the outset

They were children committing a horrible crime. If released in later years (say 20 years more), they would be adults with a grudge against the state and society in general. Personally, I think they would be more likely to re-offend if kept in prison, and then released in later years. And they would be released.

So like I suggested, keeping them incarcerated kind of eliminates that threat does it not??

Ahh... I see now. You don't view them as human. That they have no rights to life. That they have no chance of reform. Well, there's no use talking to you, because your hatred is set in stone.

SIGH :confused: I was going to try reasoning here but I think you're right, ignore me, it'll make my life easier, I wont have to keep correcting your deliberate misquotes and assumptions
    And drop the sarcasm, you're not particularly good at it.

Perhaps not, but Im a damn sight better than you m'dear, surely you can allow me that one gift, after all Im sooooo hatefull

strolls off whistling with hands in pockets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I think they should be released, but if they turn out to be recidivists, they should be locked up for life instead of waiting for them to kill again.

I'm all on for giving people a second chance, but there is something seriously wrong when you kill people as a child.

• Advertisement

AARRRGH wrote: »
    I think they should be released, but if they turn out to be recidivists, they should be locked up for life instead of waiting for them to kill again.

I'm all on for giving people a second chance, but there is something seriously wrong when you kill people as a child.

I really agree with the above, I reckon if your that damaged (for want of a better word) before puberty even sets in, then what hope is there when you get older??

Whats a recidivist though

Apparently so, Im not sure if Im being unclear or if your deliberately misconsrtruing my words

Hardly. Notice other people's posts? They use the quote button correctly. My asking you to do the same is not distorting your posts.
    Yes people do, and normally a debate ensues, this shouldnt be any different. However, peoples opinions are usually formed with some reasoning behind them. You are attacking my opinion which, to clarify, is that when the crime is as heinious as this was, its too great a risk to release the offenders, they should just be locked up where its certain that they can NEVER reoffend, instead of releasing them on what I would consider misplaced charity and then looking for someone to blame when they put another child and/or family through the same kind of ordeal, or possibly a worse one.

Actually, In this, I'm opposing your viewpoint that the mother should be still advertising her grief. I haven't attacked you or anything you have said, except for your use of sarcasm in your posts when its unwarranted. You seem to be getting...... distracted.
    I meant emotionally, which was about as obvious as you pointing out that this is a bulletin board. You dodged it nicely though ;)

Actually, geographically might affect people more since having someone like you describe above living in your house, would be quite disturbing... So it was logical to assume as I did.

As for emotionally, sure. But I'm not. I'm not even sure why you are.
    Says who? You? Sure aren't we havin a grand oul debate here now :p

If there was no "media frenzy" (:rolleyes:) then these people would be released and no-one would be any the wiser, much less be able to do anything about it, would you not think?

Nope. I think these people will be released based on the evaluations of the psychiatric staff engaged to analysis the boys, the opinions of the wardens in charge of the boys, the legal group assigned to the case, and also the politicians looking at the case. I don't think the media or you will have any influence over any of that except limited returns on the politicians.
    Ah but it is, I know personally that I haven't thought about it in the last year, doubt anyone else has until, (dare I point it out :eek:) the media brought it up

And if these boys are kept in prison, you'll go back to not thinking of them.... and just as likely, if these boys are released, and nothing happens, you'll won't think about them either. Until something happens if it does at all.
    Its one and the same, hence my point, the punshment should fit the crime and the level of heinousness should definately be considered when thinking about releasing them into society

Sure... I actually agree. But release should always be a serious option..
    Firstly, I never said YOU personally, and secondly you agreed that I was right about it in your last reply to my post, I'll go rooting for it if you wish

Let me remind you what you said:

"Are you trying to say that all the details should be forgotten???"

Its less than two posts above. Come'on. :rolleyes:

I said that it shouldn't be constantly placed in the limelight. Not that it should be forgotten.
    DITTO!! see above thank you

Actually, no. Since you did say it. Whereas I didn't.
    Nothing more than what you have to suggest that they wouldnt re-offend

Lovely.
    Obviously there would be other things to consider too, like how society feels about thier release

The law and the manner in which the law judges the level of the reform settled in any prisoner is what matters. If you disagree with that process, seek to change it, but until then, respect them.

Society has nothing to do with this. Be practical.
    Paedophiles show remorse, even to the extent that they go through chemical castration, some still re-offend

Aye, some do. Just as many murderers don't re-offend. Many who are imprisoned for "assault with a deadly weapon", later released, and disappear never to be heard of again.

You can't judge everyone who has a previous conviction as being hopeless just because they made one previous mistake... Well, actually you can judge them this way.. Not particularly free or just though.
    Eh we live in a democracy the last time I checked.

Are you british? No? Then its not your vote.
    Maybe you should be a bit clearer then

Oh, the irony! rofl.
    Now now, dont go twisting my words, and dont accuse people of doin things you're quit adept at yourself. Its a bit "hello pot, this is the kettle speaking"

Twisting your words? hardly. You advocate that there is a risk that they will reoffend, so they should not be allowed any chance of release... Doesn't matter their state of mind, nor the opinions of the medical professionals involved in the case. You have made up your mind...
    Tell ye what, tommoro I'll find all the case files where offenders have been deemed to be "cured", released on the strength of those tests, and have subsequently re-offended. In the meantime, if you could find the case files of rehabilitated criminals, then we can compare notes, hows that sound?? Now I dont mean burglaries or the like, I mean comparible crimes

Again, you advocate a zero tolerance policy towards offenders. Just because the system has failed in the past, nobody should be released. Ever. And that is not twisting your words. Your opinion is quite open from that paragraph above.

