Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I learnt about shooting from that.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,951 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

dCorbus wrote: »
    If this thread is still about safety and "dumb-ass" mistakes:

Don't try loading 6.5 rounds into a .308!

Had a .308 at a shoot recently - had two sets of ammo - was handed the 6.5 box and loaded one in.

Oddly enough - and thankfully - the bolt would not close!

At least, it wasn't the other way round!

A totally stupid, and potentially highly dangerous, newbie mistake on my part - always check your ammo YOURSELF, and then double check again!

Somwhat on this line.Make SURE your 20 GA and 12 Ga ammo doesnt get mixed!!Dropping a 20 GA down a 12 GA and then firing is a sure recipie for a very bad day!!!Most ammo makers are now making their 20 GA in bright yellow,or other high viz colours to prevent this happening.But it still could happen,and especially if you have old ammo. Found an old Eley Kynoch 20 Ga shell ,and if you werent paying attention you could easily mistake it for 12 GA,as they are both that old bright Orange/Red colour Eley used to make all its shells in.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Somwhat on this line.Make SURE your 20 GA and 12 Ga ammo doesnt get mixed!!Dropping a 20 GA down a 12 GA and then firing is a sure recipie for a very bad day!!!Most ammo makers are now making their 20 GA in bright yellow,or other high viz colours to prevent this happening.But it still could happen,and especially if you have old ammo. Found an old Eley Kynoch 20 Ga shell ,and if you werent paying attention you could easily mistake it for 12 GA,as they are both that old bright Orange/Red colour Eley used to make all its shells in.

I saw a lad load a 5.6x52 into a .220 swift before.

Years ago I had a FMJ in hunting ammo, Not good.

or letting different grain ammo mix as POI changes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭jimbrowning

Vegeta wrote: »
    Yeah i have to agree with civdef, for example i just learned about the 20-12 gauge incident and hopefully will be wiser because of this. I don't own a 20 gauge but if I am ever shooting with a person with a 20 gauge i will tripple check my ammo when loading
    as far as i kno, all 20 bore shells are yellow and no other size shell is yellow for this reason. think thats the way it works in uk anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Irish Springer

na doesn't work like that here, plenty of 12 gauge shells are yellow RC 3 being one that comes to mind. Just double check the size to be sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tinski07

Not sure if I'm posting in the right place now or not but I just read through the whole
    15 pages because its great info and a very good idea.
    I first had a gun when I was 16 and despite being thought strictly what not to do, I think now I was a bit young to have been left at it.
    Only things I have to add is never touch a trigger unless you have what you want to kill in your sight, I once fired into the air while walking with the gun at my shoulder and the action near my ear after failing to engage the safety after reloading minutes earlier. Luckily I was on my own and the gun was in a reasonably safe position albeit one which I no longer use. I don't even like spring caps now as they seem to go against the grain. There is no need to ever put a finger inside the trigger guard unless you its time to fire.

• Advertisement

I'd been busy all day doing some work that I'd been dodging all Christmas.

So I decided since I had the drinks and Grub in from earlier yesterday; That I'd go and do a bit of lamping.

I went out to a few spots relatively local to me and shone the lamp. I discovered the following.
    1. The batteries were almost knackered, (I suppose I had used it extensively for 4 weeks, and they were not duracell batteries)
    2.I chamberd a round (or at least tried to), the bolt was stiff (not that unuasual with a full mag.

So, I said I'd clear the action when the bolt was sticking.
    Bolt came back, but no round came with it, I paused........
    WTF?
    I chambered a round,Didn't I??
    So I carried out safety, emptied the tube by dropping the floor plate.
    I got my Pocket P4 LED LENSER and inspected teh chamber, round inside.

WEDGED inside.
    I said that's weird?
    I said I'd CLear the action if possible by firing off the round;not an ideal situation but into the hill behind me.
    At least then I could try and retrieve the empty casing.
    I worked the bolt forward, she would not go forward.
    I asid, FCUK, out came my P4 LED LEnser again, and a more careful inspection.
    I noticed the smallest amount of a cloth type material at teh base of the round.

