Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of buying a folding bike?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭traco

You are probably paying a bit more for the colour and lights so could save a bit with a different colour. The handlebar height won't make a huge difference unless you are trying to save some watts at sustained speeds of 30kph+ so I'd select the handlebar based on most comfortable riding position. I think mine is a H

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Would stick with HIGH, medium might be fine now but how long? Bike should last a lifetime. In 10/20yr time ya might prefer to be a bit in a higher position?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

less the bike to work discount it seems like good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Antipathetic

Unfortunately, I don't qualify for the bike to work. I'm currently on a CE scheme But looking for a paid position anywhere else. I sold my motorbike as I started a relationship she didn't specifically request I sell it, but I did so because I don't feel they are very suited to Irish conditions. Plus I didn't want her worrying about my safety.

I can't seem to see the option I am interested in which is a 6 speed bike ideally in black with a rear rack and the option to purchase the travel cover I may contact one or two of the bike shops below to see if it is possible for them to place an order for the bike that I want from Brompton.

Cycleways

Penny Farthing Cycles

Cycle Superstore

Hollingsworth Bikes Ltd

These here are the four listed dealers from Brompton's website.

Is there any shop on that list that I should avoid? And is there one that shines above the rest in terms of value and customer service?

There is also the option of waiting a few weeks and going over to see my parents in London and either ordering from Brompton's website for delivery or to one of their local dealers in London and if I'm not mistaken, you can even pick up from their London factory if you want.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Tried out a few of the options last year and ended up with a Tern Link B7.

I'm 6'3 and 100kg. Had to shell out for an additional telescopic set post.

Also bought a rear pannier frame - adds a bit of weight but love the bag being off my back.

Use it twice a week usually between 12 and 20k.

Cycled 20k on Monday on it. Whitehall to James' Hospital to Aviva and back to Whitehall.

As above, I avoid kerbs up and down. Tyres say max 60psi on them, and I've had one pitch flat. I also find it grand twitchyness wise but 40kph be plenty downhill. On a steep uphill the frame is just long enough for me to stand, not noticed it being unstable, just tight for space.

It folds easy (seconds) but is relatively heavy - headed for 20kg I'd say.

On flat and downhill commuting it's perfect. Bit slow but in traffic I lose very little. Uphill it takes a bit of pedalling.

edit - Was substantially cheaper than a Brompton, main reason for picking instead

• Advertisement

I bought from Hollingsworth and no issues with them. Wildly makes a good point with the Tern as its comes up often as a very good alternative to the Brompton for a lot less. I also had to get the extended seat post.

One other point of note was that I think cleaning on the Bromptopn is important, it seems to get fould with grit and dirt very quickly in the wet. I also got stung for a new rear tyre at €55, I've bought Uniroyal Rainsport 3 for the car for that but it was a Schwalbe Marathon stiff puncture resitance one.

Definitely check out the Tern if you are paying out of pocket. I used the cycle to work scheme which is a big help and spreads cost over 12 months and saves a big chunk of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Been using a three-speed Brompton for about fourteen years. My teenaged daughter uses it too. first choice for local trips: it lives under the stairs, just grab it on the way out. It's fun to ride, and extremely versatile. Great for public transport and car hire.

I'm a big fan, in short.

Thank you everyone for all of your helpful advice. I have gone ahead and ordered my bike from McConvey Cycles in Belfast, I decided to say screw it and order the special black lacquer edition handlebar height seems like it will be okay. Although it is a bit lower than my touring bike. It is about the same level or slightly higher than my indoor bike which I have ridden quite a lot during the winter. The only thing I am slightly concerned about is the length of the seat tube. However, I can always change that for a new one if necessary. I think I am right on the limit at about 84 cm inseam length.

Hopefully it won't take too long to arrive and I won't have to endure trudging back-and-forth for 20 minutes between the bus stop and my girlfriend's house.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks for opening this thread, with an end result

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Bike finally arrived only bit of assembly required was install the seat, I'm not sure if the seat post is long enough but I'll ride the bike a bit longer before swapping it for a longer one.

I was worried about the gearing system using both hub gears and normal gears but it's not as complicated as it first seems.

• Advertisement

Congrats. Well wear.in the gears, shift the hub while freewheeling and the cogs while pedaling. Becomes second nature ver quickly.

Can't comment on seatpost as mine is the telescopic one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Enjoy. Great to see another Brompton convert. The gears will be easy after a day or two.

For the seat post, there used to be a way you could add a cm or two of length by changing around the saddle clamp, might be worth looking at before you get a new one

I'm 183-ishcm tall and I was recommended the longer seat post, which I've always found fine. Think much taller than that and the telescopic is supposed to be the best one.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭gossamerfabric

why wasn't an e-scooter suggested? I know it wasn't what was asked but are they not allowed on public transport?

Yeah, you can install the saddle rail clamp in one of two orientations.

Not sure if it's part of the new rules or has always been the case sine e scooters became a thing but according to citizens information and the RSA they are baned form all public transport. Although you could probably just put one in a bag and nobody would stop you bringing it onboard.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel-and-recreation/e-scooters-e-bikes-and-e-mopeds/e-scooters/

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭gossamerfabric

OK. legal escooters are allowed on public transport here when folded and considered luggage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I made the jump that at least part of the journey was rural roads when he wasn't just cycling from A to B. E scooters on rural roads would not be my cuppa tea but maybe I misinterpreted. Also might not have had an easy charge point at work / GFs. Alot of places are starting to crack down on charging them in the workplace.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Pretty much, our workplace is trying to figure out a safe system for them after the fire in DCU but bar a seperate charging shed, it's hard to know. Ban them though and people will bring in batteries and forget to unplug them if going for a few beers after work.

• Advertisement

We dealt with plug in heaters being brought in by advising all staff that to do so invalidated our fire and trip hazard insurance and advised that the heaters would be confiscated and staff subject to disciplinary procedures up to dismissal for repeat offending.. good uptake in more seasonal clothing.

[We also upgraded the BMS in the background with more local sensors and controls.]

To tray and bring this back on topic I'm interested to here how our OP is getting on with it and if its ticking the boxes for him?

Sorry about the delay everything is going great with the bike I had it delivered to my girlfriend's house and it was great being able to cycle down to the bus stop, rather than walk for 20 minutes. I'm still getting used to the process of folding and unfolding. Thankfully, there is a sticker on the top of the bike with pictures of how to unfold and re-fold the bike.

The only two negative things is the seatpost could do with being a little longer and the bike is quite heavy. Considering its size. I understand why they went with steel due to its durability and the fact that it never fatigues under normal stresses, but it would have been nice to have the 30% weight saving that aluminium offers. I do have an aluminium touring bike so aluminium can be strong when used correctly.

I also got the transit cover which is okay, although it is a bit of a pain to stuff back into its pouch. Also, I would have liked the option although it would probably increase bulk to have a carry handle or strap on the cover as well as covering the bottom of the bike just to make it easier to carry and load and unload. I may look into getting the IKEA storage bag that I saw recommended on the Brompton sub on Reddit, although it is see-through so I will probably combine with the Brompton transit cover to hide the bike while on public transport, especially when I load it into the storage compartment beneath the bus.

I am also trying to figure out how to mount both my phone and Garmin Edge to the bike, preferably at the same time. I suppose that's one disadvantage of the Y-shaped handlebars is there isn't a lot of space for mounting accessories compared to a straight handlebars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Am pretty sure they have done lots and lots of testing with Steel v Alu. Read years ago its because of the hinges, ALU will fail with fatigue after time. If you store that bike correctly - it will last a lifetime.

Am going to have mine (18yr old) either buried or burnt with me.

Might even go with a viking style floating currach on fire with the brompton folded up by my side or used as an anchor!

I might have some sort of accessory bar that may work from another life so will check. I 3D printed a quad lock mount for the center clamp and it works fine but I hardle ever use it.

As for bags - this video might give you some ideas but they will be pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Getting both phone and Garmin together might be tricky. You can get quad lock mounts but anything bigger risks impacting on how it folds. I also bought a Garmin mount from Ebay that goes where the handlebars clamp on.

For concealing the Brompton on buses, I have a large garbage bag rolled up and pushed into the short end of the open top tube (open when the bike is folded, I mean); and I keep a spare inner tube in the other end of the top tube.

The novel storage area of the top tube is something Brompton recognizes, as they have quite a clever toolkit you can slide into the top tube.

https://www.twosmallfeat.com/2018/09/brompton-toolkit-review/

Someone gave me a present of a Dahon bike bag, and it works well for the Brompton. I use it for carrying wheels on a bike trailer too. Think it's cheaper than Brompton's offerings.

The only option I recall for a lighter Brompton was to get steel frame, but with titanium fork and rear triangle. Think the tubes would be too big if they used Al.

• Advertisement

I couldn't mount my head light in the correct orientation on the handlebars (M type), but I was able to make a barrel-like projection mounted to a vertical of the handlebars so that I had a horizontal mounting point in the middle between the verticals. Used an old Cateye mount, a bolt and a cosmetics cylindrical lid. Will post later if it sounds any use to you.

Advertisement