Even if we just take violent offenders, you're giving up hope on a lot of people.
    Please see above "twisty" quote. If I thought they should be put to death I would have said so from the outset

Ahh, its better to leave them to rot in prison for the rest of their natural lives.... And I'm not twisting your words. Perhaps you should think about what you write before you do it?
    So like I suggested, keeping them incarcerated kind of eliminates that threat does it not??

Forever? No right to appeal? No rights at all? Because of one, admittedly gruesome action?

Why not just kill them? You're seeking to punish them more.... by taking away their freedom, and leaving them in prison.
    SIGH :confused: I was going to try reasoning here but I think you're right, ignore me, it'll make my life easier, I wont have to keep correcting your deliberate misquotes and assumptions

You really need to read over what you write before you hit the submit button. Even looking at your previous posts should my help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Would be in the best intrests of all concerned if Venables and Thompson are living outside uk ,somewere on the other side of the world .If any potential girlfriend or wife were to find out what they did ( assuming they dont know already ) then they might have a security issue to worry about .

Hardly. Notice other people's posts? They use the quote button correctly. My asking you to do the same is not distorting your posts.

Duh thorry, I wadn't aware thah the diffrent coloursth are confusthin ye, thorry

Actually, In this, I'm opposing your viewpoint that the mother should be still advertising her grief. I haven't attacked you or anything you have said, except for your use of sarcasm in your posts when its unwarranted. You seem to be getting...... distracted.

I dont think shes advertising her grief, I cant see why anyone would want the whole world to see how **** you feel. In MY opinion, she is attracting the attention of the public as to the chance of these two murderers getting released into society, NOT the same thing IMO.
    As for being distracted, I dont think I can be any more clear on what my point is.
    Actually, geographically might affect people more since having someone like you describe above living in your house, would be quite disturbing... So it was logical to assume as I did.

How might that be then? How could a murderer living close by possibly affect a person more than being that murderers victims mother/uncle/aunt/brother? How could living with the threat of that kind of crime be worse than living with the result of it :confused:
    As for emotionally, sure. But I'm not. I'm not even sure why you are.
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: WTF
    Nope. I think these people will be released based on the evaluations of the psychiatric staff engaged to analysis the boys, the opinions of the wardens in charge of the boys, the legal group assigned to the case, and also the politicians looking at the case. I don't think the media or you will have any influence over any of that except limited returns on the politicians.

I think I've already pointed this out but, when someone is imprisoned at her majesties pleasure there is no set date for thier release. As in the case of Moira Hindley (precedence they call it) she died behind bars, regardless of psychiatrists reports, politicians backing etc etc, and the reason for that is because of the public reaction. There would have been outrage, there was protests every time the issue came up. And the majority of people wouldnt have known about the issue coming up for review except for the media.
    And I didnt say I would have any influence, I meant the public, collectively

And if these boys are kept in prison, you'll go back to not thinking of them....
    Absolutely, I have that liberty, and Im damn grateful for it, unlike Jamies mother

and just as likely, if these boys are released, and nothing happens, you'll won't think about them either. Until something happens if it does at all.

This is where we differ. I really dont think that thats a risk that should be taken. I personally wouldn't like to be around for the fall out if it did re-occur, how do you explain that to the new victims parents? would you be able to do that (hypothetically of course), cause I know I wouldnt, and in much the same vien of the moors murders, I cant see the authorities taking that risk either.
    Sure... I actually agree. But release should always be a serious option..

In some instances maybe but IMO in this particular case the risk is too high
    Let me remind you what you said:

"Are you trying to say that all the details should be forgotten???"

Its less than two posts above. Come'on. :rolleyes:

I said that it shouldn't be constantly placed in the limelight. Not that it should be forgotten.

Actually, no. Since you did say it. Whereas I didn't.

Much confusion on both parts

The law and the manner in which the law judges the level of the reform settled in any prisoner is what matters. If you disagree with that process, seek to change it, but until then, respect them.
    Be realistic, how do you think laws get reformed in the first place
    Society has nothing to do with this. Be practical.
    If you are trying to say that law and society are different and seperate entities then you're much mistaken IMO. Its only with society, by that I mean the public, pushing for change that it actually comes about.

Aye, some do. Just as many murderers don't re-offend. Many who are imprisoned for "assault with a deadly weapon", later released, and disappear never to be heard of again.
    Its hardly within the context, you are muddying the water here. I cant say it any clearer, so if you refuse to see it fine, but the brevity of this particular crime should automatically preclude any chance of release. ITS NOT THE SAME AS A B&E WHERE SOMEONE GETS SHOT, ITS NOT THE SAME AS ONE GANG MEMBER SHOOTING ANOTHER
    You can't judge everyone who has a previous conviction as being hopeless just because they made one previous mistake... Well, actually you can judge them this way.. Not particularly free or just though.

I agree, I dont think that everyone should be thrown on the scrap heap, I think the crime commited and the circumstances should always lend weight, which is why in this case I dont believe they should be released. Now, please dont try tarnish me in your next post with the above crap, this is the second time I've had to make this statement in reply to one of yours.
    Are you british? No? Then its not your vote.

Ugh :rolleyes: it'll take to long to explain

Twisting your words? hardly. You advocate that there is a risk that they will reoffend, so they should not be allowed any chance of release... Doesn't matter their state of mind, nor the opinions of the medical professionals involved in the case. You have made up your mind...

