Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of buying a folding bike?

Options
  • 19-05-2024 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone hope ye all had a great weekend.

As per the title of this thread, I am thinking about buying a folding bicycle. Unfortunately, my workplace is moving to a new building, which is approximately a 20-minute walk from the nearest bus stop. And at the weekends I go and see my girlfriend who lives about 20 minutes from the nearest bus stop.

Deachlon seem to do decent folding bikes although I can't decide between the one with 16 inch wheels of the one with 20 inch wheels.

20 inch wheels

The 16 inch is much more expensive but at the end of the day I'm not sure which is the best for Irish conditions. The journey to work involves taking one bus, whereas the journey to see my girlfriend often involves taking a train part of the way and then getting a bus to her town.

I should also add that another use case would be potentially carrying some shopping at the weekends if I need to pop into town to get stuff.

Sorry I am terrible at making decisions. If you were in my position, which would you consider getting?

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Alkers

Is there anywhere secure enough to leave the bike near the bus stop? For that kind of distance I would just buy a second hand bike for 200e and use that to go between the bus and the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The 16" looks a lot more compact if going on a bus/train. But more tricky to ride. Try one in the shop.

The 20" would be a better riding bike. But doesn't look that compact.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,848 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

We have two bikes with 20" wheels and I would say they're folding bikes for people short on storage, rather than folding bikes for people who want them to be portable. I'd ask to see them folded up if that is something you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭Squatman

folding bikes are sh1t. 16" would be marginally faster than walking, 20" should be faster again. Folding up and down is cumbersome. Decathlon seem to stock very entry level bikes, so again will add to the difficulty in commuting. door to door what is the distance between home and work? at that sort of money, a decent 2nd hand road bike woudl be recommended and avoid bus altogether

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Can't comment on the Decathlon ones but I'd disagree with the folding bikes are sh*t comment. Plenty of Bromptons on my commute doing Ok and giving several racers a run for their money.

• Advertisement

I've a 20" Dahon folding bike. I picked one that folds neatly. Many don't. That btwin 20" doesn't seem to fold that neat. The 16" is a lot better. But the 20" will ride better.

For me the bike turns a 30 mins walk into a 5-10 min cycle. I've done 14k on it no problem. Can get a decent speed on it, with 6 gears.

You have to ride them differently to a regular bike, no kerbs, no rough surfaces. You sit upright and they aren't as stable as a normal bike do you have to more careful. I really like cycling mine .

I'd consider a 16" bike if the train or bus is going to be busy. Smaller is better in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I would test a few of them and make sure you try the fold and try to carry them folded.

If you are spending the 850, I'd definitely consider stretching the budget for a new or second hand Brompton. If in a few years you don't need it anymore, the Brompton retains a lot of resale value

Bromptons are the best folders.

Folding bike are good value used. I bought mine used. So many people buy them and don't use them. So you basically get a new bike half price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,848 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was up in the rediscovery centre in ballymun just over a week ago. they'd a fine one there for €120.

fact - 20" wheels are 25% faster than 16" wheels, that's a scientific fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,312 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

on an average folding bike there's no stem, so the steering is very noticeably more twitchy feeling than a normal bike. shorter wheelbase too, so they don't feel quite as planted.

Geometry of the frame. Also you sit very upright so the centre of gravity is higher.

You get used to it. You just have cycle more conservatively. Pick less rough routes and surfaces. Not drop off kerbs or go to up them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭Squatman

not really. larger diameter yes so larger circumference. the inertia requierd to get the wheels moving is increased in teh 20" units. Tyre thickness will impact speed too. that being said, i think you just wanted kudos for being able to work out percentages? if so, well done, i can see why you were made a mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭elperello

What is the actual distance from home to work and to girlfriends house ?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

can you use the bike to work scheme to save a few euros?

Although I guess that also means buying new. I think I’d buy secondhand give the rate of bike theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

Brompton owner here.

1. They're slower than a road bike generally - though not stupid slow.
    2. For those saying they are "twitchy" change that to "manouverable" (spelling).
    3. Sitting in a train right now with it parked above my head.
    4. Have cycled 80km on it without much issue.
    5. Have cycled up and down various hills - no issue with stability or "plantedness".
    6. Re: item 4, have seen 73kmph on the way down "the lamb" in Kildare - again no sketchiness
    7. Have "dropped" of kerbs, and hopped onto them - no probs.
    8. Have lots of bikes, Brompton gets the most amount of uses (if not kms).
    9. I used BTW to buy it.

They are expensive though, and I can't help but feel that a fold up bike from Halfords would have done the same job - wouldn't have the aesthetic though.

That's my two cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Antipathetic

Thanks everyone for your feedback. On second thought, I am tempted to get a Brompton because they seem simple to fold up and they have a long history of making bikes so by this stage they are probably pretty reliable.

Also, I like the feature that someone showed off in a video where he wheeled it round the supermarket with a front bag attached and used it as a shopping trolley plus you can strap stuff to the small rear panier which is handy as well.

I presume since Brexit, the only way to buy one is through Halfords?

I tried using Brompton's Irish website, but the shop part seems to be broken at the moment.

• Advertisement

There are several shops in Dublin which stock Brompton. Penny farthing on Camden Street being one.

I see what you mean, long way up for 100kgs of me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭what_traffic

If you are going with the Brompton, the Brompton Borough bag is pretty roomy. 28l - got one recently for my 18yr old Brompton and it fit like a glove on the BLOCK. Used bike alot the first 9yrs - then odd occasion last 8 years but back using it regularly now again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm a Brompton owner and agree with everything aside from your last point. I've tried a few folding bikes (Decathlon entry level and mid level Dahon which possibly cost about 800€ new). I've yet to experience anything that compares to Brompton when it comes to either ride quality (I've also done a few 60km+ rides on mine) and overall user experience related to folding.

That is why I suggested testing as many as possible. A lot of people's experience on folding bikes comes from some half put together supermarket contraption that weighs 20kg and you could barely lift into a car boot, and they rightly say they are pointless every time.

I bought my first Brompton because my LBS owner gave his to me to go home to get a part when my bike was in for servicing. I didn't specifically need a folding bike but bought one the next day it was that good

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭billyhead

Which Brompton did you get? I'm considering getting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭duffmann

Added a second hand Decathlon tilt 500 to my collection a couple of years ago. Wouldn't fault it. Only gets the occasional outing though. Fits nicely into the boot. Never tried to take it onto a bus. I have a detachable basket attached to the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭G1032

https://global.brompton.com/find-a-store

Dublin stores shown here on Brompton website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭traco

I'm 100kg. 6'4" and no issue on a Brompton. They aren't slow either especially if you have the tyres at the recommended 100psi. Not as quicl as the serisous road bike commuters but definitly not a dog. As for handling - its a non issue and you get used to it very quickly.

Based on your use case I would double check the bus part. Trains are fine but Dublin Bus might be trickly so if doing that I'd get a bag to pop it in so its hidden. Yun can get a proper Brompton one that lets the carrier wheels that it can roll on stick out or some ppeople just get an Ikea one.

Only caveat I would say is - don't count on rolling it far when folded on those little wheels - its a pain especially if you want to move quickly. Might work inside a store or to slide a short distance but if rolling through a station its much easier to unfold it and push on its normal wheels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Antipathetic

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. Does this seem like good value? Just shy of two grand and available for collection

The only thing I'm not sure about is if I'm not mistaken the H in the model name designates that it uses the high handlebars. Ideally I would be looking for a medium handlebar as that's a good compromise between speed and comfort.

Advertisement