Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What BOOKS made you cry?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

The last book of Philip Pullmans 'His Dark Materials' Trilogy had me in bits!

And I'm normally a cold hearted b***h :p

I read the 5 people you meet in heaven over Xmas as well and I was teary eyed for bits of it too,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

I felt like such an eejit, cuz I don't cry that much because of books, but Mitch Albom's Tuesday's with Morrie was really touching.....sad just thinking about it! I've also read The Five People you meet in Heaven, but I have to say, it was nowhere near as emotion-inspiring as Tuesday's With Morrie........god that's a brilliant book

Also Animal Farm was pretty sad when the horse gets taken away.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 rorygbluz

five people is sweet

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

The end of Anne of Green Gables made me cry. They shouldn't let people die in books children read! Also agree that the last book in His Dark Materials triology is a tear jerker.

I was more angry than sad that Book 10 of Wheel of time was not the end! Why? Why oh why did I start reading it????

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

When I was 13 "Summer Of My German Soldier" made me cry.

Nothing since.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PennyLane

flyz wrote:
    The last book of Philip Pullmans 'His Dark Materials' Trilogy had me in bits!

And I'm normally a cold hearted b***h :p

I read the 5 people you meet in heaven over Xmas as well and I was teary eyed for bits of it too,

Yeah, I got a bit misty at that. The first book I ever cried over, tho, was Bridge to Terabithia (spelled something like that). It's for youth-types, but it's really heavy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭keano442

Lydia Chukovskaya's Sofia Petrovna - about the Great Purges in Soviet Russia.
    Pretty heavy subject matter but the book brings the full meaning of it all home brilliantly to someone who might know little about it, like I was.
    I'm not much of a crier at books but find myself occasionally swept off my feet by films - not the tearjerker type, but the true to life ones - I bawled at Paul Greengrass's "Bloody Sunday" a year or two back and also found it hard to keep away the tears during Roman Polanski's "The Pianist" about the Warsaw Ghetto during WWII.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Books made from freshly chopped onions........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭40crush41

I think Ive cried with most books Ive read. heh, now whose the softie?
    awe, but theres nothing better than curling up with a good book and getting really into it -yelling at the characters and all that, always fun =)

Letsee, off the top of me head...
    back from when i was a kid: Bridge to Terabithia (that is a killer!), Where the Red Fern Grows, A Girl Named Disaster, Which Way Freedom...
    more recently: Jane Eyre, Cry the Beloved Country, A Raisin in the Sun, Angela's Ashes, Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations, The Narrative of the Life of Fredrick Douglass, The Stranger, Frankenstein...
    darn -i even choked up reading those harry potter books *shakes head* but that last one, come on now, that was rough!

and yea, i really want to read Tuesdays with Morrie -my friend loves that book, shame i still havn't picked it up.

yuppers~Beth

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

my boy by philomena lynott

when reading the end when she is talking about finding about the drugs and then talking about going to the hospital to see him etc etc

hard for anyone, esp a lizzy fan to read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 scotsmurf

His Dark Materials, each time I've read it has had me crying buckets in 2 or 3 different places, when Will meets Grumman, when Will and Lyra agree on their future, and when Lee and Hester.....................sorry, I don't want to give away the story.And one of those times was during lunch at work, tears pouring down my face and everyone else wondering what was going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Skip

Catcher in the Rye, when I was 19.

Last one: Jeannette Winterson's Written on the Body

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Catcher in the Rye? Admittedly it wasn't a very happy book, but I didn't get the sense of it being very sad..then again I read it when I was 14, so I might have overlooked something..
    Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood was a very depressing, yet emotional book for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

The end of the farseer trilogy 'Assassins Quest' by Robin Hobb was very depressing, I kept asking myself how Robin hobb could do that to poor Fitz ?!?! :confused:

thankfully the Tawny man series comes along.......... :)
    good thread. I'm reading Wuthering Heights atm so thanks for the SPOILER !!!! :mad: :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Catcher in the rye was a pointless rant. Cat's Eye was similarly pointless with the added nausea of having to drudge through the self-centered neuroses of this tedious woman's semi-biography.

If you want a really good book, one that sweeps you away to the point that you are no longer reading but experiencing, try Tai-Pan by James Clavell.. It's not a sad book by any standards, but it's so engrossing that consistantly rock-solid moi may have shed a tear or so during a sad part.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The Lord of the Rings, esp the last bit, made me cry.

The Hitchhikers' guide to the galaxy. I laughed til I cried.

