Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar Lesson Advice

Options
13»

Comments

i know, but it's worth it in the long run, you can then start giving lessons and make it all back 15 times over!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Aye, I know. Ah, I'll see how these five lessons go and then maybe I'll start doing them every two weeks or once a month or something.

..........And of course your musical abilities will improve immensely!

You'll get to a stage with the teacher where the "lessons" just turn into jamming and you realise that it's not necessary to pay him €20 so you can jam with him and then you just jam with other people. That's what happened with me anyway.

Yeah. Of course, it end turn out that I'm an impossible student (quite likely tbh) and that he will want nothing to do with me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

That jamming thing kind of happened to me with my first teacher, but my current one's great.

• Advertisement

yeah but once you "catch up" a certain distance the teacher won't really have much practical stuff you can do, just give you stuff to practice.

TBH, if I get the basics of theory under my belt, I'll be more than happy. At the moment, I couldn't tell you what notes are where on a guitar :s

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

feylya wrote:
    TBH, if I get the basics of theory under my belt, I'll be more than happy. At the moment, I couldn't tell you what notes are where on a guitar :s

Really?!

hadn't a clue of that myself for the first year!
    its not really that necessary when you're just using open chords.

Giblet wrote:
    Really?!

Seriously. I couldn't tell you the note at the 8th fret on D.

I know the basic construction of the guitar though (open, 12th, 24th all the same note)

• Advertisement

How can you know so much about guitar without knowing guitar?

Most Blues musicians of old didn't know theory. They just played what sounded good.

I know the theory behind guitar construction and repair.

i don't really know theory ither but i get by. How long are you playing guitar? and are these lessons just blues lessons, theory less or basics lessons?

Eh, about 5 years and I haven't a clue what these lessons are. I imagine they'll be a basic course in theory. Maybe some chord construction, playing around chords, learning the neck.

5 years? Must be more than competent! So you really just want to go for theory and chord buildin/understanding?

Meh, I can play some things. Not really the fastest stuff or a lot of good solos but meh.

Yeah, I'd just like to know if I'm playing a certain riff, what notes should I be using if I'm soloing over it. Stuff like that.

Plus I need to get out of this rut that I'm in, just using the same patterns at different positions.

just need to freshen up really? you'l be grand then it's like a refresher course, you've a great base so you'll be fine!

Well, not really. I've no base. Never been to lessons. Never really shown much. Just picked up a guitar one day, got the tabs to Enter Sandman and One and starting playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

i take it you know the notes on the first two strings? (E&A) you damn well better! (damn metal kids) if you do you can use octaves to figure out notes on the other strings pretty quickly. Example :\/......Play a 3 note powerchord on say the 5th fret (A5), so you know the 5th fret on the E string is A well so is the note your holding down on the D string at the 7th fret. You can use the same process for finding out notes on the G string from playing a powerchord with the root on the A string ex: play C5 (3rd fret root on A string) so the note 5th fret on G string is also C. For the B string you just have to learn the notes on it. Im not very good at explaining things but hope u get the idea.

feylya wrote:
    Well, not really. I've no base. Never been to lessons. Never really shown much. Just picked up a guitar one day, got the tabs to Enter Sandman and One and starting playing.

Well you've a great knowledge base in guitar, thats what i meant.

• Advertisement

token wrote:
    i take it you know the notes on the first two strings? (E&A) you damn well better! (damn metal kids) if you do you can use octaves to figure out notes on the other strings pretty quickly. Example :\/......Play a 3 note powerchord on say the 5th fret (A5), so you know the 5th fret on the E string is A well so is the note your holding down on the D string at the 7th fret. You can use the same process for finding out notes on the G string from playing a powerchord with the root on the A string ex: play C5 (3rd fret root on A string) so the note 5th fret on G string is also C. For the B string you just have to learn the notes on it. Im not very good at explaining things but hope u get the idea.

Well, I have the very basic understanding of power chord construction (root, fifth, octave). But no, I don't know the notes along the e and a strings. I can't even remember which notes don't have sharps!!! I know there's two of them anyway. A and E??? I don't know :s

Well you've a great knowledge base in guitar, thats what i meant.

Ah, yeah, that's true enough. I know how to tune strings :p

Need a tuner though to get it perfect...

most do :D !

well one of the first things you need to know theory wise is the names of the notes on the first two strings so you know what powerchords and barrechords you are using. Once u do that you'll know what i was talking about with the octaves to figure out the other notes. Aswell as knowing what chords your playing you'll know where the root notes in scales are so you can start playing the scale from places on the neck other than the root note on the first string.

Yeah. I've just never taken the time to sit down and learn the fecking thing.

The basics of music theory isnt hard im only playing guitar a year (still ****e) i started learning some theory about 2 months ago (fiblet showed me the absolute basics ie notes on the guitar back at the very start before i could play a C chord). Go look at www.ibreathemusic.com and read all the stuff by a guy called Gunharth Randolf and you'll know everything you need to know really. The forums are good aswell their all really hardcore over there.

Cool, cheers for that token.

Have some green apples :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Do you believe I'm teaching Token :>

Advertisement