Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many Gay peopel Do you know?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

cool, ive got more gay friends than you have.

what is it? gay people are like a fashion accessory?
    im sure a lot of my friends would not like to see this thread as theyd probably think it was very patronising....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

none that i know of!
    i'd douth my friends would tell me if they were ne way, for some reason they think i'm a heartless bast@rd who'd take the **** outta a saint on his death bed! biggrin.gif

"just because ur not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after u!"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteWashMan:
    im sure a lot of my friends would not like to see this thread as theyd probably think it was very patronising....</font>

And they'd be damn right to think so too, Eamo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I refer the gentleman to the political correctness thread elsewhere... smile.gif

It's a valid thread. Someone is asking whether people really do know all that many gay people, and the thread is clearly a (fairly mature) discussion of attitudes towards homosexuality.

It's a topic that comes up all the time in online discussions and rarely gets the mature treatment it deserves, I think it's good to see threads like this one where people honestly discuss their opinions and attitudes.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

WWMan I hate that retort.

If you are refering to my aside story, I dont apologise for it, I dont think it makes me "cooler" because I have gay friends, I dont think *anything* about it except that it was a funny story about a bloke I know which is relatively relevant to this thread.

What are gay people/stories now off limits for PC reasons? Is poking fun at Gay people ok? Should we tiptoe around their sensibilities?

Gah, racism and bigotry will only be dead when you can slag people about "it" and noone is shocked.

If your friends would be unhappy about this thread and found it patronising I'd tell them to **** off with themselves and grow a thicker skin cos they'll need it.

Sensitivity is the new bigotry smile.gif

DeV.

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeVore:
    WWMan I hate that retort.

If you are refering to my aside story, I dont apologise for it, I dont think it makes me "cooler" because I have gay friends, I dont think *anything* about it except that it was a funny story about a bloke I know which is relatively relevant to this thread.

What are gay people/stories now off limits for PC reasons? Is poking fun at Gay people ok? Should we tiptoe around their sensibilities?

Gah, racism and bigotry will only be dead when you can slag people about "it" and noone is shocked.

If your friends would be unhappy about this thread and found it patronising I'd tell them to **** off with themselves and grow a thicker skin cos they'll need it.

Sensitivity is the new bigotry smile.gif

DeV.
    </font>

not at all tom, and i think you should know me better than that.
    i dont care what people preferences are i dont care what people think of my friends. but some of the attitudes here are that 'hey im hip. i know a gay person'. personally i think its patronising. its like saying, 'i have nothing about coloured poeple, spome of my best friends are black....'
    at the end of the day its a respect of people, not sexual preference that people misunderstand..
    hell, i liked your story and i could tell you a barrelful of them. some to do with lesbians, showers and me in holland. and that was only last week smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boddah

Is anyone who posts on these boards openly gay?
    I'm just being inquisitive, thats all smile.gif

Durty auld Morris drums... they're fu*kin' great!!

i know one person, but that person is not openly gay. and lets face it, would you spill your heart to these people wink.gif

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I know at least one bi poster and one gay poster. (I also no several with blonde hair, and a few with blue eyes. Dont look at me like that... thats the level of difference I think of it...)

That said, its a personal thing to them and obviously it up to them to confide in whoever they want to...

I'll repeat my point up start:

There are nearly 3000 posters. If we take out all Bubbles personae ( smile.gif) it would represent about 1500 actual people.

So you could roughly guess there are 75 gay posters/readers, at 1:20 ratio.

WWMan, I know what you mean, but its like the north, you cant discuss without people presuming you are a "fellow traveller" etc. smile.gif

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

but some of the attitudes here are that 'hey im hip. i know a gay person'. </font>

I don’t think its "hip" to know gay people any more then it is to know heterosexual people. The whole point of my post was that I knew no openly gay people when I lived in Ireland and just wondered how many people posting on Boards new openly gay Irish people living in Ireland. How is this patronising? The only really patronising post I can see is harVee's and that was a joke.

P.S. Naill I didn’t really think you would think I was gay.( If I was the Paula thing might have confused you) smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Tip, from me to you, when your ex GF/now good friend finally admits she's 'become' a lesbian the first think you DON'T do is ask can you watch - even as a joke it doesn't work well..... smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

but some of the attitudes here are that 'hey im hip. i know a gay person'.</font>
    jeeze people take a subject and give their answers seriously and start getting slated for being patronising,
    in future i think i will stick to baiting goths...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Doc:

P.S. Naill I didn’t really think you would think I was gay.( If I was the Paula thing might have confused you) smile.gif
    </font>

Well Paula is a fairly recent and very welcome addition to your life, Dave... My point was that it had never at all during all the time I've known you as a brother, occurred to me that you might be gay... but even if it had occurred to me and I thought you were, it wouldn't have worried me in the slightest. Being either gay or straight is the choice of every person and it makes them no less of a person whatever they choose to be.

[Edit]: I only found out recently that a friend of mine;- someone I'd been working with on a project a couple of months ago, is gay... which was something I never saw coming and actually surprised me, (although, now that I think of it, he's one of the campest individuals I know and, allegedly, actually understands women). Now suddenly knowing this fact has not changed my opinion on him in the slightest or made him any more difficult to talk to.

He would be an example of most gay people I know in that he is open about his sexuality but a lot of people wouldn't know he is gay, simply because it doesn't come up in conversation. That may be your difference- it may be seen as a more taboo subject still over here - may simply still be something that doesn't come up in conversation and so people just never find out, regardless of how open the gay person is.

Bard
    "We do know it was we who scorched the sky..."

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 29-04-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Clintons Cat:
    Originally posted by WhiteWashMan:
    but some of the attitudes here are that 'hey im hip. i know a gay person'.</font>
    jeeze people take a subject and give their answers seriously and start getting slated for being patronising,
    in future i think i will stick to baiting goths...

if i started a thread entitled 'how many black people do you know' and you happened to be black, would you think it was patronising. that point aside, if you cant stand to take a little criticism, then i suggest you do bugger off back to your goths post. as devore said, you wont get far around here if you can give it but not take it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I don't like the suggestion that knowing gay people is some sort of fashion accessory; maybe it is for some people. But I wouldn't know something trendy if I fell over it. The guy I mentioned above I knew for years before I knew he was gay. A specific question was asked and I gave a specific answer to it nothing more.

www.doesnotcompute.ie
    www.gamire.com

In my experience, gay men don't actually understand women on a fundamental level any better than straight blokes do; however, they can relate to them a lot better, perhaps because neither party feels in any way "threatened" by the other...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

Lets see here
    I know 4 people all together so thats 4 over 20.
    which breaks down to 1 over 5.
    Holy **** I know a fifth of a gay person.
    that means by punching someone in the arm or leg, I might be a gay basher.

Can you have homosexual body parts in isolation.... Tonight On Ricky Lake!!!

DeV.

The mind boggles.

Assuming it's not the mind that's gay, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Heh, one of my closest friends is gay, and man, he does not understand women at all! biggrin.gif The stereotype seems funny to me when I think of him. smile.gif He finds us extremely confusing creatures.

Give me back my towel. I'll sue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

I only really know four people. And two live in a different country. And that country is called Archenland. And so, in summation, I may not know cool gay people, but I do know a faun from Archenland.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shinji:
    In my experience, gay men don't actually understand women on a fundamental level any better than straight blokes do; however, they can relate to them a lot better, perhaps because neither party feels in any way "threatened" by the other...</font>

I was more light-heartedly-taking-the-p|ss than anything else when I mentioned that my gay friend understood women and perhaps insinuated that such an understanding was a trait of gay people. I wasn't, obviously, being completely serious.

Bard
    "We do know it was we who scorched the sky..."

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by _CreeD_:
    Tip, from me to you, when your ex GF/now good friend finally admits she's 'become' a lesbian the first think you DON'T do is ask can you watch - even as a joke it doesn't work well..... smile.gif</font>

Amen to that brother!!!

Thankfully, I didn't stick my size 11 into that gaping maw on my pus - someone else said it and bore the brunt of the assault.

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

[url="http://http:clanhitk.warfactory.com"][honey i] violated [the kids][/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pat kenny:
    Lets see here
    I know 4 people all together so thats 4 over 20.
    which breaks down to 1 over 5.
    Holy **** I know a fifth of a gay person.
    that means by punching someone in the arm or leg, I might be a gay basher.
    </font>

ROFLOL biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

if i started a thread entitled 'how many black people do you know' and you happened to be black, would you think it was patronising. that point aside, if you cant stand to take a little criticism, then i suggest you do bugger off back to your goths post. as devore said, you wont get far around here if you can give it but not take it...

</font>

nice to see the irony went straight over your head,fyi i am half indian or as some of my less enlightened fellow brits might say a fu,kin paki,coon,wop or wog so start a thread about "how many black people do you know?" pal...i would not feel in the least bit patronised by peoples comments.And if any gay people are feeling patronised by the comments posted by people in this thread it is their right to tell us so.They dont need any one,even you to speak on their behalf.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">what is it? gay people are like a fashion accessory?
    im sure a lot of my friends would not like to see this thread as theyd probably think it was very patronising....

</font>
    Your hypocracy is shocking and dare i add a little patronising.

As for the goth baiting...its a ****take.Maybe on day i will come clean and admit i actually like goths,hell i even nearly got my head caved in with a baseball bat defending some on new years eve from a bunch of cappa casuals.I suppose that will in your eyes be considered 'hey im hip. i know a goth person'. but hey what can a hip dude do?

nice to see the irony went straight over your head,fyi i am half indian or as some of my less enlightened fellow brits might say a fu,kin paki,coon,wop or wog so start a thread about "how many black people do you know?" pal...i would not feel in the least bit patronised by peoples comments.And if any gay people are feeling patronised by the comments posted by people in this thread it is their right to tell us so.They dont need any one,even you to speak on their behalf.
    what is it? gay people are like a fashion accessory?

</font>
    Your hypocracy is shocking and dare i add a little patronising.

As for the goth baiting...its a ****take.Maybe on day i will come clean and admit i actually like goths,hell i even nearly got my head caved in with a baseball bat defending some on new years eve from a bunch of cappa casuals.I suppose that will in your eyes be considered 'hey im hip. i know a goth person'. but hey what can a hip dude do?

actually, i think youve entirely missed my point....

nice to see the irony went straight over your head,fyi i am half indian or as some of my less enlightened fellow brits might say a fu,kin paki,coon,wop or wog so start a thread about "how many black people do you know?"

</font>
    i think the point i was making was ironic...
    why dont you point out exactly as i was saying. who said anything about euphamisms for coloured people? i think youre onto a different topic altogether....
    pal...i would not feel in the least bit patronised by peoples comments.</font>

looks like it hit a spot somewhere? pot, kettle, connection?
    They dont need any one,even you to speak on their behalf</font>

why not? i think im allowed to express on opinion on anything i want. just because you dont like what i say means you can give me some half excuse not to say something. of course, im sure theres probably a topic around somewhere that has a pot in it by saying that censorship is wrong and everyone has the freedom of speech.

</font>
    Your hypocracy is shocking and dare i add a little patronising.[/QUOTE]

of course you may add it. but im not sure i see the connection to hypocracy. can you point it out again, just so i can be clear about it. i think this goes back to the first point i ws making. think....about...it

</font>

wouldnt know anything about it personally. never said anything on the topic of goths so i'll assume this isnt aimed at me.
    no idea what a cappa casual is?
    goths i guess are social excepted as outcasts, thats about all i'll say on the subject amd they generally have good musical tastes.....
    hope that wasnt too contraversial or stimulating. maybe i should go post on the humour boards there. i dont think they need smilies after every sentence....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I thought that Clintons Cats post was pretty clear WhiteWashMan is it that what he/she(sorry Clinton I don’t know which smile.gif)has cut your argument to shreds that you find it hard to understand?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Doc:
    I thought that Clintons Cats post was pretty clear WhiteWashMan is it that what he/she(sorry Clinton I don’t know which smile.gif)has cut your argument to shreds that you find it hard to understand? </font>

excellent doc, youre really on the ball there. come back to me when you can put a sentence together, otherwise, make your own points a little easier to understand....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Panda

tongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

A little girl was playing in the garden when she spotted two spiders mating.
    "Daddy, what are those two spiders doing?" she asked.
    "They're mating," her father replied.
    "What do you call the spider on top, Daddy?" she asked.
    "That's a daddy longlegs." her father answered.
    "So, the other one is a mommy longlegs?" the little girl asked.
    "No," her father replied. "Both of them are
    daddy longlegs,"
    The little girl thought for a moment, then took her foot and stamped them flat. "Well, we're not having THAT sort of **** in our
    garden."

tongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

Aka: Dragon,Sexual Harassment Panda, SCUMM.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement