Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail getting worse

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I realise that capacity at Connolly, plus only having one track in each direction, is a major problem affecting capacity. My gripe is that their timetables aren't geared towards commuters. To have a 45 minute gap between trains at rush hour on the western line just makes no sense. And then when the train actually arrives (invariably late) it is so crowded and unsuited to having a lot of standing passengers that using it is a seriously unpleasant experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

AKAIK there are extra western suburban services planned for next year when the midland line and spur to P8 at Connolly is re-laid. This will allow them to use P8 without interupting DART or northern suburban movements, but the trains will start from Connolly and can't stop at Drumcondra.

Cheers John, that's good to know. I wasn't actually aware that there's a platform 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

You lot are being very bitchy to both eth0_ and is_that_so...

They have a perfectly legitimate complaint pertaining to the peak time commuter services that head north from Connolly to Drogheda and Dundalk. They are not saying they want some sort of miracle solution to their problems, they are just explaining what they think would possibly appease the situation. Having used that service on many occassions I can empathise with their problems and certainly agree that a slight re-jig of the timetable and possibly stops could solve alot of heartache for little or nothing..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

zaph wrote:
    Cheers John, that's good to know. I wasn't actually aware that there's a platform 8.

:o ...Oops, that should have said Platform 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That is what the interconnector/ Dublin rail plan is all about - relieving the congestion at Connolly enabling the Dart to run to Drogheda, the airport, Maynooth, Kildare and Greystones at high frequencies.

Have you any links or exact info on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭daymobrew

is_that_so wrote:
    Have you any links or exact info on this?

http://www.platform11.org

daymobrew wrote:

"Can't find server error" :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

is_that_so wrote:
    "Can't find server error" :(

Its working here. Try www.extendthedart.com aswell.

EDIT: here's a map. Ignore the luas bits to see the proposed heavy rail / DART network.

2005_p11railplan.jpg

Its working here. Try www.extendthedart.com aswell.

Now that warms the cockles. I am gobsmacked that there is any genuine official attempt to embrace the idea of transport integration. Thought it wasn't in our nature. Hopefully it turns out to be a bit more than Bertiespeak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

the new 11:20pn service to Drogheda is very welcome :D
    http://breaking.tcm.ie/2004/12/12/story180022.html

(the map above looks pretty extensive but the Metro could well go ahead)

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

is_that_so wrote:
    Enterprise I suggest u try it for a month or two. I have been doing it for 4 years on and off. :eek: Part of the frustration is having to switch to another train that will follow later on the SAME line. It's not as if you're going in a different direction. But I get to read a lot. :)

So - that point is irrevelant. It happens in practially every other city in the world. Say I was travelling in London from North Ealing on the Piccadilly line to Stamford Brook on the District line. Piccadilly trains pass Stamford Brook but don't stop there - I would have to change on to a District line train at Acton Town. Therefore you are getting a later train on the same line.

I have looked at the timetable. If you got the 0718 ex Drogheda to Malahide, change on to the following DART service you would be in Clontarf road by 0828, depending on how long it takes to walk to your office you would be there at 08.45ish.

zaph wrote:
    I sometimes wonder if the powers that be in Irish Rail have ever actually travelled on a train..

You may be suprised but they actually do! :D

[/QUOTE] The situation in the evenings is even worse. The 4.45 train to Maynooth has its first stop in Coolmine and is a busy train with a lot of people getting off at Coolmine. They have brought the time of this train forward to 4.30, which is probably that little bit too early for most people in the IFSC (judging by the number of people I see running for the train at 4.45).[/QUOTE]

A quote from http://breaking.tcm.ie/2004/12/12/story180022.html

There will also be shortened journey times on the Rosslare and Waterford lines as well as additional evening trains in both directions between Carlow and Dublin.

Thats why the 16.45 is now 16.30 as it comes from Rosslare.

[/QUOTE]The next train is at 5.15, and it's full enough as it is without adding to it all the people who would normally get the 4.45 but can't leave work early enough for the new 4.30 train.[/QUOTE]

The 17.15 Connolly - Longford has been strenghted from 6 cars to 8 cars and has had seats on it leaving Connolly I have been told on a number of occasions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

enterprise wrote:
    The 17.15 Connolly - Longford has been strenghted from 6 cars to 8 cars and has had seats on it leaving Connolly I have been told on a number of occasions.

I know a fair few people who avoid this train and time their work for the 6pm Sligo train. Reasons are a hatred of Arrows, the fact that it stops everywhere and the extra half hour you're on it.

Occidental wrote:
    I know a fair few people who avoid this train and time their work for the 6pm Sligo train. Reasons are a hatred of Arrows, the fact that it stops everywhere and the extra half hour you're on it.

If your going to Mullingar or beyond to Longford yes I can underdstand that. It makes for a long working day however.

Originally posted by enterprise

I got this train this evening and it was worse than I've ever see it. There certainly were no seats on it when I got on, and judging by the rather cramped standing space I had there seemed to be a lot more people standing than any other time I've been on that train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭dabhal

I use hueston Daily and I can say that since the new platforms opened up the service has improved in terms of being on time/space, my biggest problem now is the staff/practices of IE.
    They do some really annnoying things, checking tickets at the gate, then 2 minutes out of hueston another guy is nudgeing you to check your ticket.
    When there is a problem there is still no announcement or some....idiot is the best word I can think for these guys come over the intercom and all you hear is mmmmmmIE would like to errrr apoligisemmmmm train is approx 30mins late this is because the train is errmmmm late.

One of my favourites, stopped in the curragh for over half an hour, no announcement, an IE worker came through, I stopped him and asked what was happening, he grumbled that another train had broken down in front of us like I was really putting him out, and then said.....wait for it..."when I know so will you", he did know and now so did I...moron.

And am I the only one who thinks the prices are outrageous?

enterprise wrote:
    So - that point is irrevelant. It happens in practially every other city in the world. Say I was travelling in London from North Ealing on the Piccadilly line to Stamford Brook on the District line. Piccadilly trains pass Stamford Brook but don't stop there - I would have to change on to a District line train at Acton Town. Therefore you are getting a later train on the same line.
    Ah yes but the Underground has the distinct advantage of being an integrated system that works.
    enterprise wrote:
    I have looked at the timetable. If you got the 0718 ex Drogheda to Malahide, change on to the following DART service you would be in Clontarf road by 0828, depending on how long it takes to walk to your office you would be there at 08.45ish.

On the timetable I would make a small comment. Assume that I leave the office at 5.30, allowing 20 minutes to the station , I think it will be quite clear what the problem is. From now it will take me two hours to get home.

This returns me to my original post. My problem is not just having to change lines. It is the amount of time wasted on and in the pursuit of trains. Many of the issues that exist on that line have been highlighted in this thread.
    I agree with and support public transport but not as it is ,consequently I end up driving up to three days a week. However I am delighted to see that there may an alternative in the interconnector solution and will follow that with interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

IE has so little confidence in its own timekeeping that when you key in for a connection, it gives you the train AFTER the one you can really get if the service is on time.

Metrobest wrote:
    IE has so little confidence in its own timekeeping that when you key in for a connection, it gives you the train AFTER the one you can really get if the service is on time.

Not true, Say if I was travelling Heuston to Killarney per the 10.55 Heuston - Cork to Mallow and changed onto the 13.00 Cork - Tralee. Therefore going by your quote the journey planner would instead show, which it doesen't, the 15.05 Cork - Tralee which gets me to Killarney two hours later than I actually can.

I suspect the reason it quoted me the DART ex Malahide is that the connection time at Howth Jct is tight for the DART ex Howth. For interchange stations there is a minimum connection time.

• Advertisement

enterprise wrote:
    Not true, Say if I was travelling Heuston to Killarney per the 10.55 Heuston - Cork to Mallow and changed onto the 13.00 Cork - Tralee. Therefore going by your quote the journey planner would instead show, which it doesen't, the 15.05 Cork - Tralee which gets me to Killarney two hours later than I actually can.

I suspect the reason it quoted me the DART ex Malahide is that the connection time at Howth Jct is tight for the DART ex Howth. For interchange stations there is a minimum connection time.

Tight? That's a poor excuse. IE SHOULD be able to make connections. If they can't, you have to wonder why they're doing such a terrible job?

And if I hear the excuse that the government isn't giving them enough money one more time! I mean, come on. There's so much they COULD do to maximise the existing network, and they don't do it.

Metrobest wrote:
    Tight? That's a poor excuse. IE SHOULD be able to make connections. If they can't, you have to wonder why they're doing such a terrible job?

Like it or not 3 minutes is to tight for a connection.

enterprise wrote:
    Like it or not 3 minutes is to tight for a connection.

That's not the point. It shows Irish Rail a complete lack of faith in its own punctuality. If the company itself doesn't believe it's any good, how does it expect the customers to respect it?

"Getting there" isn't good enough. Just Get us There. And on time, please!

Advertisement