Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A cork boards night out?

Options
  • 07-12-2004 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if people would be interested in meeting for a pint or two over the next month?

I could use an excuse for a few pints with new people :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭whatalanger

Only if you're paying

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I'd love to but I'm in Dublin :( and when I'm home over Christmas it won't be in the city.. I'm a country girl!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Trying to organise a Boards Beer in Cork is like trying to nail jelly to the ceiling.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

someone's bound to say it so it might as well be me - with PROC about, boards is going to be a poor second when it comes to people from Cork being present.

That said, after the way the galway beers went, I'd be up for it.

Fysh wrote:
    someone's bound to say it so it might as well be me - with PROC about, boards is going to be a poor second when it comes to people from Cork being present.

That said, after the way the galway beers went, I'd be up for it.
    I dunno.. I was a member of PROC for ages but the atmosphere on that site just can't beat boards! that's just my opinion.. but it is nice to have a mix of people from all over our fair country.. not just Cork.. although we're a mighty bunch of people :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

I'd be up for a nite out in Cork anytime. I'm a country girl myself as i'm originally from Kanturk but i love to get away from that some of the time. So how many of ye are up for it?? ;):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Ah I was in Kanturk only a few weeks ago. Got hammered in some pub...can't remember the name but a husband and wife run it and they were so lovely :) It's on the main street....

Would it be rite next to the Hairdressers? Hartnetts?

KittyKat wrote:
    Would it be rite next to the Hairdressers? Hartnetts?

That's the one!

Friends of mine are from Boherbue and they took me out in Kanturk. Great night.

Next time your out there, try Phillpots and then the Park Lounge. Theyre in the square in the town. I always have a good time in those two. Phillpots has good music up to about 10 or 11 and then the DJ comes in and bangs out the Dance tunes. The Park Lounge is a nite club and pub by day, but i think its a good place to go by nite. :);)

• Advertisement

Don't think I'll be back there for a long time but thanks for the info. Nice little town.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

ah Cork beers... It'd be interesting to organise BBC 2, given that BBC 1 was such a rip roaring success.

/me goes off to attempt to nail blackcurrant jelly to the ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Sure I might as well throw my name down on to teh list.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭allnight_2002

Why not !!!
    When where :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

KittyKat wrote:
    I'd be up for a nite out in Cork anytime. I'm a country girl myself as i'm originally from Kanturk but i love to get away from that some of the time. So how many of ye are up for it?? ;):)

lol I grew up in Rathcoole, just a few miles from Kanturk! :D

• nesf (as proposer)
    • Cork_girl (as young un that's been sweet to dahamsta and needs bringing down to earth)
    • fysh (as unfortunate that needs a tutorial in proc sadness)
    • dahamsta (as old person)
    • KittyKat (as respected country person)
    • rymus (eff you rymus, you put your name down guy)
    • D-Generate (as old hand that should know better)
    • allnight_2002 (as person dahamsta knows nothing about)
    I have to go shopping for the kiddyvinkies next Tuesday, so I propose next Tuesday evening in a pub. Any pub. Fork it, I have an idea: Let's start in the Maylor in Maylor Street; they have Aftershock and they're great craic. 8pm on the 14th, if anyone needs a spin gimme a shout and I'll pick you up --as long as I make it back to the city before 7.45, take me up on it. Two spare sofabeds in my gaff, help yourself, first come first served.

adam

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I resent that. I don't actually post on PROC, because frankly it's always seemed a bit crap to me. But it'd take a lot to convince me that it's not representative of a lot of Cork's online presence.

That said, tuesday sounds good to me. Even if I do have work on wednesday. I suppose I could break with all tradition and just not get drunk... *shudder*

Where exactly is Maylor Street again? My sense of direction is extremely poor at the best of times!

It's the one between Roches and Cash's. The Maylor is down the Parnell Place end on the right, nearly across from Smyths toy shop. TBH I haven't been in there in a while, but I used to have my lunch in there regularly a year or so ago and the staff were sound. And they have Aftershock.

adam

Aftershock is evil. Not as evil as Absinthe, but evil all the same. I'll PM you my mobile no. anyways mate in case I can't find the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Gah I have exams all next week so I shant be able to make it out for a Tuesday. Sorry! I would be up for any date really after the 22nd of December through to the 10th of Jan, aw bless school :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Christms party on that night unfortunately.

and aftershock is horrible. I really hate that cinnamon smell, and Brown thomas pump it into the air this time of year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Tuesday is a poor night, mostly because I cant even drink 3 cans without suffering the next day at work :( .

Some friday, during the CCFC close season?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Look what's happening, Adam made an effort to fix a time and place and it's being pooh-poohed. Though h aving said that, I have no better suggestions myself

dudara wrote:
    Look what's happening, Adam made an effort to fix a time and place and it's being pooh-poohed. Though h aving said that, I have no better suggestions myself

I agree. Adam's made the effort to sort it out, which is more than I did.. Organise one for after Christmas aswell and try and get a date that suits people?

Same old, same old. $n people will always have trouble with $n night. Tuesday is bad for people that work during the week[1], but what about the people that work weekends? And Friday is a rubbish night because everywhere is jointed, particularly in the run up to Christmas.

I've set a date and I'll be in the Maylor at 8pm on that date, quite happily on my own slugging Aftershock if necessary. So if you can go, copy the list from my post above and add your name to it; if you can't, copy the list and delete your name.

If you want to go but can't, do me a favour and leave your complaints at the door. If you really give a toss, you'll arrange the next one.

adam /has spoken

[1]BTW, I work during the week and I'd much prefer to go out S/M/T/W/T and avoid the weekend cattle. But to be fair I'm self-employed so I can stay in bed next day. Like today in fact! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

so that's how we recognise you - the guy swigging aftershock at 8:00 pm :)

I've not been in the Maylor since they threw me out for being underage.
    That's just about a decade ago now!

dahamsta wrote:
    Same old, same old. $n people will always have trouble with $n night. Tuesday is bad for people that work during the week[1], but what about the people that work weekends? And Friday is a rubbish night because everywhere is jointed, particularly in the run up to Christmas.

I heartily agree - the chances of finding anywhere worth going to with space on a weekend night are pretty miniscule. Unless you pick one in the arse of nowhere, like they did with the last Galway beers...

I'll be along for this one at some point, and I think we should try and do one mid-january time, see if we can get those who can't make this one along...

... and why do I need bringing down to earth?! :( :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

nesf wrote:
    lol I grew up in Rathcoole, just a few miles from Kanturk! :D
    lol me from Kanturk too!!! well... near enough .. went to school there!!

Advertisement