Then i thought........
    I had given the barrel a good scrubbing before I left the house.
    I had used the Parker Hale rod, Hoppes Benchrest and the Jag.
    I only had my .223 flannel as all my .308 cloth was used up.

I got the rod and did what seemed so wrong, but the only way forward.
    I had to put the rod in muzzle end first, I know never from the Muzzle......

Anyhow, I got the round out! Phewwww

Moral of the story

GET MOLY ROUNDS AND YOU NEVER HAVE TO CLEAN ;)
    And Always keep spare batteries on your person :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

IGET MOLY ROUNDS AND YOU NEVER HAVE TO CLEAN ;)
    And Always keep spare batteries on your person
    :o

Inspect the breach and chamber after cleaning.;)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

ezridax wrote: »
    Inspect the breach and chamber after cleaning.;)

I actually had, With a P4 Led Lenser. I was even trying to get a photo of the rifling before and after.

I'm not sure who the piece got there exactly.

Never happened before.
    And I'll get the propper size cleaning flannelette for the .308 ;)
    No more using .223 cloth :o

MarkD. wrote: »
    ................ when he used the bolt the round used or not never extracted........................, it was down to the spring system in the mag wasnt working. It wasnt forcing the used cartridge out and push the next one up.

A little confused here. It won't extract the round from the breach (live or fired) or the magazine spring is faulty?
    I actually had, With a P4 Led Lenser.

Did ya turn it on? :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Merging with the safety thread...

• Advertisement

ezridax wrote: »
    A little confused here. It won't extract the round from the breach (live or fired) or the magazine spring is faulty?

Did ya turn it on? :D
    attachment.php?attachmentid=142556&d=1294574197
    On a remington there is a hidie hole for something to be missed when cleaning.
    I've Ordered a leatherman MUT with a bronze scraper which will help remove the brass build up.

Point's to note are, A good Torch is required to clean a firearm thoroughly, and a mirror or magnifying glass to see into those hard to reach places.

It's only when you shine a brilliant white light on something that you actually see how clean something is:eek:

It's only when you shine a brilliant white light on something that you actually see how clean something is:eek:

Thats why i recently invested in a bore scope. Excellent piece of gear and you miss nothing with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2011/0114/1224287489099.html
    Injured fox shoots hunter in leg in Belarus

MOSCOW – A wounded fox shot its would be killer in Belarus by pulling the trigger on the hunter’s gun as the pair scuffled after the man tried to finish the animal off with the butt of the rifle, media said yesterday.

The unnamed hunter, who had approached the fox after wounding it from a distance, was in hospital with a leg wound, while the fox made its escape, media said, citing prosecutors from the Grodno region.

“The animal fiercely resisted and in the struggle accidentally pulled the trigger with its paw,” one prosecutor was quoted as saying.

Fox-hunting is popular in the picturesque farming region of northwestern Belarus, which borders Poland. – (Reuters)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnnymolloy

was out yesterday hunting and seen a few rabbits and so on after a while we got bored so we put up a board and shot that. my brother asked for a go of the gun so let him and when he fired it let of this huge bang and i looked at the brother and he was holding his ear and i looked at the gun and seen smoke comin out of it so i quickly went over checked the brother and then checked the gun and noticed the extractor was completley bent outta shape so much i couldnt cycle the bolt and when we seen the cartridge the rim of the rimfire cartridge had blown out the side when we got home we eventually got the bolt out and the cartridge and checked the barrel for a bullet to see if was backpressure that caused it but their was nothing anyone any ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

calibre, type of rifle, type of ammo?

First thought would be backpressure - if there was no bulging in the barrel and no damage to the rifling though, it might not have been - could have been dodgy ammo or something else. Was there a round before the accident that sounded funny or didn't hit the board?

(And obviously, have it checked and repaired by a proper gunsmith before you ever use it again - would hardly need to be said, you'd imagine, but just in case someone else reading this wouldn't think of it...)

sorry my bad knew i forgot something

marlin 25mn
    .22 magnum
    40gr cci maxi mags hp

.......... i looked at the gun and seen smoke comin out of it

Smoke coming out of where? Breach/chamber, muzzle?
    ............ noticed the extractor was completley bent outta shape so much i couldnt cycle the bolt

Was the bolt closed or open? Did you or the brother open the bolt after he fired it or did it open itself?
    ............... the cartridge the rim of the rimfire cartridge had blown out the side when we got home we eventually got the bolt out and the cartridge and checked the barrel for a bullet to see if was backpressure that caused it but their was nothing anyone any ideas

As Sparks asked did you have a "misfire" or non fire prior? Did you hear a crack, but not the usual bang of the gun in the shot before that one?

The more details the better our understanding of exactly what happened.

spraks their doesnt seem to be any bulging in the barrel or any damage
    and their last bullet shot before it happened sounded fine and hit the board

Hm. Can you see any damage to the barrel? (Shine a torch into the chamber and look down the barrel to check).

(And yes, it does sound very odd to tell someone to look down the barrel of a rifle :D )

• Advertisement

the smoke was comin out of the breach/chamber

the bolt was closed when it was fired and was closed when i went over the handle may have moved a little but not enought to let the chamber open

the smoke was comin out of the breach/chamber

the bolt was closed when it was fired and was closed when i went over the handle may have moved a little but not enought to let the chamber open

sorry ment to say the handle may have moved due to wat happened the handle never moves when i shoot with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

is it possoble you had a "dry fire" kind of senario where you can test fire your gun by leaving the bolt half down..then when you pull the trigger the bolt drops all the way down.....
    either that you had a faulty round maybe? first one blocked, second one cleared both out..rim fires would hardly have the power to blow out the barrel

It sounds like the round fired could have been overcharged. This can happen at the manufacturing plant. A round could have been given two loads of powder or even more than was originally intended for the round. When fired it exceeds the tolerances of the spec for the rifle/caliber. In this case not enough to throw the bolt back, but enough to damage the extrators and shell as the pressure from the shot has to go somewhere.

Check the brass if you still have it. Check the indentation made by the firing pin. See if there is a crater type ring around the indentation. This is one sign of prssure and over loading in a round. The case being blown out is a sure sign of overloading, among other issues.

I would first and foremost get the rifle to a gunsmith and have it professionally checked for signs of pressure damage. The next thing is to stop using the ammo the round is related to. In other words do not use anymore from the same batch/box.

Once you have all that done, checked and sorted buy another brand of ammo and check that it fires okay. Set up any target at 30/40 or 50 yds. The distance is not important only that you can see the bullet holes and keep detailed records of how many shots and how many holes in the target. Check the brass as it comes out. Check for pressure signs on the brass as described above.

Most of all have hearing and eye protection on at all times. Take no chances. Guns cn be replaced, hands, eyes, etc cannot.

ye its possible but to be honest im not sure im only shooting about 6 months or so

It would seem to be overloading. All i will say is be careful with the rest of the box/batch of bullets. There are four possibilities:
    1. The rest of the ammo is fine. You'll have no more problems.
    2. The overloaded round have taken the charge of the next round on the line and one of them could actually be empty. As in no powder. Its rare, but then so is overloading/charging.
    3. It was not a once off and the others could be over loaded.
    4. None of the above and the problem wasn't actually overcharged load.

Hence the reason i would really encourage you to seek a professionals help. no disrespect, but not your dealer a professional gunsmith that has the tools and expertise to check the rifle and bore scope it.

none taken ezridax i will definately have it checked out by a gunsmith before i use it again

Also, take note of the ammunition make, type and batch number. When Ezri said it was rare, he was understating things - it's so unusual that you should report it to the manufacturer so they can track it. If it's happening enough, they may even have to issue a recall.

• Advertisement

well ill put it up here so if it happens to someone else we can check if their the same batch

brand:cci
    type:maxi mag hp
    caliber:22 magnum
    batch number:E13004

Advertisement