Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keith Barry...magic my arse.

Options
  • 29-11-2004 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭

Was watching this last night. What a load of bull. Its obvious that the audience are in on it every time.

Speaking in particular of that nmber game he did on the chalk board. Wow!! He got them all to add up to 63! Hes a Mathmagician. Really magical the way he did that. Then guessing the mans name who the guest was thinking about. I mean a trick is a trick, but when it is actually impossible to do its a complete load of bollox.

Another one was the two chinese people. He "mind melded" them so the man could tell what the womans card is. Does he really expect us to believe that they haven't been prepped? At the very least the man was in on it.

I like magic tricks, thats why Keith Barry annoys me so much. He really performs them so poorly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 McFairyland

Linoge, are u a magician? Okay then, make yourself diappear!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Linoge, are u a magician? Okay then, make yourself diappear!

Surely that should be in the humour forum? McFairyland, are u a troll? Okay then, you're an asshole.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That numbers thing was weird, alright. And to guess the name Ricky by looking into his eyes? Gimme a break....

Some of the sleight of hand stuff was very good, though (the 4 coins, and the bubble in the balloon).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 McFairyland

are u a troll?

Yes, I'm a evil troll...

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

He probably has them hypnotized or something. Like Derren Brown does. Although the latter makes equally stupid claims as to what he's actually doing, he's an infinitely better performer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

well I guess seeing him live would sort out all your "prepped" issues.. wouldn't mind seeing him..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Barry's "magic" is nothing new and fairly old hat. Some of his tricks look like he got them out of a €10 Book of Magic and he relies heavily on the use of z list celebs to sell his show. Last year he did the old bullet through the glass and catch in the mouth trick - need I say more.

I think Derren is a far superior performer but I did lose a little resect for him after the much hyped Russian Roulette fiasco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

If Keith Barry is so 'magic' why does he buy all his clothes in Unique Boutique?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Did anyone see him doing the driving thing?

He drove a convertible while blind-folded, he had a girl in the passenger seat beside him, and he was "using her eyes to see the road ahead".

Have to say it was pretty good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Why do you people always have to criticise one of our own? The guy is an entertainer, and a very good one at that. A great replacement for the heap of tosh that was killinaskully

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

What Keith Barry needs is a preternatural courtship with a "lovely Debbie" by his side.

PaulDaniels.jpg
    Paul Daniels: Platinum Cad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

He's a poor man's David Blane and that says it all really, because Blane used wires and fancy editing to make the tv viewers of his first special believe he wasn't just standing on one foot for everyone he was doing his levitation for...

For anyone who doesn't understand I can give a fuller explanation later...

Penn and Teller. What a pair. :D As far as that barry lad is concerned... grr :mad:

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Typical of Irish People, Always first to knock our own. I went to school with Keith and what he is doing is excellent. Keith is a real down to earth fellow, who just happens to be doind the one thing he loves, and that to entertain. Good luck to him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Last year he did the old bullet through the glass and catch in the mouth trick - need I say more.
    oh yeah, that old chestnut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Typical of Irish People, Always first to knock our own. I went to school with Keith and what he is doing is excellent. Keith is a real down to earth fellow, who just happens to be doind the one thing he loves, and that to entertain.

Let's do the show right here.

It's got nothing to do with him being Irish. Should I turn a blind eye to the fact he is crap just because he is Irish? Should I lie about his questionable talent and pretend he is good just because he is Irish?

If he was from Afghanistan I'd still think he was crap.

Leonard wrote:
    Typical of Irish People, Always first to knock our own. I went to school with Keith and what he is doing is excellent. Keith is a real down to earth fellow, who just happens to be doind the one thing he loves, and that to entertain. Good luck to him

I quite resent that. The fact is he IS a second rate magician. If he was in any other country, he would have to work for his crowd/adoration/fanbase etc. But because he is such a novelty to us "thick Irish", we should all go and hail him? No, we should not. If someone is good, they deserve plaudits. But if someone is second-grade at what they do, they should come back when they're top. Not just because we feel obliged to as we're all fellow country men.
    This country is getting so weak with entertainment as there is far too much of this attitude that "ah sure he's Irish".

Did anyone see him doing the driving thing?

He drove a convertible while blind-folded, he had a girl in the passenger seat beside him, and he was "using her eyes to see the road ahead".

Have to say it was pretty good!

It's another old trick which he robbed off someone else.

Here's some guy who's driving 3000 miles blind folded: http://www.newsobserver.com/lifestyles/gearino/story/1259477p-7373780c.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

Its better then killlinaskully, as was pointed out. The worst "humor" we have is the whole "boger" or "posh" i.e. killinaskully, d'unbeliveables, stew. Why make such crappy stuff? we are good at stand-up, and at the talk show style stuff (the panel, don't feed the gondolas, tommy tiernan,ardal o hanlon etc)

People compare us to the yanks+the brits, and say "oh we aren't cool, lets make out that we are all ignorant and borish. yeah that will get us laughs". Its annoying and untrue. So fair play to anyone who makes a different style, even if the wanna critics don't like change. Intelligent, witty humor is wahts funny. not laugh at our countires little foibles. its as bad as the carry on movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Here's some guy who's driving 3000 miles blind folded: http://www.newsobserver.com/lifestyles/gearino/story/1259477p-7373780c.html
    Exactly - he splashes out a trick hood and everyone thinks he greats - well done Keith, what amazing magic shop purchasing skills you have.

On the other hand, to paraphrase Sean Moncrieff's classic line from "The End" about Boyzone:
    "He may be shíte, but he's Irish shíite..."

I have a serious problem with all you people. Some people saunter through life, do a crap leaving, maybe go to college and then probably end up in a job they hate. Some people though have something they really want to do so they give it a real go, they work hard and do their best to make their dreams come true. Some make it, others don't. I think they deserve respect and praise for their efforts. Keith Barry has worked hard at something he clearly loves and he's made it work for himself, fair play to him I say.

Keith is that you?

Haha...fair enough....I was hoping you wouldn't be the first to reply to that (no offence). You're entitled to your opinion bud but i do hate knocking people who have worked at something they like you know? I mean someone like Ronan keating now...Im sure he likes singing and im sure he's worked hard....but he has said so many stupid things in his time that he probably deserves the odd slagging every now and again.

Fair play to Keith, he does a job and gets paid very well I'm sure. I just don't think he's a very talented guy. It just gets on my nerves when I hear people talking about how amazing some of his tricks are, when clearly they are not.

I suppose, like everything, it all comes down to personal taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I think his show is quite good, apparently the folk at BSkyB agree. As far as I know he has a contract for a series with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Have a google around a bit for some magic tricks, I bet you'll find half his stuff. I saw this card trick in a book on sale on the net for about 20 quid once, and what does Barry do but comes on a few days later and does the same trick on the Late Late. Worse still, it was his finale. Hell anyone with a bit of charisma and a credit card can do exactly the same thing. He'll wow an audience that hasn't really seen a lot of magic, but when you compare him to other magicians who really push the envelope in terms of original effects, he looks like a cold bowl of porridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Who cares if he robbed it off someone else?? It was a good trick/illusion - I dont care how he did it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I don't take issue with the tricks he performs. Every magician is using well tried and tested tricks presented in different ways to entertain. What gets me about KB is that hes part of a product line from RTE that I have very little time for. It's called the "It's been done in the UK so lets do it here with different names" style of programming. I criticise this because I would like to see new ideas being tried on our national TV stations instead of the same old copiest business invariably done badly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement