Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many Gay peopel Do you know?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

well i guess we are just going to have to disagree on this one.

I think your claims to speak on behalf of your gay friends is just a little patronising but then in this country openly gay people are a little more vociferous in thier opinions.Doc started a conversation about the different levels of openess and/tolerance to Gay culture.To which people responded in an open and frank manner.This wasnt to prove how cool or hip or funky and down they were with gay culture,beleive me in the fens expressing tolerance of homosexuals is not exactly considered hip or cool.The main perception of homosexuals in this <rural english>area is middle aged men hanging round public toilets and Aids victims.
    So if any of your friends do feel patronised by my little story then please appologise to them on my behalf,i am sure it wouldnt be necessary because i am sure they can come to their own opinion without you voicing their thoughts for them.BTW it is a sad state of affairs if people feel they can not express their true sexuality upon an annonymous bulletin board.
    As for the pot thing i am not sure what you mean?Hit the target?Well since i have made no secret of my origins it wasnt a particulary hard target to hit.and my point is valid I would not be patronised by a thread entitled "how many couloured/black people do you know".
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">who said anything about euphamisms for coloured people? i think youre onto a different topic altogether....</font>
    this was a response to your suggestion that i could dish it out but i could not take it.
    BTW I hope the phrase you were looking for was "derogatory terms" for coloured people not euphamisms.

[/quote]
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">wouldnt know anything about it personally. never said anything on the topic of goths so i'll assume this isnt aimed at me.</font>
    Well you told me to bugger off back to the goths post,if you want to claim ignorance fine by me.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">no idea what a cappa casual is?
    </font>
    A variation on Football Casuals,ie holigans that don't wear doc martins,football scarves ect prefering casual wear.
    basically a bunch of troulemakers wearing cappa and other sportswear brands.
    The entire story is rather nasty and complicated,i have posted it on another board but the thread is long gone.Perhaps one day i will sit down and type it out again but this is not the time or place for it. frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Clintons Cat (edited 02-05-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">of course you may add it. but im not sure i see the connection to hypocracy. can you point it out again, just so i can be clear about it. i think this goes back to the first point i ws making. think....about...it</font>
    *...goes back...*
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">cool, ive got more gay friends than you have.
    what is it? gay people are like a fashion accessory?
    im sure a lot of my friends would not like to see this thread as theyd probably think it was very patronising....</font>
    *...reads...absorbs...*
    Bing
    Irony
    finds match
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Your hypocracy is shocking and dare i add a little patronising.</font>
    Hehe.
    smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

im not going to quote anymore.
    i will say this. a few people seem to think that i am making personal attacks on things they have said. i never mentioned anyones name when i originally posted hoever a few of you have responded. i think this says more about you than me.
    hypocracy. no, im sorry, i still cant see it. the black thing was an example, not a mockery. if you are a different colour than me clintons cat, then well, thats just that isnt it. i neber knew that. believe it or not, you are not that interesting that i search out all your posts. therefore i wouldnt know or not if you keep it a secret or not. besides, it doesnt bother me. my girlfriend is coloured.
    what does that make me?
    the patronising part that i first pointed out wasnt about peoples stories, it was the fact that people were pointing how many gay friends they had, and yes, i still think its patronising. and thats why i made the point about being a fashion accessory. suddenly people seem to think it was better the more gay friends you had.
    can you see my point now?
    to be honest im kinda sick putting forward viewpoints that people cant or wont see. i mean, i have put a point forward and you have spent much time trying to put it down for some reason. and i also cannot see the relaton between most of your points and anything ive said. i really dont. im not being smart, but i dont see your points.
    all yo are doing is trying to put my points of view down without actually making any points of your own....

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Clintons Cat:

I think your claims to speak on behalf of your gay friends is just a little patronising but then in this country openly gay people are a little more vociferous in thier opinions
    </font>

oh, and i never said i was. mearly that i thought some of my friends would think it patronising...
    what the f*ck would i know about being gay? i am talking about being a person....

well i am glad you have cleared that up.
    However i dont feel anybody was trying to outgay anybody.
    Docs thread might of been badly titled but his first post was clear enough to get over the concept of what he was trying to express and his further posts cleared up any misunderstanding it is nice that you have been raised in an area where homosexuality is recognised openly but that is not the case in vast areas of UK or Ireland.
    Oh and i know i shouldnt of got involved but hey i never claimed a current tally of gay friends and to be honest i skipped over those posts anyway.Nice of you to tell me to bugger off though what it had to do with any point about the number of gay friends they have you were trying to make is beyond me.
    If you feel like clearing up the whole pot kettle thing i will be happy to continue this conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">i dont feel anybody was trying to outgay anybody.</font>

You haven't been in #fortress.ie late at night, then.

smile.gif

quote:
    Originally posted by Clintons Cat:
    pal...i would not feel in the least bit patronised by peoples comments.

