Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science students...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Chick wrote:
    Sangre obviously just has a chip in his shouler over something. Don't be stupid and "un-ban" him? What's the point in that for gods sake? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

If he's only going to just abuse everybody!?

And yes, I know un-ban is not a word, if that's what you're laughing at now.

no chick, calm down i was only agreeing with u.

Oh alright, just being my usual paranoid self lol, I thought you were taking the piss...

Maybe he was, chick, maybe he was...

• Advertisement

Don't start you! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Did you unban him Ian? I would but I don't know how, nor do I really care to figure it out.

no i didn't, and no real intension of doing such........

So it's settled then?

Gotta go start getting ready, I'm going out 2nite yay! :D

yep :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

ho ho ho green giant

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Chick wrote:
    You're lucky you put in that Pet * :mad: Cos I usually lose my rag when ppl say stuff like that. Or "retard"... Don't even get me started on that. It's the height of ignorance.

So you're not a fan of this Trinity based band then?

I don't see why people get upset over words. In some contexts I agree they can downright nasty and ignorant but when the person saying it doesn't mean it maliciously it shouldn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

You're lucky you put in that Pet * Cos I usually lose my rag when ppl say stuff like that. Or "retard"... Don't even get me started on that. It's the height of ignorance.

Oh noo!!! I know a girl like that, and she's SO annoying. You can't say stupid, ****, retard, ****, dip****, tard, knob, twat, mong or idiot around her, or she'll be up your ass in no time. PLEASE tell me that if someone says "retard" in a fairly innocuous context, you let it slip!?

I can't go out, I'm all ill. :(

John2 wrote:
    So you're not a fan of this Trinity based band then?
    I don't see why people get upset over words. In some contexts I agree they can downright nasty and ignorant but when the person saying it doesn't mean it maliciously it shouldn't matter.
    No I'm not a fan.
    When not said mailciously it mightnt be as bad no, but it still shouldnt be used. It's just not appropriate. "Retard" is still used in america for handicapped people, so its not as if the word isnt used anymore and doesnt mean anything. Therefore its still wrong.

Pet - I've absolutely no issues with dip****, knob, twat, idiot etc. Sure I'm always saying knob!
    But mong and retard, yes.

Oh and It was the crappest night out anyway. :(

SkyLynx wrote:
    no i didn't, and no real intension of doing such........
    Fascist.

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Fascist.
    well i suppose its a step up from being called a nazi......

Chick wrote:
    When not said mailciously it mightnt be as bad no, but it still shouldnt be used. It's just not appropriate. "Retard" is still used in america for handicapped people, so its not as if the word isnt used anymore and doesnt mean anything. Therefore its still wrong.

But it's still just a word. I don't think you shouldn't use a word just because it can have negative connotations in certain contexts. Otherwise we wouldn't have things like fire retardants. Or Mongolian barbeque. Or spam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

"Retard" is still used in america for handicapped people

What else would you expect from a country where 40% of the population believe that the earth was made in 7 days, and that evolution is "Satan's work"..:rolleyes:

I've never heard any Irish people describe a handicapped person as a retard; most people would realise that it's up there with calling a black person a ******.
    Or maybe I just live a sheltered life, surrounded by really considerate people? :confused:

John2 wrote:
    But it's still just a word. I don't think you shouldn't use a word just because it can have negative connotations in certain contexts

Maybe so. I just don't like what it implies that's all. And it can be very hurtful for people who are handicapped and their friends/relatives. I just think it's extremely ignorant.

so by your logic people shouldn't say bastard because it may offend people who were born out of wedlock?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

Chick wrote:
    "Retard" is still used in america for handicapped people

Yeah, but the americans are idiots. Relying on the americans for correct english is kinda like asking Osama Bin Laden to spearhead an amnesty international campaign.

John2 wrote:
    so by your logic people shouldn't say bastard because it may offend people who were born out of wedlock?

Retard is more contraversial in my eyes than bastard.

Chick wrote:
    Retard is more contraversial in my eyes than bastard.

Thats a bit mad, quantifying the level of insult in those words. Can I just ask you how the following words come in:
    - Kunt
    - Twat
    - Hoor
    - Wanker
    - Bender
    - Slapper
    - Tramp
    - Bitch
    - Slut
    - Asshole
    - Queer
    - $hithead

Are any of these as bad or worse than Retard? Some people might say yes. Thats because they have a different concept of what the word retard means. Not saying anything bad about you, but I dislike people who take additional offense to words in common parlance.

???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

it's the thought behind the word and the person saying them, not the actual meaning of the word. Take Counter strike gamers on this forum, they call each other faggots and gays all the time(or used to cause CS sucks now), While its annoying and immature, who really gives a fuk. On the other hand, a prominent member once of boards once dismissed an entire argument by a gay poster simply with the embolden word ****. Which resulted in a fair amounth of fall out...

Cúnt is by far the best word.. You can say it with so much anger it's deadly. Just go really hard on the C and your sorted.. My favourite swear word at the mo' by far.

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Cúnt is by far the best word.. You can say it with so much anger it's deadly. Just go really hard on the C and your sorted.. My favourite swear word at the mo' by far.

Cúnt - loved by men, protected by women

**** is a nice one, but normally needs another word like face to follow it.

Evilution - I'm not going to start rating swear words for you ok? I just do not like retard. End of scéal.

Engineers use the owrd all the time in a completely different context. You can't take a word and judge it out of context

• Advertisement

Well I'm not an engineer and don't plan on ever being one. Using it in my place of work isn't acceptable.

Advertisement