Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What BOOKS made you cry?

Options
  • 19-12-2004 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭

I thought it would be interesting to see what books made people cry. Personally, I only read a book once every million years, and the only book (that I can remember) that made me come close to tears (a couple of years ago) was Return Of The King.

Anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

84 Charing Cross Road - very moving book. The film adaptation also had me shedding buckets!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

just read one last week called 'the 5 people you meet in heaven' by mitch albom (of tuesdays with morrie fame).

it won't change your life, but it might help you to understand it a bit better.

only a little book too, so you should be through it in a day or two, but it's excellent. i was finishing it on the bus home one day and i had to stop reading it cos i was going to burst into tears (soft git that i am).

gave it to my girlfriend and she was crying on and off for most of the book, so i don't feel so bad now anyway. but it's an excellent read. very emotional.

and the end of TTT got me going as well. but he can't be dead! had ot start ROTK straight away to find out what happened, and couldn't see the pages for all the tears. FRODO! (again, soppy git).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I cried during the last Dark Tower book by Stephen King. He wouldn't be the most emotive writers but the characters in that series have been a part of my life for about 7 years now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Came close reading "East of Eden" by Steinbeck, like Vibe, i was on a bus at the time, and had to stop for a bit. Big boys don't cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭elvenscout742

I'm not much of a crier, but I've always found that when I get really attached to the characters in a novel it is rather depressing when the story ends.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Heller's Closing Time - didn't so much cry - more ambition to get killed in airline crash when I'm 65 tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Cecelia Ahern's "Ps I love you"
    my sister had it so I said I'd read it to see what it was like.. oh my God it is such a tearjerker! I started reading it on the bus to Limerick one day.. was sitting behind the bus driver (he could see me in the mirror..) and had to put it down cos I couldn't stop myself welling up. It's the only book I've ever read that did this to me!!
    so for that it's a great read.. other than that not sure if it is my kind of book.. don't usually go for the soppy girly stuff.. now I know why.. I'm a softie!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

The Return of the King is I think the only book I've cried over. I had to read the ending more than once to make sure it was, THE END.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

John2 wrote:
    I cried during the last Dark Tower book by Stephen King. He wouldn't be the most emotive writers but the characters in that series have been a part of my life for about 7 years now

Me too. I think I may have cried reading Stephen King's "IT" also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

with me it was the Original Lord of the Rings Hard back, I was 12 and it fell on my foot, and broke a toe, really cried then, darn those 1000 odd pages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I had to get some programming book, when I was in first year in college. It cost 90 punts. But the tears only started to flow when I realised that everybody in the class had gotten the book from the library.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

£90 for a programming book!! :eek: , oh my God we felt ripped off if we had to pay £40.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Wuthering Heights when (forget his name), Heathcliffs nephew ? who he has horribly mistreated all his life is the only one in tears at his funeral.

Some of Raymond Feists stuff as well. The way he has characters in for a few books and then kills them off (I hope you are paying attention Robert Jordan !).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Well I was a young and naive tulip back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I almost cried near the end of "Firesong" (last book of the Wind on Fire trilogy by William Nicholson), but I'm not entirely sure why, it wasn't the most brilliant book, and I'm usually an apathetic blob. Otherwise, nothing I can recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 bcKay

Rilla of Ingleside...the 8th book in the Anne of Green Gables series...had me bawling as a kid and again when I reread it as an adult.
    *sniff*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 LouisWu

Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, Book 10) - when I realised he han'nt finished the *&$%£ thing!!!!

Louis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Hooky

I Know this is going to create a lot of arguing but here it goes.
    The book that made me cry and also helped me to get my life back on track was the BIBLE,thats rite the BIBLE, how could one man suffer so much for somebody else.When Jesus was nailed to a cross and his family were there at the foot of it.It made me think and brought tears to my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

The bible made me cry too....my younger brother threw it at me when we were really young and it hit me in the fore head :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

I planned on finishing the Dark tower over christmas but just haven't had a chance, now the chaacters are dropping like flies and I am afraid of what is going to happen that made you guys cry over it.
    Please god let it not be roland. Seriously, i might not be able to finish it if iy gets any worse :(.

Little Women is always good for a few tears.
    Cork Girl: Ps, I love you had me roaring too..
    East of Eden, Cane river, Wild Swans I have an endless list really, thats why its scary to think that a stephen king book is presently making me blub as its kings books i go to between tear jerkers, i you get my drift.

• Advertisement

gogo, finish the dark tower, that's all I'll say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 funkyniff

i always cry to a good sad book...
    ps i love you was sad.
    also a book called never look back by lesely pierce.
    but there are so many....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

The Troublesome Offspring of Cardinal Guzman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Miles

Born Free : A Lioness of Two Worlds by Joy Adamson.

Niagra falls midway through.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

The green mile was one that made me blub several times throughout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

John2 wrote:
    gogo, finish the dark tower, that's all I'll say

I finished it last night :(
    I really have considered starting it again, i have been reading it so long that I fell like a traitor picking up a different book.
    Woe is me.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman. Don't know if I actually shed a tear, but it moved me more than I thought a book could. Looking forward to reading the sequel, Knife Edge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

i never cried over a book til i finished eleanor rigby by douglas coupland yesterday.

gogo wrote:
    I finished it last night :(
    I really have considered starting it again, i have been reading it so long that I fell like a traitor picking up a different book.
    Woe is me.

When I finished it I couldn't start again as I had lent the first four books to a friend. He's still reading book one after about 6 months. Curse him!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

Girlfriend in a coma by Douglas Coupland did it for me and I'm supposed to be a big strong man...

Advertisement