Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linkin Park and Jay-Z

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

I think you missunderstand its 1.5 million coppies sold, and worldwide market is not talked about much but it makes a load of money sure eminems second album sold something like 5 million in america and worldwide sold like 18 million coppies. Even if all they sell is the 1.5 million coppies thats still a hell of a lot of money, even if they only get a few dollers off each record its a decent few million each. Its not going to get split 7 ways it will be 50 50 with jay and lpark cant see any situation where jay z would split it with them 7 ways.

Anyway turns out your right he has $286 million which im fairly supprised at.

Still the album is totally made for cash even if its just for the 50g as you say thats still nothing to say no too seeing as it took them no time or effort to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Kristok wrote:
    I think you missunderstand its 1.5 million coppies sold, and worldwide market is not talked about much but it makes a load of money sure eminems second album sold something like 5 million in america and worldwide sold like 18 million coppies. Even if all they sell is the 1.5 million coppies thats still a hell of a lot of money, even if they only get a few dollers off each record its a decent few million each. Its not going to get split 7 ways it will be 50 50 with jay and lpark cant see any situation where jay z would split it with them 7 ways.

Anyway turns out your right he has $286 million which im fairly supprised at.

Still the album is totally made for cash even if its just for the 50g as you say thats still nothing to say no too seeing as it took them no time or effort to make.

I don't believe those eminem figures. Who bought the 18 million? Irish and the english? Not many continental europeans buy eminems albums i imagine. Generally popular artists sell more albums in america than the rest of the world. Why do you think the american market is so coveted?
    Decent few dollars off the album? they'd make maybe 1 dollar per album, 1.50 maybe. That'd be collectively. That'd be a pretty good deal. I'd say it is split 7 ways.
    50gs is nothing to any of them! Especially jay-z. I did think he was worth more like 200-300 million. He must have a share in rocawear then. Jay-z couldnt even buy a chain for 50 grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I'd say Eminem sells very well in continental Europe, Germany especially.

Enough to make 18 million? I don't think so but i could be wrong. I can't imagine he sold 5 in america and 13 everywhere else.

18 million I would very much doubt.
    I'm sure it would plastered all over the cd case if the Marshall Mathers LP was 18x Platinum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

He is the second best selling Hip Hop artish ever already with 17+ million units sold. According to MTV Base anyway..

That would cover 4 albums though surely.
    Who is the biggest selling HipHop artist? 2pac I suppose?

Actually i'd say Eminem has sold more than that in total. He'd easily have sold 20 million over four albums I imagine. I just think the vast majority of those are american sales. 2pac is the biggest yeah. Snoop and jay-z are up their too.

I read that on mtv.com just before the eminem show came out but cant find it on their site now. I found this site that says he sold 7 million in america and this site that says he sold 18 million copies of the marshall mathers cd. Its hard to find any info on worldwide sales as they are not quoted regularly. If you dont believe these sites (which i could understand as they are fairly dodgy looking) bbc.co.uk have him as selling 16million copies of marshall mathers lp but I am 100% sure it was 18 in 2002 and probably more now.

Eminem is the biggest selling rap artist of all time even bigger than 2pac, remember even people who dont like rap buy his records where as 2pac is only bought by rap fans and his biggest selling album of all time, all ayez on me only sold 11 million coppies and thats to date since he died. Its not just english speaking countries who buy eminem records like england and ireland but the whole world english and non english alike.

David 19 the american market is so coveted only by non american artists and because it is the single biggest market in the world. While eminem may have sold 18+ million coppies of that album 7 million in the states was the most in any single market, the rest are sold in countreis where it mainly sells allot less than a million coppies in each market.

Anyway im very supprised that jay z is worth that much frankly, his albums dont sell more than about 3 million at best, but I suppose with all the other pots he has his hands in the money builds up. Id love it if you can show me any proof that the linkin park get a 6/1 split with jay z cause it really seems odd to me as bands ususally get an equal share as one entity, just seems unlikly to me they would get so much more than jay z.

Who distrubites that album anyways def jam, rocafella ?!?

Ok maybe that eminem stuff is true, fair enough. I didn't think he'd sell that much outside america. This isn't really relevant though, eminem is a lot more popular worldwide than jay-z or even linkin park.
    Jay-z sold 5 million of volume 2. I don't think the black album topped that. Thats his biggest seller. The rest of his albums do between 2 and 5. Thats the point though, you don't make much money from record sales unless you're selling a huge amount.
    I have no proof its split 7 ways, i just imagine thats the fair thing to do as they're all putting in the work.
    Defjam and rocafella dont distribute the album afaik. Sure jay-z is president of def jam, if they did he'd probably make all the money lol.

• Advertisement

Since when is Jay-Z president of Def Jam?

Couple of weeks now, he sold his share of roca fella to def jam as did biggs and dash and then became president of def jam under la reid. Apparently dash and biggs are pissed off with jay z cause he got the rocafella records name and they wanted it. The artists on the roc went different ways, some to the new rocafella company and some with dash for his company.

I thought LA Reid was president of Arista.
    Russell Simmons is president of Def Jam isnt he?

Leor cohen was running def jam and Kevin Liles was president. Cohen and Liles are now running universal music group I think. I dont think russel simmons does much over there anymore. La reid has been running def jam for bout 6 months i think, he was the reason they bought out the roc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I saw a few extracts from the DVD on MTV Base the other day, tis good car music but tisn't what you'd call heavy by any means. Some colabs between rap and metal can be good ie Public Enemy v Anthrax

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Didnt like it at first listen, especially after spending $17 on six measly tracks but on subsequent listens i found it to be a much better mix of the songs than I initially thought. If it was a 10 tracker I would give it 4.5/5, otherwise 3.5 is the final score.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

David19 wrote:
    Enough to make 18 million? I don't think so but i could be wrong. I can't imagine he sold 5 in america and 13 everywhere else.

Shaggy's last album sold 14million...

the offsping were 16x plat with americana and 12x plat with smash.

the highest selling rapper is probably Jigga, he has a lot of albums abd love or hate him the majority of people in the industry regard him as "the best rapper alive".

Makaveli wrote:
    That would cover 4 albums though surely.
    Who is the biggest selling HipHop artist? 2pac I suppose?

Definatly his 4 albums together.

Kristok wrote:
    I read that on mtv.com just before the eminem show came out but cant find it on their site now. I found this site that says he sold 7 million in america and this site that says he sold 18 million copies of the marshall mathers cd. Its hard to find any info on worldwide sales as they are not quoted regularly. If you dont believe these sites (which i could understand as they are fairly dodgy looking) bbc.co.uk have him as selling 16million copies of marshall mathers lp but I am 100% sure it was 18 in 2002 and probably more now.

Eminem is the biggest selling rap artist of all time even bigger than 2pac, remember even people who dont like rap buy his records where as 2pac is only bought by rap fans and his biggest selling album of all time, all ayez on me only sold 11 million coppies and thats to date since he died. Its not just english speaking countries who buy eminem records like england and ireland but the whole world english and non english alike.

David 19 the american market is so coveted only by non american artists and because it is the single biggest market in the world. While eminem may have sold 18+ million coppies of that album 7 million in the states was the most in any single market, the rest are sold in countreis where it mainly sells allot less than a million coppies in each market.

Anyway im very supprised that jay z is worth that much frankly, his albums dont sell more than about 3 million at best, but I suppose with all the other pots he has his hands in the money builds up. Id love it if you can show me any proof that the linkin park get a 6/1 split with jay z cause it really seems odd to me as bands ususally get an equal share as one entity, just seems unlikly to me they would get so much more than jay z.

Who distrubites that album anyways def jam, rocafella ?!?

Eminem isn't Rap I'd class him in the pop-hop catagory with nelly chingy and Ja Rule, 14 year old white girls who hate school bs.

As for who distrubits colission course it's MTV's inhouse label afaik.

Also Jay-z sells well in excess of 3 million copys of his albums in the states, sales of the black album were crazy same with blue print one and two and most of his others albums, he's an institution in the U.S.

Seaneh wrote:
    Shaggy's last album sold 14million...

the offsping were 16x plat with americana and 12x plat with smash.

the highest selling rapper is probably Jigga, he has a lot of albums abd love or hate him the majority of people in the industry regard him as "the best rapper alive".

You know Im talking about eminem right? Im a jay-z fan, I know how popular he is. I was just surprised eminem sold considerably more outside the U.S. 2pac is the biggest selling hip hop artist btw. Although Eminem will probably overtake him. Jigga is about 3rd or 4th afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭col22

i tink they sound all rite together!

Advertisement