looks like it hit a spot somewhere? pot, kettle, connection?

you got quiet offended when i came up with the how many black people do you know bit. kind of patronising eh? and then i said it was a bit like me saying how many gay friends you had was patronising?
    pot/kettle.....clear?

oh dear,
    quite offended was i?
    i thought my point was that i would not be patronised by a "how many black people do you know?"thread,and that i had to take alot more stick in the real world than you could ever dish out in the sterile confines of a bulletin board.However please dont let my ironic posturing divert you from reveling in your moment of self righteous smugness,
    You know Kids in many ways i feel we have all learnt a valuable lesson,in many ways i think we now all understand a little better the problems facing gay people when straight people start counting them as friends.
    pot/kettle...how amusing for you.
    <SIGH>

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">i think we now all understand a little better the problems facing gay people when straight people start counting them as friends</font>

I really bloody hope this was sarcasm, because it's a f*cking stupid statement if not...

yes it was sarcasm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

hmm
    this is an odd topic
    lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 nerox

Im from Ireland, and im bisexual.
    Im only 16 but I know about 8 bisexual
    people that are younger than me, and im
    not talkin a few months, i have a bi friend
    who has a bi friend that is only 13! Its easy
    to find out whos gay or bi and whos not if
    your gay/bi but "we" tend to feel like we
    cant tell straight people because of their
    reaction. Hopefully it will become more and
    more accepted, then it will be easy to tell
    some one your gay/bi but for the moment, it
    aint easy to admit what/who you are smile.gif

Er, not to p1ss on your parade or anything Nerox, but as often as I'm sure you've heard this said, at the age of 13 it's just as likely to be a phase as anything else. Sure, if you're gay, you'll know you're gay from a very early age, and undoubtedly get annoyed quickly at people giving you the "just a phase" speech.

However, during the adolescent years, it's also VERY common for teenagers to have very unusual feelings due to hormonal imbalance, and decide that they're gay - or more often, bi, since that seems more acceptable on a basic level to them - as a result of this.

I would also question your assertion that it's easy for gay/bi people to spot one another. I have it on extremely good authority that in the majority of cases, it most certainly isn't... smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Clintons Cat:
    oh dear,
    quite offended was i?
    i thought my point was that i would not be patronised by a "how many black people do you know?"thread,and that i had to take alot more stick in the real world than you could ever dish out in the sterile confines of a bulletin board.However please dont let my ironic posturing divert you from reveling in your moment of self righteous smugness,
    You know Kids in many ways i feel we have all learnt a valuable lesson,in many ways i think we now all understand a little better the problems facing gay people when straight people start counting them as friends.
    pot/kettle...how amusing for you.
    <SIGH>
    </font>

why would i give you stick?
    im mearly giving a counter argument.
    youre the one who seem to go off the edge, not me.
    yes, it is amusing. why wouldnt it be?
    what, you actually want me to take a conversation on a board seriously?
    cmon, ive been around far to long for that.
    i could meet you in a pub and we could get on famously, and if i then said, by the way im whitewashman, would you think differently of me because of a few posts?
    if you did, then, and only then would i think youre a sad bas7ard.
    what people do or say here is of no interest to me in real world terms, apart from the fact that ive met many good friends.
    relax. breathe deep.

yeah but it was kind of fun acting all upset and indignant... wink.gifWho was playing Who?
    i thought i might have pushed the limits a little to far with the last couple of posts so my appologies to anyone inadvertantly offended by the kamikazi troll behaviour of ol clintons cat.Remind me not to post on a weekend backender. frown.gif
    WWM if we were ever to meet i am sure we would get on famously,hell now we got a talking point to get us started.Til then keep on kickin over them sandcastles buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

About posters being openly gay -
    me for once (lesbian actually)

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by morgana:
    About posters being openly gay -
    me for once (lesbian actually)

</font>

you were a lesbian once or you are one?
    must go and have alook at that post on spelling and english language....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I'm deleting any more posts that nitpick spelling or grammar errors. Stop doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

as long as the posts are understandable (as morgana's was)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by --Kaiser--:
    as long as the posts are understandable (as morgana's was)</font>

I meant of course me for one - next time I'll re-read my posts more carefully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

I know loads(30-40)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Do you realise you just dug up a thread from 2001?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

worked with loads of gay people in my time,and two of my uncles are gay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

I know two gay men and one gay woman, I think Ireland has really opened up now and all three people were fairly open about their sexuality, and I live in a fairly small town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I don't think I knew one gay person 3 years ago and now with so many people coming out I know at least 10 who are either gay or bi. Our society has become more open and more accepting towards homosexuality but I certainly know for a fact there's still stigma attached to people's sexual orientation and alot of this comes from what I would call ''closet homophobes''.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement