Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M28 - Cork to Ringaskiddy [advance works pending; 2024 start]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Yes yes fcuking yes :D

The objectors Facebook page has made for fantastic reading today.

Roll on the M28.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Limerick74 wrote: »
    First reports are that the Judge has refused the relief. In other words the objectors did not succeed in their challenge.

Hooray!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭cjpm

Yes yes fcuking yes :D

The objectors Facebook page has made for fantastic reading today.

Roll on the M28.

Absolutely great news. Long overdue too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Outstanding news.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

Was it June 2018 when ABP approved it first?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Limerick74

From M28 Steering Group’s Facebook page:

Hi all,

I regret to inform you that the High Court has this day 20th December 2019 ruled against our case for a judicial Review on the M28 Environmental Impact Assessment.

I know this will come as a great disappointment for you, your family and fellow residents. Despite giving it our best shot we've come up short. I'm truly sorry we didnt get it over the line but we tried.

Our legal team has committed to review the judgement in early January 2020 and will advise as to whether or not an appeal to the Court of Appeal / Supreme court is merited. Should the advice be to proceed then formal submission must be made to the high court by January 23rd next.

Once again thank you for your support..!

Kind regards & my very best wishes for the future.

Gerard Harrington

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

steeler j wrote: »
    Was it June 2018 when ABP approved it first?

ABP approved it on 4th July 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭betistuc

Wonderful news. This is a dangerous road especially on a dark,wet night. The port can start to grow now.

Based on their performance to date it is probably too much to hope for that the small group of objectors will accept the decision and move on. Rather it is likely that their sense of grievance and indignation will be magnified and they will selflessly and relentlessly press on fighting the good fight against the forces of evil and darkness whose number now include the High Court in addition to CCC and ABP. The only likely stumbling block will be any liability they will have for costs.

Mr Justice Michael MacGrath is a relatively new appointment to the High Court; early 2018 I think. Like most human beings he will not relish the prospect of being shown to be wrong by his superiors, in this case the higher courts should it go to appeal. Let us hope that he spent most of the extended time he has taken ensuring that the i’s were dotted and the t’s crossed so that his decision holds up in the event of an appeal.

Meanwhile 40,000 or 50,000 thousand people per day endue the misery that is the N28 and investment in the region remains under a cloud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

Hibernicis wrote: »
    ABP approved it on 4th July 2018

I was thinking it was held up around 18 months , hopefully no more hold ups

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Not only is this good news, but I genuinely think the new road will be an improvement for the residents not a disimprovement. Noise barriers will be erected, ratrunning traffic on local and estate roads will in most cases disappear and by the time the road is open many of the vehicles using it will be electric and therefore pollution levels may even be lower than at present despite the increased traffic this will generate on the route.

That, and the positive economic effects of allowing the port to move out of Cork and to the new site, allowing for large regeneration of a city area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Great News.

The existing N28 isnt fit for purpose.

You got all the factories around Ringaskiddy.

The Port Of Cork is being expanded in Ringaskiddy.

And you got Carrigaline which has a growing population.

The motorway has to be built.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Not only is this good news, but I genuinely think the new road will be an improvement for the residents not a disimprovement. Noise barriers will be erected, ratrunning traffic on local and estate roads will in most cases disappear and by the time the road is open many of the vehicles using it will be electric and therefore pollution levels may even be lower than at present despite the increased traffic this will generate on the route.

That, and the positive economic effects of allowing the port to move out of Cork and to the new site, allowing for large regeneration of a city area.

The new local junctions will be a massive improvement. The original junction set was even better but got canned due to them complaining.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Won't someone think of the property values!! (the thing the main anti- poster here admitted was their actual concern)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Delighted this has gone through. As someone who is working in Ringaskiddy it'll make a massive difference to the traffic. It'll mean that I wouldn't have to take the rat run from Ballinhassig, Ballygarvan, Carrigaline to Ringaskiddy. I go that way to avoid the hold-ups on Carr's Hill. Sometimes I have no choice but to go via Carr's Hill due to be driving a slightly larger than normal vehicle.

Also, I've family members in Passage West. It'll also mean a reduction in traffic as I know of people, in order to avoid Carr's Hill, go through Rochestown, Passage West, Monkstown

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Fantastic news. Delighted the NIMBYs got their comeuppance.

I hope if they have the audacity to appeal, and it fails (which I most certainly hope it does), that costs are awarded against them. Hopefully that will draw a line in the sand and be payback for the past year and a half of delay - and more to the point, give other groups around the country second thoughts about trying to pull a similar stunt. We cannot have a small but very vocal minority holding back our towns and cities for the other 99% of people who know the benefits projects like this will bring.

There are enough people outside of our city who want to do it down without some of the locals doing a better job than anyone in Dublin could ever do in talking down our city and its potential.

I had the misfortune to be in Carrigaline recently and the place is destroyed by traffic, impossible to get into and out of it and the N28 is like a carpark in the evenings. Of course, it has been for so many years.

Not only will the motorway facilitate the moving of Cork port down to Ringaskiddy, and offer superior access for all those businesses operating down there, it will also provide considerable benefits for the residents of everywhere between there and Carrigaline, not to mention, Monkstown and Passage as it will stop people using these villages as rat-runs to avoid the chaos of the existing road.

It will even be good for public transport as there can be express buses between the city centre and Ringaskiddy, and will no doubt help the 220X, which utilises the N28 and N40 to operate between Carrigaline/Crosshaven and the city centre, also, so it will tick that box, too. Better for the planet also as cars will be able to travel at motorway speeds, which is much more fuel efficient than the type of stop/start driving that happens on the existing road.

They’re Facebook page is deluded. How on earth can they go on about the planning system in Ireland being broken and that their alternative route making so much more sense. None of their argument makes any sense unless you apply NIMBY logic to it.

They’re Facebook page is deluded. How on earth can they go on about the planning system in Ireland being broken and that their alternative route making so much more sense. None of their argument makes any sense unless you apply NIMBY logic to it.

Just seen that, only a handful of people think their alternative is better, imagine the extra cost involved as well by going via the R613. As I said before, Harrington is a Northsider originally, when the Blackpool bypass was being built almost in people’s backyards he was nowhere. O’Dea who is an architect is the main but not the only driver of that page and it was his input which helped drive it on to the level it reached. The judge seen through them which is great, hopefully a nice big fat bill of costs follows.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭prunudo

Is this the location of the environmentally sensitive quarry they had issue with?

Dropped pin
    Near Raffeen, Co. Cork
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/AkEQQTATbJPpEogr6

• Advertisement

prunudo wrote: »
    Is this the location of the environmentally sensitive quarry they had issue with?

Dropped pin
    Near Raffeen, Co. Cork
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/AkEQQTATbJPpEogr6

Correct. The quarry is a the rear of the site. This is the facebook page belong to the group who are advocating the protection of the quarry, there are some photos if you scroll down:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1827331937531937/

The road was originally routed through Fernhill GC (now closed) which is located to the south of the quarry but was rerouted to avoid the golf club. As well as routing the road through the quarry it is planned to extract a considerable amount of rock from the quarry to use elsewhere in the construction of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Hibernicis wrote: »
    Correct. The quarry is a the rear of the site. This is the facebook page belong to the group who are advocating the protection of the quarry, there are some photos if you scroll down:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1827331937531937/

The road was originally routed through Fernhill GC (now closed) which is located to the south of the quarry but was rerouted to avoid the golf club. As well as routing the road through the quarry it is planned to extract a considerable amount of rock from the quarry to use elsewhere in the construction of the road.

Seems perfectly logical to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

So, I guess the next stage in the process is to wait to see if an appeal is lodged. That'll be in January sometime. Can anybody hazard a (halfway educated) guess as to when it'll be completed?

Yes I'm selfishly thinking of myself, a potential user

ianobrien wrote: »
    So, I guess the next stage in the process is to wait to see if an appeal is lodged. That'll be in January sometime. Can anybody hazard a (halfway educated) guess as to when it'll be completed?

Yes I'm selfishly thinking of myself, a potential user

I'm open to correction on this, but i think any appeal from now on must be on a point of law, the written judgement is what will determine if they do or do not appeal basically, i've no doubt they will try everything in their power though.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭danny004

I dont think they will appeal first costs are awarded on the 23rd so they will lose their own 100k but probably avoid the councils cost and they were lucky to get funding for this appeal.
    Second in the supreme court they are starting from a basis of their own new costs plus certain to have to pay the councils costs so that is a bond of 200k they will need.
    The problem I have in general is the moral position people in this thread take.
    For me I think everyone has a right to appeal but I think it should be on the basis of the issues it will cause peoples home not in a quarry 15 km away (so im not sympathetic to the steering group) but saying that others should also at least be honest enough to say they wouldn't like a motorway placed next to their homes and most probably would fight tooth and nail to stop it if roles are reversed.
    And yada yada people can go on about the greater good but id love to know how many of them supported water charges for the greater good as an instance.
    Thirdly its ugly ,ungracious and childish the way people carry on here even now calling out golfer50 because of his different viewpoint.
    These threads about this road are at times deplorable but of course anonymity make big men and women out of people.
    And just for clarity I protect my anonymity on this thread because my views are consistently balanced in being neither for nor against but deeply affected by this road

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Golfer50

ianobrien wrote: »

Good question!
    Now that it appears that approval has been granted, it’ll be down to funding being available, CPOs and land purchase, detailed design, tenders, then the construction phase. Construction is expected to take 3 yrs. I believe Dunkettle is expected to finish in 2023 and this is to happen before the M28 but I presume that preliminary works, archaeology etc on M28 will happen at the same time as Dunkettle.
    In view of the Glanmire debacle I would say that the funding is the first stumbling block. Maybe someone has information on this?

Cheers danny004. I was a bit surprised to see my name as it’s such a long time since I contributed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Golfer50 wrote: »
    In view of the Glanmire debacle I would say that the funding is the first stumbling block.
    Which Glanmire debacle Golfer50?

Also, I am not confident about Dunkettle's projected timelines, personally.

They should easily be able to raise necessary funding if they represent 10,000 as they claim in the Douglas area.

Suspect you’ll see a piece in the Echo this week being very pro steering group.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Golfer50

Which Glanmire debacle Golfer50?
    I am referring to Sisk being awarded a contract, advance work proceeding, subsequently TII not being able to agree the price leading to the whole show closing down and returning to market, delaying the thing for over a year.

• Advertisement

Golfer50 wrote: »
    I am referring to Sisk being awarded a contract, advance work proceeding, subsequently TII not being able to agree the price leading to the whole show closing down and returning to market, delaying the thing for over a year.

I share your frustration over the delay, but I’m not sure that its fair to describe this as a debacle. The concept of awarding a 2 phase contract was a good one. Sisk were engaged to do the investigative, design and preparatory stage (phase 1) with an exclusive option on the build stage (phase 2) provided the price could be agreed. Had it worked out then it would have fastracked the build phase. Sisk couldn’t agree a price withCCC/TII, therefore it has reverted to the standard process of tendering for phase 2. This “get-out” option was essential, as the alternative would have render the public purse wide open to Sisk, a private contractor. This was probably not the ideal project for this new approach to be trialed. But in reality we are no worse off than if this had gone through the conventional approach of tendering and awarding each phase separately.

Advertisement