Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joey!

Options
  • 03-01-2005 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

I presonally couldn't stand the last few series of friends, but I thought this was great. Some of the characters just got so tired perhaps except Ross, I even thought that Joey had gotten tired. But he's actually a really adaptable character and he's got motivation now too!
    His speach at the end about change was actually believeable because of it!

Thumbs up!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

i don't think i'll be skipping the pub to watch this but it was very entertaining. didn't read how the us accepted it but i don't think it's going to be another fraiser. but what do i know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭planck2

It's not bad for a first episode

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

didn't read how the us accepted it
    Not very well. Its latest ratings were its lowest ever - far below anything 'Friends' ever experienced. It's not enough to kill it, but it's not what NBC would have hoped for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

there's been plenty of sitcom type things that i thought were watchable that got the ax. freaks and geeks. jack and jill. lots of others. we'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

Passable. One good gag (the blood). It's a total fantasy world that the characters inhabit.

First of all, how the hell is Joey able to afford that apartment? And he's got two shows lined up when he moves to LA? Yeah, REAL believable.

And Drea de Matteo looked like something the cat puked up. UGH.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

i have all of the first series it is no lost but a good no brainer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Passable. One good gag (the blood). It's a total fantasy world that the characters inhabit.

First of all, how the hell is Joey able to afford that apartment? And he's got two shows lined up when he moves to LA? Yeah, REAL believable.

And Drea de Matteo looked like something the cat puked up. UGH.

Yes. That's why we watched Friends - because it was believable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

it was ok, more hit then miss imo.

some passable gags(i liked the opening scene before the credits best)
    as for the supporting characters,
    his sister, irritating and grating
    the nephew, fine just not at all funny
    blonde chick, hot but the whole
    her being married
    thing isnt good for future character development.
    the agent is very irritating and over the top also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

it was mildly entertaining. Im gonna give it a chance though as its only the first episode. I thought the sets looked a bit fake. On friends the sets were very well done. That would be one of the only gripes i would have with it.

There are a lot worse comedies that have lasted a few series anyway, so hopefully it gets better. I think the whole thing about friends was though that it had 6 characters and therefore a lot more scope for storylines... Im just not sure if the joey character has a whole series worth of joey jokes??

For a first episode id give a 7/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I thought it was pretty pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

"the agent is very irritating and over the top also."

Really? Oh no. I loved her. She was in 'Friends' before too as Monica's British friend who thinks she can dance... she's great...

I agree that the married idea gives limited character development - they must have something in the pipeline for that though because they kept it in even after changing the actress....

The sets aren't overly impressive either - but remember it is an empty-apartment. It's bound to feel stage like right now I'd say...that was the thing with Friends - they started from pre-set apartments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Rozabeez wrote:
    I thought it was pretty pathetic.

Where's the +rep button when you need it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

shhh, sarky calls me a tart if rep is mentioned.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

there's been plenty of sitcom type things that i thought were watchable that got the ax. freaks and geeks. jack and jill. lots of others. we'll see.
    Freaks and Geeks is a classic!! Greatest getting drunk sitcom ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

'Freaks and Geeks' isn't a sitcom. Try actually watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,844 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, been a long time fan of 'Freaks N Geeks' - bought the DVD (brillant, by the way!)

Any fans out there... find it and buy it! (29 audio commentaries, over a hundred deleted scenes etc)

But i have to say it is NOT a sitcom... it's a "dramedy" (comedy interspliced with drama). Absolutely brillant show!!

As for Joey, saw the pilot a couple of months back. Saw some promise in a flawed pilot. But watched it again when it aired tonight... was much worse second time round! Some terrible jokes in there! ("Ollywoo Sign" etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Better than I thought it would be. Started off well and ended alright. Some terrible bits. Some very funny bits. They're managing his character well. Hate the sister. I'm assuming there'll be more characters introduced along the way...? Doesn't seem like they have enough atm.

[Freaks and Geeks = brilliant btw]

Yeah, I only called it a sitcom since the guy above quoted it as being one......We were gonna chip together and get the boxset, but couldnt afford to get it from America. Is the normal DVD available anywhere in Dublin?

dregin wrote:
    Yeah, I only called it a sitcom since the guy above quoted it as being one......We were gonna chip together and get the boxset, but couldnt afford to get it from America. Is the normal DVD available anywhere in Dublin?
    Nope, doubt you'd find it anywhere in Dublin. DVD is only available in Region 1 (NTSC) and is available from very few online stores right now.

They had it on CDWOW! for a while... got it there myself for €35 but that was last June.

EDIT: Here are the online stores that have it right now as far as i know:

http://www.loaded247.com/index.php?s=1&id=15591 (€43.83)
    http://www.dvdboxoffice.com/?description.asp?z=1&qs=1&src=kjaerland&class=mvi&pid=90057606 (€62.04)
    http://www.dvdsoon.com/show-title-details.xml?uid=112982&partner_id=10080 (€30.70 - seems like a great offer! There's some deal with you can get free shipping on the site too... to get the DVD for even less. Look at the 'Customer Service' section for details)
    http://www.axelmusic.com/productDetails/826663482096 (€53.99)

I've updated them with prices in Euro now above! (price i've stated includes any shipping etc.)

Sweet, that first link looks the business. It was over $100 when it first came out :S

Cheers :)

• Advertisement

dregin wrote:
    Sweet, that first link looks the business. It was over $100 when it first came out :S

Cheers :)
    I've updated them now with the best prices!

It may have been close to $100 when it first came out... but you may have been looking at the Special 8 Disc YearBook edition though.

Try that 3rd site (DVDSoon.. seems like great value!)

The Free Shipping offer ended on December 31st :/ Thanks for the list tho.

No problem! The price i've stated includes shipping of $5 though (so that 3rd one will still work out cheaper).

Best of luck with it!

You'll certainly enjoy the box-set... re-watched it many times!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Yeah the first episode is great.. wait for the next 11 tho... heh, they're grand. Actually i've seen the whole series now, it's not bad on the whole... funny... but nowhere near as funny as friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Aava

Still not laughing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Aava wrote:
    Still not laughing.
    I didnt laugh at all for the first 8 or 9 minutes. Then I changed the channel.
    Why would anyone bother with this?
    Joey was the worst character from a pretty abysmal show and we're expecting what now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

Actually i thought Joey was one of the better characters!

To be honest, i wasnt expecting anything good from Joey but i thought id give it a chance!I was pleasently surprised!It wasnt great now, but it sure was a lot better than the late friends episodes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

Well, Joey certainly made the first episode of the new season of Scrubs seem a lot funnier.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

Joey = Complete and utter rubbish.
    Scrubs (new series) = Pretty good.

Joey was never any good as a character on his own.
    Monica should divorce Chandler and he should move to Joey's new show.
    It would be more entertaining to watch those 2 together rather than that pathetic excuse of a Joey, his annoying sister and the wimpy nephew gimp :(

• Advertisement

I didn't actually think the new episode of scrubs was too good at all. Dunno why tho, it just didn't click :(

Advertisement