Edith Stein's Philosophy and Psychology of the Humanities.

Anything by Aquinas...
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 the_count

100 Years of Solitude.

In fact, most Gabriel Garcia Marquez's books make me cry...

Well, a little. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭TattyTeddy

vibe666 wrote:
    just read one last week called 'the 5 people you meet in heaven' by mitch albom (of tuesdays with morrie fame).

it won't change your life, but it might help you to understand it a bit better.

only a little book too, so you should be through it in a day or two, but it's excellent. i was finishing it on the bus home one day and i had to stop reading it cos i was going to burst into tears (soft git that i am).

gave it to my girlfriend and she was crying on and off for most of the book, so i don't feel so bad now anyway. but it's an excellent read. very emotional.

and the end of TTT got me going as well. but he can't be dead! had ot start ROTK straight away to find out what happened, and couldn't see the pages for all the tears. FRODO! (again, soppy git).

SO so true! I read it when I was just home from hosp, brillliant birlliant book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

Most books I read make me cry, in fact, unless a book has made me shed at least one tear, it hasn't had an impact on me(I'm jsut a very sensitive person, you see).

The book that has made me cry most was The Perks of Being a Wallflower, by Stephen Chbosky. Its a short book, and I've read it far too many times because it puts things back in perspective. All it is is the diary of a teenage boy, and everyone I know who has read it can relate themselves to the protaganist in some way. It wasn't any particular event in the book that made me cry, just the entire, happily-melancholy atmosphere.

But yes, everything I read makes me cry. Unless it is something humourous like Pratchett. Or unless it sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Sysiphus

Only two books that I can recall but both are classics,

Strumpet City by James Plunckett
    Grapes Of Wrath by John Stienbeck,

Both masterpieces of social observation and oppression by the higher orders of society. But both written to make you see both side of the equation and ralise that there can be no real social equity. Which is the sadest thought of all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Frankie Smith

jane eyre
    little women
    the amber spyglass i welled up but didnt cry as such

i hate tuesdays with morrie so overdone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Embarressingly HP The Order of the Phoenix, when Sirius died I couldn't believe it I kept reading hoping he was still alive knowing he wasn't and I just started crying, I've never cried over any other book, maybe I was just emotional that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

*Angel* wrote:
    Embarressingly HP The Order of the Phoenix, when Sirius died I couldn't believe it I kept reading hoping he was still alive knowing he wasn't and I just started crying, I've never cried over any other book, maybe I was just emotional that day.

dear oh dear, i felt the whole somebody dies was a shamefaced publicity stunt, but it worked, i was really just very relieved when it was sirius and not a character i liked more, such as mr. weasley or sombody.

Nearly every character had some sort of scare where you thought "OMG this is it", i felt manipulated by rowling.

Besides Sirius will be back, this book or next. Otherwise why bother with the disappear behind the curtain "death", he could have bought an Abra-Kadaver or whatever the death spell is...

The last Pullman book was worse, a real tear jerker, if you weren't a real man like me that is. (real man reading kids books? sherrup)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 haircut100

The five people you meet in Heaven-Mitch Albom
    I was in bits reading this on the train.

The Grapes of Wrath-John Steinbeck :(

Damned emotions!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i don't cry reading books, I'm hard. but I came awfully close for the end of philip pullmans "his dark materials" trilogy, and flowers for algernon. Great books.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Cried at the end of 100 Years of Solitude - not that it was particularily sad or sentimental - the book just blew me away - I don't think I knew how to feel. Like being a baby and having totally new experience - kind of raw emotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Outlander - the Jamie (aaach) & Claire Saga written by Diana Gabaldon
    best book ever :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

jane eyre
    little women
    the amber spyglass i welled up but didnt cry as such

Alrrright, Jane Eyre is splendid so uneven, so plain and still so beautiful
    (there are good lyrics of the musical version 2)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I agree with two of the books that have been posted up here already - namely 'The Amber Spyglass' (it was the ending that got me) and 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' (some bits just reminded me so much of myself or people I know, it was freaky)
    Two other books that spring instantly to mind are 'The Lovely Bones' by Alice Sebold - it's a wonderful book, I'd recommend it to anyone, it was the scenes where Susie's family were breaking down afer her murder that got me, especially the scene where her father wraps himself up in her bedsheets and cries - the other one was 'Les Miserables' by Victor Hugo, some of the characters really went through so much, especially Jean Valjean. I was crying in the last few pages of that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

The Silmarilion - tears of frustration. I read 50 pages and hadn't a clue what was going on.

Advertisement