Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charges for Exceeding Download Cap

Options
  • 23-12-2004 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

I've gone over my ESATBT cap once before to 8.01 GB and there was no additional charge. This month, however, I've splurged (legally btw) and gone over quite a bit:

[font=verdana, arial] Data uploaded[/font] 1.59 GB [1709774644 bytes] [font=verdana, arial] Data downloaded[/font] 9.12 [font=verdana, arial] GB [9789250893 bytes][/font]
    My upload cap is 1GB (I think) and 8GB downloads.

What sort of charges should I expect?

And to save a reply: I'm already going to change to Irish Broadband.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

Im pretty sure its 8gig / 8gig, no ? I think they say somewhere that its about 3-4 cent per meg

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭JB123

I've gone over my ESATBT cap once before to 8.01 GB and there was no additional charge. This month, however, I've splurged (legally btw) and gone over quite a bit:

[font=verdana, arial] Data uploaded[/font] 1.59 GB [1709774644 bytes] [font=verdana, arial] Data downloaded[/font] 9.12 [font=verdana, arial] GB [9789250893 bytes][/font]
    My upload cap is 1GB (I think) and 8GB downloads.

What sort of charges should I expect?

And to save a reply: I'm already going to change to Irish Broadband.
    Meh im on 22gigs this month.8 Gig cap on eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

JB123 wrote:
    Meh im on 22gigs this month.8 Gig cap on eircom.
    Will you get charged extra for that?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Not sure anyone's been charged in months/more...

I've never been charged that I'm aware of. Last I heard the 3 companies stopped charging after the last major upgrade many months ago by Eircom. They cut off leechers though. So they can check. But they don't bother unless you're doing 26GB on a 8GB cap or something. (so I've been told)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Mine for October for Clicksilver

Call Charges €14.69
    Advance Subscription Charge €29.99
    Advance subscription charge(s) for October 2004
    Your download limit was 8,192.00 MB.
    You downloaded 17,567.54 MB.
    Download Charge €140.63
    Total Charge €185.31

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

That's a spectacular deal you've got there. UTV, bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Blaster99 wrote:
    That's a spectacular deal you've got there. UTV, bring it on.

To be honest, I don't blame UTV - I've agreed to a contract and they warn me by e-mail when I approach my cap...

I wanted to upgrade to the 16gig cap, but I'm moving house soon, and if I change my contract, It'll be a year renewal all over again. This means I'll have to pay out my existing contract before setting up a new one.

Bummer, but it's the rules...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Well, I got the bill today, and they did charge me, as per the rates in the T&C

Off to IBB I go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Tech Pete

Its started... I got charged for over limit usage.
    They're coming down hard coz of massive recent disconnections caused by the cap being ignored... they also threatened me with legal action if i didnt pay..
    oh lets just say its a lot... and ur a fool for posting up here that you broke ur cap. IOL monitor this board... fools..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Tech Pete wrote:
    They're coming down hard coz of massive recent disconnections caused by the cap being ignored... they also threatened me with legal action if i didnt pay..
    oh lets just say its a lot... and ur a fool for posting up here that you broke ur cap. IOL monitor this board... fools..

And they have access to your IP and or email address how exactly?

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

what are ntl like about cap? i know its meant to be 1gb a day but some days i dont use it so other days i go nuts on it and download 2-3 gig.
    seeing as they dont provide a page to tell you howmuch youve downloaded a la esatbt they must have to be a bit more lenient though right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

*pats his uncapped IBB connection*

Thats why i waited for an uncapped connection before i got broadband. Still, tis pretty crap that you weren't given a warning first at least. A kick in the nadgers, thats what that is.

This month was a pretty light month on the old downlaods, and i managed 25 gigs. Ok, a lot of that can be contributed to linux. I've been messing about with Debian, and have totally borked it a few times(i now have a ghost image i can recover to :p) and had to reinstall from the net a few times cos of that. Thats easily 700megs each time (minimum) by the time i get the base system downloaded. And then when i downloa kernel sources and extra programs and crap, it all adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

lomb wrote:
    :o:o:o:o:o:o:o
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Mods, please make a sticky about "exceeding caps"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Tech Pete wrote:
    Are you sure? I've went over my cap by 200 Megs and as far as I can tell I didn't get charged anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Tech Pete wrote:
    and ur a fool for posting up here that you broke ur cap. IOL monitor this board... fools..
    One would hope that EsatBT have access to their own usage and billing data. Though judging by the state of their billing department (last week, not having been a customer of theirs for eleven months I got a bill for €0.00 from them) one can never be too sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Are you sure? I've went over my cap by 200 Megs and as far as I can tell I didn't get charged anything.
    it seems the lower 8Gb cap is being charged but they higher 16GB one is not, at least yet. Which one are you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

could people who are being billed state who their with and what package they're on.
    keep thing clear for the rest of us, loike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

The IOL billing department is a shambles alright, I was billed 85.67 (I have no idea where this figure has come from) for my first two months five months ago, nothing since then.
    it seems the lower 8Gb cap is being charged but they higher 16GB one is not, at least yet. Which one are you on?
    I'm on the regular package with the 8Gb cap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

in france you can get 20 mbit adsl2+ in all large towns for 22E per month with no cap. ireland is getting to be a pure joke with bb

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    in france you can get 20 mbit adsl2+ in all large towns for 22E per month with no cap. ireland is getting to be a pure joke with bb
    Ye well learn to enjoy it because the goverment will never do anything about €ircon mad.gif So it seems as if it's the lower packages which are being charged - it's an attempt to make people move to the higher packages. I wish they would increase the caps frown.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

so the verdict is that they(IOL) are charging for going over the cap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Steve S

Could someone provide some hard(ish) evidence of this? Something like:

I was charged XX.XX euro for going XXXMB over the cap on such and such a date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

on IOL plus i have been over by 4GB on numerous occasions and still no charge :D (blame bittorrent lol)

CyberGhost wrote:
    so the verdict is that they(IOL) are charging for going over the cap
    If you are on the lower package yes.
    Jakkass wrote:
    on IOL plus i have been over by 4GB on numerous occasions and still no charge :D (blame bittorrent lol)
    IOL's cap are 8GB and 16GB they don't have a 4Gb cap last time I checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

Well, I got the bill today, and they did charge me, as per the rates in the T&C

Off to IBB I go!

Hey lad..so did how were u charged.are u given 8gb up and down or 8gb altogether. I ask, cause, atm i got 6.5 gb downloaded and 1 gig uploaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Off topic garbage moved to the cuckoos nest.

Next person I see boasting about how much they've downloaded is getting a ban. Take the hint - WE DON'T CARE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

Moriarty wrote:
    Off topic garbage moved to the cuckoos nest.

Next person I see boasting about how much they've downloaded is getting a ban. Take the hint - WE DON'T CARE.

Are u referring to me with this post, cause lad i ain't bragging. That is a legit question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

No, I was referring to the stuff I split off just before/after you posted. Wasn't talking to you at all, work away :)

Advertisement