Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General knowledge thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭The Stig

Thomas Doll

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

The Stig wrote: »
    Thomas Doll

and the Stig takes honours, well done.

Thomas Doll scored against Wales in a European Championship qualifier game to become the first former East German player to score for the unified German national team.

Who Holds the record for the fastest Yellow Card in England and what wa the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I was thinking Vinny Jones, in less than a minute, but i think that might be a red card (he ran onto the pitch as a sub and punched someone, no?)

Ya i read somewhere Vinny holds the record for an assault on Gazza after 3 seconds?

Don't think its that famous picture of him grabbing Gazza by his go-nads but for kicking him up in the air or generally hacking his legs? Must go and google it......

• Advertisement

You're right . Vinnie holds the record for the fastest booking. It came after just three seconds of an FA Cup game against Sheffield United on February 15, 1992. He was playing for Chelsea, and Dane Whitehouse was the player on the receiving end.

That tackle saw Vinnie beat the previous record held by...himself

Hmmmm think of a question!

Name the only player to captain his team in 5 senior All Ireland football final matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭MB74

and the Stig takes honours, well done.

Thomas Doll scored against Wales in a European Championship qualifier game to become the first former East German player to score for the unified German national team.

Okay I just had to go look this up and the actual answer was Andreas Thom and not Thomas Doll. Thom scored in December 1990 in a friendly against Switzerland while Doll only scored in October 1991, although it was the first competitive goal by an 'Easterner' for the 'Unifieds'. What a waste of 20 minutes!!!

MB74 wrote: »
    Okay I just had to go look this up and the actual answer was Andreas Thom and not Thomas Doll. Thom scored in December 1990 in a friendly against Switzerland while Doll only scored in October 1991, although it was the first competitive goal by an 'Easterner' for the 'Unifieds'. What a waste of 20 minutes!!!

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time on your hands.

I should have put the word "competative" into my original question to avoid confusion, my apologies.

Answer my second question above smarty pants! I'm betting it will take you longer then 20 minutes of searching.....;)

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time on your hands.

I should have put the word "competative" into my original question to avoid confusion, my apologies.

Answer my second question above smarty pants! I'm betting it will take you longer then 20 minutes of searching.....;)

I know, 20 minutes spare time on the web, I really should have put that to much better use than researching German footballers, now what else could I have done in 20 minutes???

Now for the other question, don't yet know the answer but 20 minutes begins now. If I find out I won't post it though, not the way this thread is meant to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 boc

tony hanahoe

boc wrote: »
    tony hanahoe

Nope.

Looks like nobody is going to get it.

Answer; Jimmy Murray of Roscommon. He captained Roscommon 5 times 1943, 1944, 1944 replay, 1946 and 1946 replay. 5 times and the only man to do it.

I'm forgoing my chance to ask another question. Somebody else can have a go.

Okay, keeping it with the GAA theme, not too many to choose from for this one but which was the first inter county team to achieve an All Star Award in all 15 positions in both codes.

There can't be too many to choose from so this won't take long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Inter-county?

i dont like this GAA theme.. i dont know any of the answers...

KatCookie wrote: »
    Inter-county?

i dont like this GAA theme.. i dont know any of the answers...

But what's the worst you can be wrong 31 times before you guess the right answer? (Excluding exiles!!!)

Cork

The Stig wrote: »
    Cork

Sorry no, might have been second though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Galway

RuggieBear wrote: »
    Galway

No, keep guessing.

• Advertisement

dublin

RuggieBear wrote: »
    dublin

No, I would say Dublin are a long way short on the hurling awards.

wexford

Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Offaly?

KK and WX for football all stars? Doubtful i'd say.

Sherifu wrote: »
    Offaly?

KK and WX for football all stars? Doubtful i'd say.

KK and WX, what were you thinking?

Yes the answer was Offaly. Not a bad feat for a small county.

What county has lost most All Ireland senior football finals?

Galway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Pure guess: Meath?

• Advertisement

MB74 wrote: »
    Galway?
    Pure guess: Meath?
    Nope.

Advertisement