Yes, thats my opinion, and as you previously stated, this is a forum where people express thier opinions

Again, you advocate a zero tolerance policy towards offenders. Just because the system has failed in the past, nobody should be released. Ever. And that is not twisting your words. Your opinion is quite open from that paragraph above.

Actually you are twisting my words. I advocate zero tolerance towards THESE TYPES of offenders, I did not make a sweeping statement
    Even if we just take violent offenders, you're giving up hope on a lot of people.
    See above, cause I've a pain in me left breast typing it
    Ahh, its better to leave them to rot in prison for the rest of their natural lives.... And I'm not twisting your words. Perhaps you should think about what you write before you do it?

Yes, Yes I do think that of these boys/men. I have thought about it.
    Maybe you should read my posts before replying instead of just scanning over it

Forever? No right to appeal? No rights at all? Because of one, admittedly gruesome action?

Yes Yes and Yes again
    Why not just kill them? You're seeking to punish them more.... by taking away their freedom, and leaving them in prison.

Dont be silly now, Im pretty sure they would see it differently.
    Its hardly the same kind of punishment thier victim got
    You really need to read over what you write before you hit the submit button. Even looking at your previous posts should my help.
    :confused::confused:

HAHAHAHA RLOL HAHAHA. Now THATS ironic

Duh thorry, I wadn't aware thah the diffrent coloursth are confusthin ye, thorry

Now you're just being retarded. I asked for you to format your quotes correctly. Nothing wrong with that, and your response to that has been consistently childish.
    I dont think shes advertising her grief, I cant see why anyone would want the whole world to see how **** you feel. In MY opinion, she is attracting the attention of the public as to the chance of these two murderers getting released into society, NOT the same thing IMO.
    As for being distracted, I dont think I can be any more clear on what my point is.

Well, we can have different opinions. I view that she has already made her stance clear. Justice has been served, and it is up to the law to decide if further imprisonment is needed. They have the facts of the case, and will judge accordingly.
    How might that be then? How could a murderer living close by possibly affect a person more than being that murderers victims mother/uncle/aunt/brother? How could living with the threat of that kind of crime be worse than living with the result of it :confused:

Well, of course its different if these boys were released to live in close proximity to the family of the murdered child. But how does that affect you?
    I think I've already pointed this out but, when someone is imprisoned at her majesties pleasure there is no set date for thier release. As in the case of Moira Hindley (precedence they call it) she died behind bars, regardless of psychiatrists reports, politicians backing etc etc, and the reason for that is because of the public reaction. There would have been outrage, there was protests every time the issue came up. And the majority of people wouldnt have known about the issue coming up for review except for the media.

I know. You keep using her as an example. The difference i see is that she performed multiple murders and was an adult capable of understanding the full impact of her choices. She knew full well the effects of what she did. These boys didn't. They couldn't, having being so young. Public opinion will acknowledge that in addition to the people calling for their continued imprisonment.
    And I didnt say I would have any influence, I meant the public, collectively

Actually you did. If you meant to say the public in general, then thats different. But you held that you had a vote on the subject. Which clearly you don't.

The british public on the other hand do have influence over the situation, through their expressions on the subject. But its still going to be minimal. The law is the law. The system in place to judge whether a prisoner should be released is pretty well laid out at this stage, and should be followed.
    Absolutely, I have that liberty, and Im damn grateful for it, unlike Jamies mother

Regardless of what happens she'll continue to remember. If they committed suicide tomorrow, it wouldn't change her memory.

But the original comment was about you, and your knowledge of the children. That you would forget them in your daily life once the decision was made either to free them or to release them.
    This is where we differ. I really dont think that thats a risk that should be taken. I personally wouldn't like to be around for the fall out if it did re-occur, how do you explain that to the new victims parents? would you be able to do that (hypothetically of course), cause I know I wouldnt, and in much the same vien of the moors murders, I cant see the authorities taking that risk either.

We differ on many points. You see, I believe that people should be allowed a second chance. I actually have a zero tolerance policy towards repeat offenders, and consider the harshest of sentencing for them justifiable. BUT these children committed a crime in their extreme youth, and have served 8 years. They may very well now understand what they have done, and may be capable to leading semi-normal lives. I believe they should have the chance to lead those lives, as long as the legal authorities find them worthy.
    In some instances maybe but IMO in this particular case the risk is too high

Why? The only information you are using is what they did 8 years ago. You have nothing on their emotional stability today, nor the reports of the wardens monitoring them over the last few years. You're not basing this on them now, but rather just their previous action.
    Much confusion on both parts

Jesus, you can't even agree when I show where you wrote it?
    Be realistic, how do you think laws get reformed in the first place

But you're not talking about law reform. You're talking about influencing the courts to make an exception. If you were actually talking about changing the current system, I might consider your stance more worthwhile. But you're not.
    If you are trying to say that law and society are different and seperate entities then you're much mistaken IMO. Its only with society, by that I mean the public, pushing for change that it actually comes about.

Actually, Most change in the law comes from individuals pushing for change. The public has a very short attention span, and doesn't really stay the course long enough for anything to be done. So if you want to change the law, change the law for everyone. Don't do it for some and not others.
    Its hardly within the context, you are muddying the water here. I cant say it any clearer, so if you refuse to see it fine, but the brevity of this particular crime should automatically preclude any chance of release. ITS NOT THE SAME AS A B&E WHERE SOMEONE GETS SHOT, ITS NOT THE SAME AS ONE GANG MEMBER SHOOTING ANOTHER

muddying the waters? hardly. I'm keeping things rather simple actually. You're stating that because of one action over 8 years ago, they're worthless and a risk to society forever more. You advocate that they can't ever be reformed.

The law is the law. They committed murder, so the law should apply the same sentencing to anyone committing murder. And by your logic, no amount of time in prison can justify their release. So anyone that commits murder should be locked away for the rest of their lives.

Its connecting the dots. And thats keeping things simple.
    I agree, I dont think that everyone should be thrown on the scrap heap, I think the crime commited and the circumstances should always lend weight, which is why in this case I dont believe they should be released.

You say lend weight now, but you've made it clear that its not to influence a decision, but rather to make the decision. I believe that their past actions should not be forgotten, and should be held in the mind while making any evaluation of their current character. But it should not decide the case, before they have been evaluated.
    Now, please dont try tarnish me in your next post with the above crap, this is the second time I've had to make this statement in reply to one of yours.

Tarnish? I'm responding to what you have said. Do you really understand what you are writing?
    Ugh :rolleyes: it'll take to long to explain

Whatever. Seems pretty simple actually.
    Yes, thats my opinion, and as you previously stated, this is a forum where people express thier opinions

And i don't have a problem with people showing their opinions. I'd rather that you say it openly than trying to hedge around it though. You're not seeking justice for a crime. You're seeking punishment without end. That's not why we have a justice system in the west.
    Actually you are twisting my words. I advocate zero tolerance towards THESE TYPES of offenders, I did not make a sweeping statement

You made the point that the risk that these boys re-offend is too high. Any person who has committed any form of murder falls into the same category, surely? So therefore none of them should ever be released.
    Yes, Yes I do think that of these boys/men. I have thought about it.
    Maybe you should read my posts before replying instead of just scanning over it

Notice that i quote you, and respond to those individual quotes? Its pretty obvious what I am responding to, and why I am responding to them in this fashion.

It took me reading your posts, and dragging an agreement from you before you actually said it. You jumped around the whole thing before admitting that you favor their lifelong imprisonment.
    Yes Yes and Yes again

Ahh... so hard.. Never to be given a second chance. Ever. No matter what you try to do, you will always be guilty of your mistakes.
    Dont be silly now, Im pretty sure they would see it differently.
    Its hardly the same kind of punishment thier victim got

So you'd prefer that they receive the exact punishment the victim received? And thats not twisting your words.... And I'd like an answer.
    HAHAHAHA RLOL HAHAHA. Now THATS ironic

Misspelling. Drop out the my. I guess that was too difficult for you to figure out. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Whats a recidivist though

Repeat criminals. You know, in and out of prison for various offences. We're way too soft on those sort of scumbags.

Ahhh I swear make me Minister for Justice and I'll clean up this country! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

carlybabe1
    = tabloid reader?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

994 wrote: »
    To clarify (because the account earlier was inaccurate): they beat him with rocks, bricks and an iron bar, and splattered him with paint, "manipulated" his penis, and put batteries in his mouth (causing electric shocks), and left on the tracks where a train cut him in half. They didn't cut off his fingers, rub paint in his eyes or put batteries in his anus.
    That's how I recall it. I remember hearing it reported on the news as I was driving and I had to pull over to the side of the road. I don't believe that people are born evil but I do think they can become evil (for whatever reason). These two have no right to see the light of day, they should've stay in prison forever. As always, just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

arggh reading that made me wince. i wasn't aware of the specific details of the murder

with that in mind it's difficult to believe that anyone capable of such barbarity to a child could develop remorse later on in life. you have tons of people who have a ****ty upbringing who obviously have never done such a thing. it would be comforting if these guys were clinicially diagnosed as psychopaths, because it would be easier to justify them not being released based on the risk of them reoffending and being incapable of empathy and remorse.

on the other hand what if they are genuinely remorseful and want to dedicate their lives to helping others. should they be given that chance? or is there crime so beyond the pale they have forfeited their right to life outside prison irrespective of whether they are rehabilitated?

carlybabe1
    = tabloid reader?

Brian Capture = idiot
    Now you're just being retarded. I asked for you to format your quotes correctly. Nothing wrong with that, and your response to that has been consistently childish.

Its not heiroglyphics your trying to decipher, the posts are legible

Well, we can have different opinions. I view that she has already made her stance clear. Justice has been served,

So you think that eight years is a long enough sentence for what they did to that toddler?? Doesnt seem like justice to me, in fact its quite soft

and it is up to the law to decide if further imprisonment is needed. They have the facts of the case, and will judge accordingly.

My point is, whether you like it or not, the public will have influence over the decision

Well, of course its different if these boys were released to live in close proximity to the family of the murdered child. But how does that affect you?

:rolleyes: I didnt say it affected me, I was asking you how you would feel about thier release if you had been close emotionally to thier victim. there, thats as straight forward as you can get, you still haven't answered that question, and I reckon its because you cant without conceding that I do indeed have a good point. But well done on your dodging strategies

I know. You keep using her as an example. The difference i see is that she performed multiple murders and was an adult capable of understanding the full impact of her choices. She knew full well the effects of what she did. These boys didn't. They couldn't, having being so young. Public opinion will acknowledge that in addition to the people calling for their continued imprisonment.

She is the most obvious EXAMPLE of the public having an infuence over the law in cases where people commit heinous crimes and are sentenced at her majesties pleasure. I was using that situation to back up my argument. Did anybody else misunderstand that :confused:

Actually you did. If you meant to say the public in general, then thats different. But you held that you had a vote on the subject. Which clearly you don't.

Actually NO I DIDNT, I said in answer to a post of yours " thats like saying we dont have a vote" as in: if you think the public wont influence the laws decision thats like saying (above) which is plainly not true. I didnt at any stage suggest that I personally would hold sway, stop misquoting me deliberately, any retard that read the post properly can see what I meant
    The british public on the other hand do have influence over the situation, through their expressions on the subject. But its still going to be minimal.

Says who, YOU?? what makes you the expert? I happen to disagree, and I've backed up my argument, unlike your good self. This is a high profile case, why dont you wiki what that means
    The law is the law. The system in place to judge whether a prisoner should be released is pretty well laid out at this stage, and should be followed.

the law is also politics, and public image is of utmost importance. Another case where the public influenced the outcome of a trial was OJ Simpson. As much as you may not like it, its there. Another that comes to mind is that of Michael Stone, other high profile cases

Regardless of what happens she'll continue to remember. If they committed suicide tomorrow, it wouldn't change her memory.

Thats obvious but whats your point
    But the original comment was about you, and your knowledge of the children. That you would forget them in your daily life once the decision was made either to free them or to release them.

Yes and my point was that so would everyone else and thats why jamies mother is using the media, as a means to remind people what happened.
    Shes doing it so they wont be released, shes entitled to do that, if it offends you then dont buy the papers and switch off the news. Im begining to feel like a goddamn parrot, :rolleyes:

We differ on many points. You see, I believe that people should be allowed a second chance. I actually have a zero tolerance policy towards repeat offenders, and consider the harshest of sentencing for them justifiable.

So let them out, then when they re-offend throw them back in for life, no matter that they claimed another life and shattered another family??
    Too risky to me, and like I already pointed out, I doubt the authorities are going to take that chance
    BUT these children committed a crime in their extreme youth, and have served 8 years. They may very well now understand what they have done, and may be capable to leading semi-normal lives.

What makes you think that they didnt know what they were doing at the time they done it? the fact that you would like to live in a world where such evil doesn't exist?? The facts of the case would suggest they knew exactly what they were doing, if you want to live in lala land, fine. You should leave the decision making to the realists

I believe they should have the chance to lead those lives, as long as the legal authorities find them worthy.

:rolleyes: as above.

Why? The only information you are using is what they did 8 years ago. You have nothing on their emotional stability today, nor the reports of the wardens monitoring them over the last few years. You're not basing this on them now, but rather just their previous action.

What better monitor of someones character than the things they do, have done and will do in the future. What are you basing your opinion on?
    You have as much info on wardens reports and emotional stability, why do you have the stance you do? I'm starting to see this as a one sided argument, Im telling you my stance and why I have it and I've backed up my argument with actual cases, so what about you???????

Jesus, you can't even agree when I show where you wrote it?

You showed me nothing of the sort

But you're not talking about law reform. You're talking about influencing the courts to make an exception.
    If you were actually talking about changing the current system, I might consider your stance more worthwhile. But you're not.

I didnt bring up law reform, you did :rolleyes: I was simply explaing that society is what reforms law. And yes the public will influence the decision of releasing/not these people

Actually, Most change in the law comes from individuals pushing for change. The public has a very short attention span, and doesn't really stay the course long enough for anything to be done.

I agree

So if you want to change the law, change the law for everyone. Don't do it for some and not others.

What are you s*hiting talking about :confused:

muddying the waters? hardly. I'm keeping things rather simple actually. You're stating that because of one action over 8 years ago, they're worthless and a risk to society forever more. You advocate that they can't ever be reformed.

DO-NOT put words in my posts, I never said they were worthless, but yes they are a risk, and I dont reckon that they could be reformed
    The law is the law. They committed murder, so the law should apply the same sentencing to anyone committing murder. And by your logic, no amount of time in prison can justify their release.

NO! By my logic no amount of therapy can justify taking the risk of releasing them. is that clear enough

So anyone that commits murder should be locked away for the rest of their lives.

Your good at twisting words to suit yourself, but s*hit at backing up your arguments
    Its connecting the dots.

Hardly :rolleyes: Its twisting things and making leaps
    And thats keeping things simple

As above

You say lend weight now, but you've made it clear that its not to influence a decision, but rather to make the decision.

What are you on about, I couldnt be any more open about my opinion
    I believe that their past actions should not be forgotten, and should be held in the mind while making any evaluation of their current character. But it should not decide the case, before they have been evaluated.

Fair enough, but there will still be an influence

Tarnish? I'm responding to what you have said. Do you really understand what you are writing?

Do you understand what your reading

And i don't have a problem with people showing their opinions. I'd rather that you say it openly than trying to hedge around it though.

I havent hedged around anything, my opinion has been obvious to everyone from my first post (well, maybe not to retards)
    You're not seeking justice for a crime. You're seeking punishment without end. That's not why we have a justice system in the west.

Well the majority of posters happen to agree with me, that it would be unjust if they were released

You made the point that the risk that these boys re-offend is too high.

Ah, so you've know my stance all along? Well now its just obvious that you were deliberately twisting stuff ;)

Any person who has committed any form of murder falls into the same category, surely?

No not surely,Im pretty sure you know this too, cause I know I've said it before, it depends on the brevity of the crime
    So therefore none of them should ever be released.
    Yawn :rolleyes:

Notice that i quote you, and respond to those individual quotes? Its pretty obvious what I am responding to, and why I am responding to them in this fashion.

ditto
    It took me reading your posts, and dragging an agreement from you before you actually said it. You jumped around the whole thing before admitting that you favor their lifelong imprisonment.

Get real, I was clear on my opnion from the start, you dragged nothing from me other than my patience, which is rapidly running out. You've lost your credibility by deliberately fuzzing things, pretending you didnt get my point and then you magically have an epiphany??, are you religious by any chance??

Ahh... so hard.. Never to be given a second chance. Ever. No matter what you try to do, you will always be guilty of your mistakes.

Abducting a toddler, torturing him, murdering him, and then trying to hide his body can hardly be called a mistake. Do you think that of paedos too?? "Im sorry, I didnt mean to rape that eight yr old, my penis fell into her, it was a mistake" :rolleyes:

So you'd prefer that they receive the exact punishment the victim received? And thats not twisting your words.... And I'd like an answer

Well I'd have liked an answer to the question I posed to you 3 times, but you deliberatly dodged it. And Yes it is twisting my words, and Ive answered this question already when you suggested that I wanted the death sentence for them, but for any one who is reading this, no I dont want them dead, I just dont want them released

Misspelling. Drop out the my. I guess that was too difficult for you to figure out. :rolleyes:
    [/QUOTE]

Indeed, Im the retard :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Now Im gonna ignore you cause I dislike having arguments with people who have to twist my words in order to bolster thier own arguments. Toodles now :cool:

• Advertisement

arggh reading that made me wince. i wasn't aware of the specific details of the murder

with that in mind it's difficult to believe that anyone capable of such barbarity to a child could develop remorse later on in life. you have tons of people who have a ****ty upbringing who obviously have never done such a thing. it would be comforting if these guys were clinicially diagnosed as psychopaths, because it would be easier to justify them not being released based on the risk of them reoffending and being incapable of empathy and remorse.

on the other hand what if they are genuinely remorseful and want to dedicate their lives to helping others. should they be given that chance? or is there crime so beyond the pale they have forfeited their right to life outside prison irrespective of whether they are rehabilitated?
    +++++++1 post nacho, that is the major question. Also, I would worry that they could be so cunning to fake remorse and rehabilitation until they are released. It wouldnt be the first time its happened

Its not heiroglyphics your trying to decipher, the posts are legible

/sigh. You just don't get it. Even with your last post, you couldn't be bothered to show which were my posts and which were someone elses. Just throw them all together.
    So you think that eight years is a long enough sentence for what they did to that toddler?? Doesnt seem like justice to me, in fact its quite soft

As you have said, the eight years is not the full sentence. Their further imprisonment would be dependent on the courts and review process. I'm not saying that they should be released immediately. I'm saying that they should have the right to the review process, and if they pass they should face limited release.
    My point is, whether you like it or not, the public will have influence over the decision

As I have said, the public have limited influence over all court decisions, since the judges or the review panels are exposed to the media.

But its just influence, and not direct input. Don't know why you're having such problems acknowledging that.
    :rolleyes: I didnt say it affected me, I was asking you how you would feel about thier release if you had been close emotionally to thier victim. there, thats as straight forward as you can get, you still haven't answered that question, and I reckon its because you cant without conceding that I do indeed have a good point. But well done on your dodging strategies

Actually, I did answer the question. I said that if the boys were released and lived in proximity to any of the family members, i would understand their distress. I also said that I myself wouldn't be too bothered with them being near me. Although i would add that I would be more aware of their proximity.
    She is the most obvious EXAMPLE of the public having an infuence over the law in cases where people commit heinous crimes and are sentenced at her majesties pleasure. I was using that situation to back up my argument. Did anybody else misunderstand that :confused:

You used her as an example for multiple points, not just the influence of the public over the judicial process. And I answered that she is a different case, considering her age, her awareness of what she was doing, and the numbers of murders she was involved in.
    Actually NO I DIDNT, I said in answer to a post of yours " thats like saying we dont have a vote" as in: if you think the public wont influence the laws decision thats like saying (above) which is plainly not true. I didnt at any stage suggest that I personally would hold sway, stop misquoting me deliberately, any retard that read the post properly can see what I meant

You weren't specific enough, and your post was open to interpretation. Don't get angry because I read something you didn't intend.
    Says who, YOU?? what makes you the expert? I happen to disagree, and I've backed up my argument, unlike your good self. This is a high profile case, why dont you wiki what that means

Why do i need to back up my opinions? Nothing I've said requires anything like that.

In fact, how does one example in the case of Moira back up your opinion? You're using the public response a serial killer in comparison to two kids who made one gruesome killing. There will be many different opinions as to the mental health of the children, and their capacity for reform, if at all.
    the law is also politics, and public image is of utmost importance. Another case where the public influenced the outcome of a trial was OJ Simpson. As much as you may not like it, its there. Another that comes to mind is that of Michael Stone, other high profile cases

Oh, I agree. At least with the Michael Stone example. The OJ Simpson example doesn't hold any weight, since the differences in American society/law is too different to British society/law for comparison.

As I have said before, the public will indeed have influence over the process. I just don't believe that it will have the degree of influence you seem to believe. This is a different case to that of Michael Stone. perhaps if you could find a case involving children murdering another child, and the public outcry?
    Thats obvious but whats your point

My point being that she will remember regardless of what happens. Seems obvious.
    Yes and my point was that so would everyone else and thats why jamies mother is using the media, as a means to remind people what happened. Shes doing it so they wont be released, shes entitled to do that, if it offends you then dont buy the papers and switch off the news. Im begining to feel like a goddamn parrot, :rolleyes:

When did i say it offended me? I didn't. I said that she had said her piece, and should leave it at that. The media will run their stories about the case, regardless of her involvement. The media will not ignore a juicy story like this, where they can manipulate peoples emotions.
    So let them out, then when they re-offend throw them back in for life, no matter that they claimed another life and shattered another family??
    Too risky to me, and like I already pointed out, I doubt the authorities are going to take that chance

I prefer a different way. Review their mental health, and emotional feelings towards the murders. Based on those examinations, and the opinions of the wardens who previously watched the kids, approve or deny their release. If denied, put a date for a second review sometime in the future under the same guidelines. If approved, release them with strict guidelines on where they might live, and keep them separated from each other. IF they reoffend, put them away for life without chance of reprieve.
    What makes you think that they didnt know what they were doing at the time they done it?

They were children. ****ed up children, but children nonetheless. How much do children truly know of the world and the laws we live by at that age?
    the fact that you would like to live in a world where such evil doesn't exist??

Where did I say anything like that. I'm tired of you making up crap like this. Point to where i did, or retract it. ffs.
    The facts of the case would suggest they knew exactly what they were doing, if you want to live in lala land, fine. You should leave the decision making to the realists

Realists? You? Hardly. What decisions would you make? Just say, you had the ability to decide on this case, what would you do with them? Specifics pls..
    What better monitor of someones character than the things they do, have done and will do in the future. What are you basing your opinion on?
    You have as much info on wardens reports and emotional stability, why do you have the stance you do? I'm starting to see this as a one sided argument, Im telling you my stance and why I have it and I've backed up my argument with actual cases, so what about you???????

You have backed up nothing. You have taken the stance that the risk of them re-offending is too great, based solely on their one action eight years ago. Your examples refer to adults who committed repeat murders. Your examples, aren't based on a single murder committed by children.
    You showed me nothing of the sort

omg. You really do have a selective reading ability.
    I didnt bring up law reform, you did :rolleyes: I was simply explaing that society is what reforms law. And yes the public will influence the decision of releasing/not these people

You say you didn't bring it up, and then say you were explaining about it through society's influence? Right.
    What are you s*hiting talking about :confused:

Because the law is there. Solid. It should be applied to everyone equally dependent on the facts of the case. You're advocating picking and choosing who should be allowed due process.

If the law and the process is not adequate, change it.

Also would you mind keeping you language just a shade nicer? Just because you get confused a lot, doesn't mean you have to be insulting. This isn't "after hours".
    DO-NOT put words in my posts, I never said they were worthless, but yes they are a risk, and I dont reckon that they could be reformed

Ok. You didn't say they were worthless. Just that they should have no right to freedom at any stage in their lives, because of their one action. They will never be able to take back that action, and thus they will be always a risk. So they should be allowed the rot in prison. Is that better?
    NO! [/B]By my logic no amount of therapy can justify taking the risk of releasing them. is that clear enough

Yes, Its clear enough. As before, they should never be allowed to be released from prison. Just as anyone who has committed murder should never be allowed to be released... That IS what your logic promotes.
    Your good at twisting words to suit yourself, but s*hit at backing up your arguments. Hardly :rolleyes: Its twisting things and making leaps

And you're not particularly good at actually answering the statements except to continue promoting your justifications. I made a statement based on what you have said in this thread. Simple, and very easy to see.
    What are you on about, I couldnt be any more open about my opinion

As above. Again, you fail to answer.
    Fair enough, but there will still be an influence

I get the sense you're drifting. What influence? I am talking solely about the review process in judging the emotional stability of the subjects.
    Do you understand what your reading

yup. :D Its not difficult.
    I havent hedged around anything, my opinion has been obvious to everyone from my first post (well, maybe not to retards)

/sigh... You really can't manage a simple debate can you? If I disagree with you, and your "logic", I must be a retard. Better yet, if I read your very basic opinions, and extrapolate your viewpoint on the rights of prisoners, i'm wrong? Why? You weren't very clear in your first two postings, and its only through examining your points, that we have come to this point...
    Well the majority of posters happen to agree with me, that it would be unjust if they were released

haha... doesn't make it right though... To keep a person in prison simply because the risk (no matter what that risk is) is too great, regardless of the input of the justice and health officials? Not the world I would approve of. People deserve a second chance even if that chance is just a review to see if they're worthy of it.
    Ah, so you've know my stance all along? Well now its just obvious that you were deliberately twisting stuff ;)

Nope. Just clarifying your stance.
    No not surely,Im pretty sure you know this too, cause I know I've said it before, it depends on the brevity of the crime[/B]

But you have said that people should be judged solely on their past action.. So therefore any person who has committed violent crimes or murder would always be a risk too high to be released...
    Get real, I was clear on my opnion from the start, you dragged nothing from me other than my patience, which is rapidly running out. You've lost your credibility by deliberately fuzzing things, pretending you didnt get my point and then you magically have an epiphany??, are you religious by any chance??

haha... lost my credibility? hardly.. I have been a poster on these boards for a long time, and most people who read my posts know I tend to stick to my opinions on things. When they need to be backed up, I do. When they don't i move on. But when I see bull****, I tend to call people on it. Just like I have been with you.
    Abducting a toddler, torturing him, murdering him, and then trying to hide his body can hardly be called a mistake. Do you think that of paedos too?? "Im sorry, I didnt mean to rape that eight yr old, my penis fell into her, it was a mistake" :rolleyes:

You really have an issue with the ability to compare like with like. You seem to always compare adults with these children.. perhaps because you understand that children have a lower understanding of what they are doing and the reactions, compared to that of adults, and wish to gloss over it?

Yes, i see it as being a mistake. A huge, and horrible mistake. Whether they are aware of their mistake, feel remorse for that mistake, and now understand never to do it again, I don't know... I would leave that to the medical professionals assigned to their evaluation to judge that.
    Well I'd have liked an answer to the question I posed to you 3 times, but you deliberatly dodged it. And Yes it is twisting my words, and Ive answered this question already when you suggested that I wanted the death sentence for them, but for any one who is reading this, no I dont want them dead, I just dont want them released

/sigh... What is the difference?
    Now Im gonna ignore you cause I dislike having arguments with people who have to twist my words in order to bolster thier own arguments. Toodles now :cool:

ROFL.. If you can't handle an adult conversation on a bulletin board, stick to after hours... Post here, and expect your opinions to be examined. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

For those saying that 10 year olds don't know the difference between right and wrong: I was 9 at the time of the murder and was horrified, utterly disgusted that 2 boys a year older than me could be capable of killing a baby in such a violent manner. I just couldn't comprehend it. Same goes for the kids in my class.

mental07 wrote: »
    For those saying that 10 year olds don't know the difference between right and wrong: I was 9 at the time of the murder and was horrified, utterly disgusted that 2 boys a year older than me could be capable of killing a baby in such a violent manner. I just couldn't comprehend it. Same goes for the kids in my class.

Children are different. Just like adults are different. The learning process for every child is different depending on their parents, and their immediate environment. I have no idea what these two boys were thinking.. or what made it acceptable to them at that time.

I'm more interested in knowing whether they consider it acceptable to do so again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

If it was my child that they killed I would want them kept in!

Simple. No arguement. No anaysis!

mental07 wrote: »

Absolutely agree. They physically hurt that baby, and they did it repeatedly, he would have cried tears, and they continued to hurt him so the argument of not knowing what they were doing is rubbish imo.

++++++++1, me too. My sympathy lies with the victim and his family that are left behind, not the perpetrators

Simple. No arguement. No anaysis![/QUOTE]

Grand. How long though? For life?

I'm curious to know whether you feel that any amount of time would give them the right for a review and possible release? Would it not be better to just recommend their deaths and get it over with?

Grand. How long though? For life?

I'm curious to know whether you feel that any amount of time would give them the right for a review and possible release? Would it not be better to just recommend their deaths and get it over with?[/quote]

NO i appose the death penelaty as it costs the state to much. This has been proven. and yes life would just about do it.

Like I said if it were my child.....

NO i appose the death penelaty as it costs the state to much. This has been proven.

The Death Penalty has been proven to cost the state too much? Firstly, Why do you oppose the death penalty? Secondly what is this cost? And thirdly, to the state and not to the people involved?
    and yes life would just about do it.

Life imprisonment will cost more than anything else.

You see, I can't really understand this stance of no release (Ever) for these boys. That they shouldn't be allowed any reviews. That they should be locked up and their key thrown away. And the same people don't agree to the Death Penalty.. Which I find strange since I believe there's very little difference between true life imprisonment (which is what you're supporting) and death.
    Like I said if it were my child.....

But it wasn't, so you don't really have an such understanding of it. Neither do I. If it was ytour child, you can't say realistically what you would want.. (until after the fact)

• Advertisement

The Death Penalty has been proven to cost the state too much? Firstly, Why do you oppose the death penalty? Secondly what is this cost? And thirdly, to the state and not to the people involved?

Life imprisonment will cost more than anything else.

You see, I can't really understand this stance of no release (Ever) for these boys. That they shouldn't be allowed any reviews. That they should be locked up and their key thrown away. And the same people don't agree to the Death Penalty.. Which I find strange since I believe there's very little difference between true life imprisonment (which is what you're supporting) and death.

But it wasn't, so you don't really have an such understanding of it. Neither do I. If it was ytour child, you can't say realistically what you would want.. (until after the fact)

I dont have the figures but amnesty does I was with amnesty as a student and the figures were amazing. Its got to do with the increased security for suicide watch, the amount of appeals allowed, the special services like counseling its loads. If you doubt me that much I can check it out but if you log onto amnesty you will be surprised.

As for difference between life and death ask someone on death row in amarica again you will get an eye opener

As for understanding I have loads. I was so amazed by it I followed it every day and not in the sun. I also read the book which gives all the detailed facts about how there twisted minds worked in trying to conceal the evidence and the attempts they really went to.

The real life sentence her is not to these 2 but to the mother of jamie bulger. Can you imagine not been able to see your child because he was so badly destroyed. It had an effect on the police that has affected them to this day. Just read the fathers comments if you want to see the effects

So really I am entitled to an opinion.becuase I guarantee you this if it were my child I would be dead or gone mental becuase the site that greated them was unbelievable

Lastly just to really show how crime pays: They will be given accomadation and a welfare allowence and all the help to settle back in they need. So really while all there class mates who have struggled throught the years since are probably on the dole because of the recession in england they are nice and snug.... It seems crime really does pay.

Oh as for reoffending, the tree strikes rule does not apply here, the slate is clean, So if they shoplife, ahh you poor thing, if they rob, detention and if they rape or murder, ahh victum of society, There past record in gone. Not visable on any system but the home office. All in an effort to protect them! I though the link summed it up to me.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Bulger-Killers-Release-Reaction/Article/20010641020984?lid=ARTICLE_1020984_Bulger%20Killers'%20Release:%20Reaction&lpos=searchresults

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement