Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar Lesson Advice

Options
  • 22-12-2004 12:08pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was given 5 guitar lessons with a local Blues player for christmas and I haven't a clue about them. Anyone got any good advice for preparing for lessons? I'll be starting them in the new year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

I dont think you need to prepare for the lessons. He'll probably spend the first lesson just checking you out, testing your skills etc, and then give you "homework" for the next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭goin'_to_the_PS

Looking at your last posts, why would you need lessons

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

There's a difference between knowing guitars and knowing how to play.

I have a decent enough level of skill. Nothing terrific or unique but I can play some stuff. I just think it'd be nice to get my theory up to speed. Plus they were a gift so I'm not complaining :D

True - if i spent as much time playing as reading etc about guitars, i'd have no problem either :D

I've tried teaching myself theory before (got myself Fretboard Logic) but I just can't get my head around it.

I assume you bring your own guitar to these lessons? See, I really have no idea how these things work :eek:

• Advertisement

Well, yeah, unless he's coming to your gaff?

Na. I think it's in his shop. Horrible shop really. Terrible stock :p

Could be worth it....

oh, if you happen to stumble upon any 54 or 62 Strats in his shop, gimme a shout :D

Ha, not a hope. Best guitar he has in there is a Charvel super strat with a Kahler trem that he has clamped down.

He just has Korean made no name strats that I think are made from plywood :s

You never know what these old crappy shops have - might stumble upon a jewel! Ancient Electroharmonix stuff.....dusty old Big Muffs :)

• Advertisement

I wish...

It only opened last Tuesday...

bummer...there's nothin like accidentally discovering vintage goodies. It's like going to a car-boot sale and finding a grandmother clearing her attic - throwing out a priceless vintage strat....mmmm, i'd offer her an ENTIRE 100 yoyos :D

ok, enough daydreaming.

There's a shop up here that does that. Has old tape delay units and stuff like that. Shame they know their stuff too well :(

i was lucky, i found an idiot.
    I traded an ancient acoustic guitar which i got as a present for a 1972 Fender Telecaster Thinline and paid some small change on top of that :D

The deal of a LIFETIME - that's still my main guitar.

Bastard.

Hmm, this guy is gonna have fun trying to break some of my bad playing habits..

:D

I badly need lessons too, coz i've been stuck in a rut for years, but i just never get around to it.
    You'll probably find it very useful, it's good to get a fresh perspective on your playing.

Hopefully so. Maybe he'll be able to force me out of this E Phrygian scale that I've been playing for 2 years.

The friggin phrygian, eh?
    I suffer from minor pentatonic-itis at the moment.
    That's exactly why it'll do you good to get a few hours with that guy.

Minor Pentatonics eh? Not a clue do I have about how to play those :p

Yeah, I assume they're only hour lessons. Should be interesting if nothing else.

yeah, a minor case of minor pentatonics.

I know it was a present, but if you dont mind my asking, how much does he charge per hour? what's the going rate these days anyway?

• Advertisement

It was €100 for 5 lessons. If they're not an hour long, it's a bit expensive but since I didn't pay, I've nothing to complain about.

That's pretty good i think.

Well, let us know how you get on.

Will do. They won't be starting til the New Year though. Have to stroll down and have a chat with him, see what the sceal is.

Hmm, what guitar will I use...

Hmm, what guitar will I use...

Tell you what - take a guitar, stand in front of the mirror, and ask yourself "does my bum look big in this" - sorted! :D:D

I often do...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Tell him exactly what you want to learn or hope to learn.
    When I'm giving lessons this seems to be the hardest thing to extract from the person.

TBH, I haven't a clue what I want to learn :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Think about it, you have time. Your basic technique is, I imagine, ok, so listen to guitarists whose style you like and maybe look for insights into styles you may not be too familiar with. Be realisitic though, if the guy is a blues player it is unlikely he'll be bringing you up to Patitucci level :)

Who? :p

TBH, if I got my scales, modes and chordal work done, I'd be bloody happy. But there's no way I'm gonna get all that sorted in 5 lessons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Oooops my bad.

Petrucci
    jp_ebjpm.jpg

not Patitucci
    John-Patitucci-ac04.jpg

Advertisement