Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

REVERSE Sexism in ads

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Now explain this, why is it fair that your employer or other peoples taxes should have to pay for you to stay home?
    Because clearly, if he was at home, he'd not be working. Because babies require no work, right?

Ever been to school or college? Why is it fair that other peoples taxes paid for you to attend them instead of forcing you to go out working in an industrial factory or chucking your young body to squirm around in a mine?

Jaysus, sometimes I really miss the rep system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Big_Dirty_Pig

they didn't pay for me to attend, they paid to keep the school open, that's a community project. Who paid for books and uniform, copies pencils etc? Many people have to put themselves through college, but that's a differnt debate altogether.

Children can't help the fact they born and thrown into a tax system. Adults have the ability to produce them and is their responsibility if they do, if they can't afford a kid or aren't in a suitable position to have one then they should be more careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,349 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Nasty_Girl wrote:
    Is the fact there's a woman and a man on the ad even relevant?
    And once more the dominant discourse strikes. How about an atypical relationship in an ad. or will this be left to Benetton only?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

No money?
    Not Fair?
    Oh poor lamb. Now explain this, why is it fair that your employer or other peoples taxes should have to pay for you to stay home?

Why should they pay for women to do so? You're missing the point again. Obviously that college that I paid for didn't do so well with you. Shame. Community project my ar*e.
    Here's a tip, next time why don't you keep it in your pants until you can actually afford to have a baby instead of wanting everyone else to pick up after your actions?

Not all babies are unplanned, bigot. And I've already said that I worked nights and looked after him during the day. The point over and over again is that if I was a woman, there would have been a period, however brief, where I wouldn't have had to. You can keep your "tip" because the only points you make are condescending and inflammatory.I wouldn't mind if you had the slightest bit of life-experience to back it up, but it's clear you don't.

they didn't pay for me to attend, they paid to keep the school open, that's a community project. Who paid for books and uniform, copies pencils etc? Many people have to put themselves through college, but that's a differnt debate altogether.

Children can't help the fact they born and thrown into a tax system. Adults have the ability to produce them and is their responsibility if they do, if they can't afford a kid or aren't in a suitable position to have one then they should be more careful.

Does that count for women too? We're not talking about single parents here, that also would be a different debate. We were discussing maternity leave vs paternity leave. One exists, one doesn't. Simple. You can debate whether the taxpayer or employer should pick up the tab all you like, but the point was that if mothers have it, fathers should too,(though maybe not as much of it) as in other European countries. That's equality, what we're all supposed to be working towards.

I now sit back and wait for your no-doubt ill-informed and abusive reply ( based on your previous track record, of course!)

• Advertisement

Victor wrote:
    And once more the dominant discourse strikes. How about an atypical relationship in an ad. or will this be left to Benetton only?

Woudln't it be great to see something like that? It would be a leap forward for sure. Don't wait on Irish TV to be the first to do it, though!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

This thread has gone nowhere fast.

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement