Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BRITISH GENERAL ELECTION - 4TH JULY

Options
  • 22-05-2024 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Will this be "Independence Day" from the Tories?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,409 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Let's hope so, as few of those crooks reelected the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭concerned_tenant

Labour will win by a landslide. The Tories only have themselves to blame by failing to address voter concerns (hence the concomitant increase in support for Reform UK). Voters aren't enthusiastic about Labour, but it's the only available alternative.

More than anything, this is punishing the Tories — understandably, and justifiably in my view.

The UK's answer to Pat Kenny will be Prime Minister in a few weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

It should be a labour win but when it comes to Britain these days you just never know, I wouldn't rule anything out tbh and nothing would surprise me at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

things can only get better😂

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,043 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

D:Ream just put a deposit down on a private jet 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Pure Thick of It moment there on a par with Mays Strong and Stable while the letters peeled off the sign behind her, excellent trolling by Steve Bray, credit to the rain for stopping long enough to lure him out then soaking him aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,951 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I just can't wait for the Tories to be filleted.

I shall be tumescent, in every sense of the word, throughout the Count.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Randycove

this will be the first general election since the brexit vote, where people will be voting on issues other than brexit.
    Labour were always going to improve over the last election, because they no longer have Corbyn (thank god) but the Tories have been awful, so it should be a comfortable win.

It will be interesting how well the SNP do as well, their only saving grace at the moment is that the Tories are a bigger joke than they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭supereurope

I moved back to Ireland from the UK in 2021, so this will be my first British GE in a while as an observer, not a voter. I don't see how anyone can vote for the Tories after the last 14 years, the last five in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Looking forward to seeing which high profile Tories lose their seats. Who's going to have the 2024 Portillo moment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

So does the campaign begin immediately or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Whatever turns you on Labre34

tumescent
    /tjuːˈmɛsnt,tjʊˈmɛsnt/
    Learn to pronounce
    adjective
    adjective: tumescent

1.swollen or becoming swollen, especially as a response to sexual arousal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭francois

I remember watching through the night in 1997, looking forward to several Portillo moments with relish

• Registered Users Posts: 32,409 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Who will I be looking forward to getting kicked out most? Hard to not think Gullis! A very nasty individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Randycove

I’m not so sure there will be. People don’t seem to be overly enthusiastic about Labour, but they should recover the red wall and a lot of their previously “safe” seats now that they have a competent leader. There should also be a lot of big swings, but mainly where long standing MPs are stepping down.

Maidenhead will be interesting. Conservative since the year dot, but with May retiring this year, the libs seem to fancy their chances.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Bit of history trivia. The reason why there is a tradition for Thursday elections is so as to diminish drunk voters. The reasoning being that as people were usually paid on the Friday, then by Thursday they would likely to be sober due to lack of funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

British election counts are incredibly boring with the result usually not straying too far from the exit poll just after 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Funny enough, Thursday would be one of the bigger drinking nights in London these days especially since the pandemic. The twenty/thirty-somethings chained to their desks in the Square Mile and Canary Wharf until 9pm then on the pints after — best hope they don't forget to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,468 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Hope the Tories are decimated. And hope the Tory Reserve Team (aka Labour under Keir Starmer) don't win by as much as they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭blackwave

Hopefully Rees Mogg, truly an odious human. Would love to see the smugness knocked off him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

As a big supporter of both Sunak and Truss you must be gutted at how badly it's going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭Rawr

I suspect some previously stedfast Tory supporters are jumping the popularity bandwagon in favour of GB News: The Political Party…aka “Reform UK”

Possibly also hoping that enough gammons move their vote over to them to make Reform UK the new opposition. Won’t happen that way, but it could be the hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

We used to have our elections on Thursdays up to about 15 years ago. Probably for the same reason.

Like 1997, Labour are committed to the same spending plans as the Tories.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭concerned_tenant

I'm realistic.

The Tories can never be in power in perpetuity.

And sometimes a reset is a good thing. The Conservatives need to go away and re-identify how they need to position themselves to the country.

No party should govern any country forever. Change is a good thing, even for the incumbent party.

So not gutted, but this is an inevitable change.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭Patser

Ian Dunt on twitter (can't link on this pc) commenting that there seems to be a possible inner Tory revolt, where they hope to kick Sunak out by Thursday, and cancel the election before parliament is officially dissolved, there is so much confusion, lack of communication and ill planning that went on ahead of Sunak's announcement today.

Serous risk the Tories will go into an election with ether a new leader or even no leader

Tory voters have nothing to worry about when it comes to Starmer. Like Blair, he's not going to rock the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Tiger20

Is Starmer the UK’s Enda Kenny? A politician with very little charisma or personality who comes to power due to the ineptitude of the ruling party, but who actually turns out to be an effective, if unremarkable leader? I think the similarities are striking

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It looks like Parliament will be prorogued on Friday, 24 May, while dissolution will take place on Thursday, 30 May.

Then Purdah kicks in. "Government departments and councils will normally observe discretion
    about making new announcements or decisions that could influence voters."

• Advertisement
Advertisement