Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I learnt about shooting from that.

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

A nyaaaaaahstopthatyoueejit moment caught on camera...

Biathlon - Crazy Graf points rifle at own face
    933047-15432463-640-480.jpg

The 24-year-old was competing in a biathlon sprint race - which combines cross-country skiing with shooting at targets - at Oberhof when his rifle sight became blocked by snow. As horrified spectators and TV viewers watched on, Graf turned the rifle around and aimed it at his mouth while he tried to blow away the obstruction.

Graf was disqualified from the race, and British Eurosport expert Mike Dixon said the sport's governing body, the IBU, could hand him a lengthy ban.

More text and video from the link above.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Brainfart.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭J.R.

video of what happened

http://tv.eurosport.dk/biathlon/tv-videos_vid258788.shtml

sorry SPARKS - didn't see your link to the video at beginning of your post....just noticed it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Here's an interesting one.

Short version: US cop was going in for an MRI scan, and was carrying his sidearm (he was off-duty at the time). There was a snafu in communication between the MRI tech and the cop and the cop wound up taking the pistol into the MRI chamber (the tech had intended to meet the cop in the MRI waiting room to secure the pistol). The pistol did what metal things are wont to do in MRI chambers, and flew the three feet from the top of the table where the cop had put it down, to the inside of the MRI machine itself (for those who don't know, MRI machines are basically enormous magnets and will happily send very heavy metal objects flying at lethal velocities across rooms - oxygen tanks and the like):

05_ab1167_01.gif

So far, so feck's sakes lad, but here's the interesting bit: the pistol discharged. With the thumb safety on and the hammer still cocked and the grip safety also engaged (and the slide never moved to eject the spent cartridge so the thumb safety was working fine). The magnet actually pulled the firing pin forward inside the pistol with enough force to get past all the internal blocks and set off the primer and fire the round (happily hurting nobody and only damaging the wall behind the MRI machine, though I'm assuming the police officer needed new trousers after watching a machine disarm him, make his gun fly through the air and then firing it despite the safety being on).

Interesting case study with some lessons:
    - Listen closely to your MRI tech :D
    - Don't bring loaded cocked-and-locked pistols into MRI rooms!
    - Don't trust safety catches (and that's the one that I was thinking might actually have some relevance to us here in this country).

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Seeing this reminded me of an experience i had out shotgun shooting a few years ago. I was out with a small group shooting cant remember exactly what we were after but i was standing along a ditch talking and i turned to my left to see i was getting muzzled by a older gentleman sitting along the ditch..... So i told him "You know your muzzle is pointed right at me right?" (It was a semi auto with the bolt closed) To which he replies "Its alright the safetys on" :eek::eek: I couldnt believe it i assume this fella had been shooting for 20 or 30 years. A few very unelegant words and describing where the muzzle would go next if he didnt cop on got him to point it away and take the cartridge out of the chamber.
    The sad thing is he probably just brushed me off as a young fella who knows nothing and was awful contrary, and he probably went right back to being a eijit because how dare a young fella tell someone whos been shooting for years about safety:rolleyes:.
    Its the reason i bought a .22 not a shotgun because i prefer to shoot by myself because you cant trust anyone but yourself.:(
    And its why i think the most dangerous person is someone whos been doing the wrong thing for years because they will never change at least if ya give out to a young fella they usually listen and learn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jb88

There was an open clay shoot one day and one of my clubmates was the range officer.
    He saw a lad step out of a Jeep, semi auto shotgun in hand, no case and waving it to one side before he proceeded to step over a fence.
    My clubmate shouted at the top of his voice, "YOU STOP", walked up and politely asked him, was his firearm loaded?
    The man replied no. My clubmate replied ok can you keep the firearm pointed up and open the firearm.
    A round ejected out, my clubmate replied ok keep ejecting, a number of rounds later ... my clubmate could see that the gun was empty and now safe picked up his rounds for him and said, see you next time as he pointed to the mans Jeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,273 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Not sure if this is the right thread for this but near the end of the clip, check out the cop shooting through the windscreen of his car at the vehicle in front while driving down a street. Once again, while driving down a street, not in a desert with nobody around. In a fcuking street. :eek:

Not sure how to embed it. Maybe the Mods can help.

https://youtu.be/IO6OTe3CGes

The shooting is at 3.20 on the clip so fast forward to then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

just on safety glasses, was refereeing at a clay shoot, sporting, and as i was noting a score a 25mm size piece of clay hit my glasses and lodged between them and my cheek.
    Keep those glasses on at all times on range people......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,955 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Must be saying "What?"rather loudly these days after firing off those amount of rounds in the squad car.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
Advertisement