Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science students...

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Which is the point I was making, it's not the word itself, it's the context. Do you honestly think someone with any sort of social conscience would walk into mental disability centre and use the word retard? You're not the only one who's work/study is connected to the mentally disabled, so is mine but I don't see why I can't say retard in the right context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

I don't like conversations/discussions/arguments on political correctness. It seems that only the people who either have no regard for it at all and think it's some kind of subliminal oppression or people who think that many, many words are sinful or something and should never be used, have an opinion on it.

I think JOhn2 and someone else tried to introduce the idea that all words have a place somewhere in language, as long as they're in the right context. However, I think I'd agree with Chick that they're are a few words, I'd never use, in verbal or written form. The N word would be one. The C word I use a lot, and I was in total agreement with APex a few months ago as it was then, my favourite swear word. Concerning the R word, I'm in agreement with JOhn2. I'd never use it to describe people with disabilities nor would I use it to insult someone. For example, "Shut up, you stupid C***" is fine by me. However, "Shut up, you stupid R*****" would make me cringe, and then slightly angry.

On a side issue, the context of things is often ambigious as are lots of swear words. So by this definiaton I feel they're the ammonition of unsophisicated people. However, bad spelling is just indicative or intelligent people who are careless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

Chick wrote:
    Evilution - I'm not going to start rating swear words for you ok? I just do not like retard. End of scéal.

Ah, g'wan.

I don't like conversations/discussions/arguments on political correctness.

PC is the new evil, if you ask me.

subliminal oppression
    ~~~~
    evil

evilution would be type A i see.

• Advertisement

Pardon?

althought i didn't seem to make it clear, my intention of an earlier post was to make the point that concerning pc, there are two main camps.

Those that think its evil - type a.
    And those that think it's essential - type b.
    With me?

althought i didn't seem to make it clear, my intention of an earlier post was to make the point that concerning pc, there are two main camps.

Those that think its evil - type a.
    And those that think it's essential - type b.
    With me?

Crystal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

~~~~

Heh. I'd be a type A too, although not militantly. Too much political correctness only impairs free speech; just look at the play in the UK that was cancelled when the Sikhs protested. However, tact and common sense are necessary.

I would use retard occasionally, but only to people I know well, and only for minor transgressions. Like a friend of mine was staring at this girl's ass as we were walking behind her one day, and he was staring so hard that he walked into a bus-pole and fell on his ass. I called him a retard for that, naturally enough. But another friend admitted that she wasn't sure how to do long division, did I call her stupid/a retard for that? Not a chance. Tact, common sense, whatever you want to call it. It's all about context.

Even words like **** or ******, which are some of the most taboo words around, can be harmless when used by gay/black people themselves.

In short; extreme political correctness only helps those who are too sensitive to live in the real world.

Pet wrote:
    nigg3r, which are some of the most taboo words around, can be harmless when used by gay/black people themselves

When I was in the USA last summer working, worked with loads of blacks guys. Was quite funny hearing them call each other nigg3r etc. all the time. Was even called a nigg3r myself too, once or twice. Did I say it back? Nooooooo!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Miles

If you do use it then it is best to use it niggardly.

Miles wrote:

No man, no way. It was funny to watch though. Was even called a 'cracker' a few times too. I only thought Chris Rock said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Miles wrote:
    LOL, good one. :D

Advertisement