Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8 String "Leviathan"

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Ah well, it's still pretty damned funky!!! I want a go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Hmmmm, wait until I get some 13's on it and get it down to C#. Just put 11's on the Eggle and they're way too loose.

13's in C#??? I wouldn't have thought you a low tuner. And C#??? Quite a bizarre tuning... What will the piezos think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Hmm... Do I remember feylya playing drop C tuning on my 9's? Yes, I beleive I do. :D

Anyway, I got back a quote from Guitar Asylum on my Stealth with my exact details, and conversion into euro, its €2350 with case. That's including reversed pointed headstock, no inlays, coil tapping, mahogany body, pickup rings and all other bits and bobs. :D

How does this sound to you peeps?
    The only problem is that while it's only a $300 deposit, the stadard build time is 12 months, and by that time, the conversion rate between euro and dollar could skyrocket!

Hmm... Do I remember feylya playing drop C tuning on my 9's? Yes, I beleive I do. :D

Oh, FFS I was running out the door, you had the thing tuned a step down and I wanted to play Oriental Melody through the microcube. Sounded damn fine too!!! I just never figured the Doc to be a down tuner....

As for the conversion rate, pay them now. I doubt they're gonna say that they don't want the money...

• Advertisement

Downtuning has a bad rep because of nu-metal, but it has its merits, and I wouldn've never thought the doc being too snobby to tune so he could jam out some carcass or the like.

As for the whole conversion rate thing, paying them now is a good idea in theory. I've more than enough for the deposit at any rate, but the 12 months is plenty of time to save altogether and I don't have €2350 right now. Look over there, a rock! Oh, and behind me, a hard place?

Wait then tbh. I reckon it'll be a while before the dollar is equal to the euro and even then, you'll save money.

Don't forget, Tony Iommi down tuned!!!

feylya wrote:
    What will the piezos think?

They'll think they're the luckiest piezos in the whole damn world if they don't want to be fecked out in the bin :)

Ahhh I have a long history of down-tuning, starting with my first 'real' band Edible back in 93. I insisted we tune to C. Not in a sludgy, doomy sort of way, it just sounded appropriate for the music I was writing at the time. When Big Al and I were getting a band together which was doomy and at times incredibly slow (once described as "glacial", though we were in a really Sabbath place at the time) we found that the stuff just sounded great in B, with the occasional stint into dropped A. You've just got to go with what sounds best for the music. At the moment, what is in my head makes my balls jangle when tuned to C#, so C# it is. Why fight it for the sake of convention? Ah, it'll all make sense in a month or two, trust me :D

Ah, that floyd :( It's gonna be wobbling all over the place.

Nonsense. I'll wager the 13's will have more tension in C# than a set of 10's in E.

• Advertisement

Well, considering 13s are designed (at least in my head) for B, they'll have loads of tension.

The floyd clamping blocks won't be happy though, especially if you go back with the tunings...

Bah humbug to them. The guitar should be a means of experimentation, not conformity. If it ain't up to the job then I'll find one that is.

Meh, I'm just saying FR's and low tunings don't mix particularly well. That said, the 13's should sort it....

Oh for a Kahler Flyer... :(

Mmmm, Kahlers....

The finest trem I ever played, stable, sturdy and takes any gauge and tuning you can think of and still kicks ass. The ZR seems to be a harkback to the Flyer design but still requires the gouging out of the spring cavity which the Kahler never did.

Kahler's going back into production too...

Oh?

Doc, what do you think of the €2350 price tag?

Doctor J wrote:
    Oh?

Yup. He's bored fo making golf clubs so he's opening shop again making Kahler trems. Has one that retro fits a Les Paul...

• Advertisement

I think that's a spicy meatball :eek:

However, if this is the guitar you want, that you really really want ;) then I say **** it, go for it. This will be a completely unique guitar, built specifically for you, to your specification by B C fycking Rich! Still less than a Les Paul in Waltons :)

Doctor J wrote:
    I think that's a spicy meatball :eek:

However, if this is the guitar you want, that you really really want ;) then I say **** it, go for it. This will be a completely unique guitar, built specifically for you, to your specification by B C fycking Rich! Still less than a Les Paul in Waltons :)

Aye, very true... Still, it'll take a YEAR to get built!
    Damn...

I think I'll go for it.

Hmm, if only ESP guitars were that cheap...

Aye, very true... Still, it'll take a YEAR to get built!
    Damn...

I think I'll go for it.

I want a go!

feylya wrote:
    Yup. He's bored fo making golf clubs so he's opening shop again making Kahler trems. Has one that retro fits a Les Paul...

Hot Dog! It's true!

http://www.kahlerusa.com/

Yaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy, a real vibrato at last! The Kahler trems only require a minor divet in the surface of the guitar, then tremolo and springs are on the one unit which screws into the face of the guitar, easy mod with just a teeny bit of routing for Les Pauls or Hardtail strats :D

Christ, everyone knows that!

:p

Bah humbug to you, sir!

Ah, back in work eh :p

Yeah. Pox.

Karl, one way to look at the building time is that it gives you time to establish exactly what you want electronically. I doubt you'll have to specify the pickups until near completion, so you can check out X2N's and whatever else until the time comes. I would put the deposit down asap and try to pay it off asap too, take advantage of the exchange rates as much as possible. A year isn't that long to wait, especially given what awaits in 2006.

• Advertisement

Doctor J wrote:
    especially given what awaits in 2006.

2006? What awaits???

Advertisement