Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LiveStrong

Options
  • 23-12-2004 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

dose any one know where you can get the yellow live strong wristbands that dosnt involve the net and credit card details?

Thanx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

Oh i've one of those, but a friend got it on the net for me. Far as I know, think you can still only get them online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

the outback bar in parnell street sell them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Martin1974

ianomccabe wrote:
    the outback bar in parnell street sell them

Is that the Australian restaurant at the Parnell Cinema thing ?
    Do you know how much they are going for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Martin1974

called them, there are none in stock and they are sold for 2 Euros each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Anton17

Footlocker are selling yellow wrist bands with 'respect' written on them.
    Does anyone know if these have anything to do with the lance armstrong cancer research thing. Or are footlocker just cashing in on what's become a bit of a trend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

That would be footlocker cashing in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Anton17

So is there anywhere in dublin selling them?, im not able to get them online.
    I've also seen some footballers e.g Frank Lampard wearing a similar thing in blue. Whats that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I think blue is by the bbc for anti-bullying
    yellow is for cancer research

there's a website about it - google lance armstrong and it should come up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

the website is www.laf.com and u can order a minimum of 10 for $10, but postage to Ireland is double that again. It cost me €16 for them but well worth it. Get a few mates who want them and someone who has a credit card. Expect to wait a month cause there's a huge demand for them and a mega backlog.

As for Footlocker and yellow bands saying respect...defo cashing in. The only official yellow ones are the LiveStrong ones.

The blue wristbands were for an anti-bullying campaign in the UK. They said OneLife. Radio One had 1 million made and they were giving them out free on their website but alas they're all gone (i tried gettin one this wk) and dont think they'll be made again. They're selling on Ebay for £36-40 which is a lot considering they were free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Hey.. Look, here's the difinative guide to people cashing in[But in a good way] to the whole livestrong idea..

• A pink wristband shows you're against breast cancer.
    • A yellow wristband shows you're against all types of cancer.
    • A yellow wristband, in certain hospitals, also means "do no resuscitate." (But if the medical team misinterprets your anti-cancer bracelet, hey, at least you died for a good cause.)
    • A black-and-white wristband shows you're against racism.
    • A white wristband shows you're against poverty in Africa.
    • A white wristband also shows you're against tsunamis. (Special Bandwagon Award for this one!)
    • A camouflage-green wristband shows you support American troops.
    • A marbled red-white-and-blue wristband does the same thing. (Wear them both to show you're twice the patriot your neighbors are!)
    • A teal wristband shows you're against cervical cancer.
    • A green wristband shows you're against brain injuries.
    • A grey wristband shows you're against brain cancer.
    • A lime-green wristband shows you're against muscular dystrophy.
    • A lime-green wristband also shows you're against frivolous lawsuits.
    • A brown wristband shows you're against Irritable Bowel Syndrome. (OK, I made that one up. So sue me, I'm wearing my lime-green wristband.)
    • A light blue wristband shows you're against autism.
    • A light blue wristband also shows you're against genetic defects.
    • A blue wristband shows you support democratic values.
    • A blue wristband also shows you're against bullying (U.K. only.)
    • A blue wristband also shows you support the Bush agenda. (Don't wear these three simultaneously, as they're clearly incompatible and will cause massive confusion.)
    • A blue wristband shows you really like pets. (Combined with the preceding wristband, this will also show your affection for First Dog Barney!)
    • A blue wristband also shows you're against kids getting sick.
    • A blue wristband also shows you're against sports gambling.
    • A blue wristband also shows you're pro-life.
    • An orange wristband shows you're against AIDS.
    • An orange wristband also shows you're against lack of respect. (Netherlands only; wear them both to show you especially respect Dutch AIDS patients. Dank u wel!)
    • An orange wristband also shows you're against lupus.
    • A red wristband shows you're against frivolous lawsuits. (Wear it combined with a lime-green one to show everyone you're doubly pissed off and are not going to take it anymore.)
    • A red wristband shows you're a John Kerry supporter.
    • A red wristband also shows you're against kids smoking cigarettes. (Wear both to show you believe that John Kerry, while a good man, wants to hook your kids on tobacco.)

Not joking.. check it out here..http://nobodysbusiness.typepad.com/nobodys_business/2005/01/a_handy_guide_t.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

sorry the website is www.laf.org

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

stupid fuccking fad-obsessed good person image obsessed morons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

stupid fuccking fad-obsessed good person image obsessed morons

Yes.

90% of People who wear these couldn't care less about the charity and just want to look cool. And loads of companies have bought all the wristbands from the lance armstrong foundation and sell them off to make a profit. Just look at www.livestrongbracelets.net .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

But...they don't look cool...so how would someone wear them to look cool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Rozabeez wrote:
    But...they don't look cool...so how would someone wear them to look cool?

Define "cool".

Are you trying to say that everyone who wears them wears them to show that they support the charity?

They're a contradiction anyway since they're manufactured by Nike, a blatant violator of human rights.

No I'm not trying to say that, I'm saying that not everyone wears them cos theyre the latest fashion, and If I was to wear one it would be to support the charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Rozabeez wrote:
    No I'm not trying to say that, I'm saying that not everyone wears them cos theyre the latest fashion, and If I was to wear one it would be to support the charity.

Most of the people who would wear them in support dont bother. The majority of people wearing them, couldn't give a toss about charity and thats fact. Most people i've asked to whereabouts they got the things say "a friend gave it to me" which of course, is totally missing the point. They are no longer a sign of support, just a D4 fad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Rozabeez wrote:

cant you just give the money to the charity??? I mean wearing the thing isn't actually going to directly help them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

i think the whole idea was that famous people wear them to functions, so regular people will copy them and in doing so support a charity.

Still, it's weird and sheepish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Wearing clothes is also sheepish and frnakly weird and pointless in hot countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭edibility

Dude, would you like to see the old, fat and wrinkled of this world naked?

No but that doesnt make it any less sheepish.

Not doing something because everyone else does it is just as conformist tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭edibility

And helps survival. Even in hot countrys sand, mud, water and so on all over the skin would not be a good thing. *pats Sangre* stop with the stupid, eh?

Yeah, its a good thing we're born with clothes then isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

This is getting completely off topic.
    Isn't it funny the way people USED to be hairy before they started wearing clothes, yeah maybe because they don't need to be hairy because of clothes?
    And also, people can get sunburnt in hot countries.

My friend was wearing a Make Poverty History wrist band and I thought it was quite nice. I would have bought a red childline one (says "Listen" on it), but those things are too big for my wrists, and I have difficulty helping a charity through an overpriced clothes shop.

By hairy do you mean apes?

Hmm, thats funny because I thought that was what tans were for? Better tell those Africans to put on some clothes before they start to peel!

People didn't descend from apes.
    But what people DID descend from were hairy, unless history lies to me.

And people with darker skin can burn, they just have a higher resistance is all. Anything will burn if it's hot enough.

What is shade for?

People didnt get less hairy because of clothes they got less hairy because of climate change.

• Advertisement

I'm not learned in the subject so I can only go with assumptions, I'll not say you're wrong or right because I don't know.
    If you want to go clotheless because the climate is so much better, fair be it for you, but I sure as hell wouldn't, not if I liked the ends of my fingers and toes, which I do. Quite a lot.

Advertisement