Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M28 - Cork to Ringaskiddy [advance works pending; 2024 start]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

The steering group need to wake up, village or not they are holding up this process

https://twitter.com/corksafetyalert/status/1292730099675082757?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The steering group need to wake up, village or not they are holding up this process

https://twitter.com/corksafetyalert/status/1292730099675082757?s=21

It’s a bit of a stretch calling them a group when it’s just a small few fundamentalists pretending to represent an entire suburb, and they don’t need to wake up, they need to piss off putting their house valuations ahead of road safety, commuter times, traffic, progress, development and safety all under the guise of wildlife and noise pollution.

It’s a bit of a stretch calling them a group when it’s just a small few fundamentalists pretending to represent an entire suburb, and they don’t need to wake up, they need to piss off putting their house valuations ahead of road safety, commuter times, traffic, progress, development and safety all under the guise of wildlife and noise pollution.

I agree, at best it’s a handful of objectors. The flip side is they have registered as a group for the legal proceedings. They’ve already stated they aren’t opposed to the motorway, just not through their area, we all know the 5 letter acronym that applies to them of which they deny they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Cork City and County fire units are currently dealing with " hazardous materials incident " on Carrs Hill.

What needs to happen here for this project to start to happen?

It is frustrating and I do not have to contend with rush hour type conditions on that borreen.

kub wrote: »
    Cork City and County fire units are currently dealing with " hazardous materials incident " on Carrs Hill.

It is frustrating and I do not have to contend with rush hour type conditions on that borreen.

Reverse psychology will be used by that lot here, they’ll say this is just cause not to route it via the N28 corridor, you and I both know that this is needed yesterday. My fear here now is the 2028 completion date based on no further legal challenges, why these cases can’t be fast tracked or have a court dedicated to such is beyond me. Only for the legal challenge we’d surely see some Activity on site by now. The

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

kub wrote: »

I passed it there around 7:30. It was on the northbound climbing lane after Maxol. 4-5 units of the fire brigade with 2/3 people in hazmat suits putting something into a bag

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

As someone who works in Ringaskiddy, I can't wait for the road to be built. I'm all for it as I see the greater good it brings. Even though the Steering Groups route of through Ballygarvan would suit me a lot better as I go to work through Ballygarvan.

When the M28 is built it will take a lot of traffic out of Passage, Monkstown and Ballygarvan as people are using these rat runs to avoid the overcrowded M28.

marno21 wrote: »
    I passed it there around 7:30. It was on the northbound climbing lane after Maxol. 4-5 units of the fire brigade with 2/3 people in hazmat suits putting something into a bag

It was child’s play compared to this

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-10075665.html?type=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Reverse psychology will be used by that lot here, they’ll say this is just cause not to route it via the N28 corridor, you and I both know that this is needed yesterday. My fear here now is the 2028 completion date based on no further legal challenges, why these cases can’t be fast tracked or have a court dedicated to such is beyond me. Only for the legal challenge we’d surely see some Activity on site by now. The

The 2028 date is also based on the previous governments priorities, pre Brexit, pre Covid and pre another few price increases in the NCH. I will be shocked if it’s done in 8 years.

The 2028 date is also based on the previous governments priorities, pre Brexit, pre Covid and pre another few price increases in the NCH. I will be shocked if it’s done in 8 years.

With the Greens in government and their 2:1 spending in favour of cycling/walking it certainly won’t help, even with EU funding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

With the Greens in government and their 2:1 spending in favour of cycling/walking it certainly won’t help, even with EU funding.

The Greens envision moving freight by Trireme.

I agree. It’s backwards they’ll put us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

This sounds a bit hysterical tbh. I haven't seen any green party statements opposing this short motorway. But they will be a handy scapegoat by the Big Two if there are any delays to this scheme.

This sounds a bit hysterical tbh. I haven't seen any green party statements opposing this short motorway. But they will be a handy scapegoat by the Big Two if there are any delays to this scheme.

It’s getting EU funding so they are limited to what they can say or do. Other projects however........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It’s getting EU funding so they are limited to what they can say or do. Other projects however........

The greens really aren't relevant to this discussion from what I can see. The 2 to 1 split is not going to have an impact on the relatively modest proposals for finishing off the motorway network, it's more the widening ideas or the insanely expensive Galway outer bypass that will come under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭SeanW

If one were more hopeful, we might hope that a 2:1 split means more public transport projects going ahead, not less roads being built.

Because for all the roads vs. rail nonsense, the simple fact is that there has not been enough investment in transport generally. We're still waiting for things that should have been done 20 years ago like the M20, the Dublin Metro, Dart Underground, mainline/suburban railway electrification, Cork Luas and and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Limerick74

Any reason why the M28 forum is currently closed? Next court listing for 21st September.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

MOD:

This thread and indeed the topic of the M28 has been heavily debated on this forum for years. Unfortunately, there have been times when the level of discourse has gone beyond what is deemed unacceptable around here.

This thread will be reopened with a few strict conditions

1. Users are to remain civil to one another at all times.
    2. Discussion of ongoing day to day incidents on the N28, the frequency of which has been well documented, is not of benefit to the thread. The safety issues with the road are outlined in the EIS and in this thread, and the repeated accidents are a feature we are all aware of. Please avoid such discussion in future.
    3. The discussion of opinions of individuals who may be against the scheme, who are not members of the forum, or the discussion of the individuals themselves is not permitted on this thread.

This thread is perfect for discussion of how the M28 moves forward, with regular updates. It is not a discussion of the past, nor is it for conversations about objections or anything of the sort which have been done to absolute death. Please let it become a useful and enjoyable thread for all.

As Limerick74 posted in the M20 thread, and Hibernicis also pointed out via PM as the thread was closed, the M28 case is listed for a one day hearing in the High Court on September 21st. Hopefully we will receive some positive news.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Is the September 21st hearing (the delayed) attempt to appeal to Supreme court?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Is the September 21st hearing (the delayed) attempt to appeal to Supreme court?

No. At this stage as far as is known they are seeking leave to appeal to the Court of Appeal. They have indicated that if this is not granted they will look to proceed to the Supreme Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

The hearing is due today

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭danny004

Does anyone have an idea of the permutations time wise depending on what happens today for instance if they are granted leave to appeal to the appeals court how long would that take for a judgment or if they are refused leave how long will it take to petition the supreme court and get an answer there.

The following are the details for per the High Court Legal Diary for today (21st Sept 2020), last updated on Friday 18th. So it looks like the hearing is going ahead and this should consist entirely of legal arguments on whether or not the appeal to the Court of Appeal should be allowed. Note that while the appeal was originally allocated 2 days, when it was rescheduled "post lockdown" it was reduced to one day. I'd expect an adjournment one way or the other, either to allow the Judge to consider the arguments and reach his decision, or to schedule another day for hearing further argument. In any event given the history of this case it is impossible to predict how long it will take for a decision to emerge.

IN COURT 15 (Capacity 9)
    MR JUSTICE MAC GRATH
    AT 10.00
    FOR HEARING
    AT 11.00 O'CLOCK
    JUDICIAL REVIEW
    FOR HEARING

IN COURT 15
    MR JUSTICE MAC GRATH
    AT 10.00 O'CLOCK
    2019 316 JR KENNEDY & ANOR -V- THE MINISTER FOR AGRICULTURE FOOD AND THE MARINE
    AT 10.30 O'CLOCK
    2018 708 JR M28 STEERING GROUP -V- AN BORD PLEANALA

Keep an eye on the M28 Facebook page, that has usually been the first indication any movement.

Nothing on the Facebook page since June, still laughable to look at :pac:

High Court Search Website has been updated indicating that judgment has been reserved by Justice MacGrath. Next listed for 17th November 2020.

Soul destroying when you think that this small minded kite flying exercise by Justin Gerard and his un-democratic and wholly non-representative motley crew started on 28th August 2018, well over two years ago and probably has a lot more distance to run. Meanwhile tens of thousands endure the dangerous misery that is the N28 on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

Hibernicis wrote: »
    High Court Search Website has been updated indicating that judgment has been reserved by Justice MacGrath. Next listed for 17th November 2020.

Soul destroying when you think that this small minded kite flying exercise by Justin Gerard and his un-democratic and wholly non-representative motley crew started on 28th August 2018, well over two years ago and probably has a lot more distance to run. Meanwhile tens of thousands endure the dangerous misery that is the N28 on a daily basis.

Will it be pushed back again on 17 of November ,it's dragged out to long all ready

From the M28 Steering Group Facebook Page, posted last night.
    M28 V APB
    Application for certification to proceed to Court of Appeal / Supreme Court
    Hi all,
    Hope you are keeping well and staying safe during this awful period.
    I can now confirm that a hearing on the above took place on Monday 21st September 2020 at the High Court in Dublin before Mr Justice MacGrath.
    The position is as follows;
    Judgement has been reserved and we believe the courts decision is expected to be delivered on the 17th November next. A written judgement will be issued and will be legally examined to determine how we proceed.
    So what's next;
    If we succeed we move directly to the Court of Appeal / Supreme Court .If our application is refused the notice party - TII & Cork County Council will immediately move to have the road project EIA perfected and signed into law thereby giving legal effect for the road project to proceed.
    Should this occur we have 21 days from the judgement in which to petition the Supreme court directly.
    I will revert as soon as the courts decision is handed down.
    Kind regards,

I honestly cannot for the life of me see how they can win

• Advertisement

steeler j wrote: »
    Will it be pushed back again on 17 of November ,it's dragged out to long all ready

This is a fairly straight forward matter, the Judge simply has to decide whether or not to allow the appeal to proceed. He will have been presented with a legal submission stating the reason/s for the appeal, e.g "the Judge erred in law..." or "the Judge failed to take account of...." The Judge is already very familiar with the case and the shouldn't have to wade through a lot of submissions and other documents. According to the High Court Diary he had a free day on the 22nd (the day after the hearing) so hopefully he got started on his written judgement.

So hopefully it will not be pushed back again and we will have a decision one way or the other on the 17th Nov, but given the sad history of this case anything is possible.

In any event, given the statements previously made by the M28 Steering Group there is likely to be a lot more time wasted even if there is a decision on the 17th, either by the appeal to the Court of Appeal or the Petition to the Supreme Court. Either/both of these could take a long time.

Advertisement