Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which party will you give your #1 preference to in the upcoming European election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭SharkMX

What have Claire and Mick been doing in Europe all this time? Anything to be said for giving them another go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Ming voted against the NRL.

I just took that political test. It says I most align equally with Aontu and PBP Solidarity. Bizarre.

Post edited by Hippodrome Song Owl on

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Eudaimonia

No democracy is perfect and I’m not saying the EU is perfect but your suggestion that due to posssibility of being able to sneak through legislation in the way you outline above make the Eu a democratic seeming irrelevance is wrong. If it’s full on democracy you want would you advocate for further integration and a United States of Europe or would you advocate less democratic integration? It appears to me you’re anti Europe but I could be wrong.

Post edited by Eudaimonia on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I totally disagree.

If a few real far right fascists are elected, the old real ones that believe in utter vile shyte like race domination, women's place is in the home, etc then it will force the mainstream once centrist and conservation parties to wake to fook up and really engage with the electorate and their concerns.

I am not allowed discuss …

How many times does it have to be explained to some people that without agricultural subsidies keeping agricultural products prices low people would have to pay much higher prices for their food at the counter?

Oh yes you can argue you can get food cheaper from the developing or third world and have no subsidies, but then don't come crying about food contamination, disease or environmental concerns about deforestation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,969 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Attempting to sneak legislation through during the twilight days between a parliament being dissolved and a new one formed, as Ryan and Noonan are attempting because they know there will be in all likliehood no mandate for that legislation under a new parliament, is as far removed from both the principle and the letter of democracy as it is possible to go imho. With all your talk of E.U. democratic checks and balances you appear believe that is acceptable. It quite simply is not and to belive it is in the realm of believing that it is possible to be just a bit pregnant.

I don`t see that we are that far away from the United States of America model as we are after the term of this present E.U. administration. Other than in the U.S. there is more of a say democratically at a local level. Prior to this present E.U. administration, even though I thought we were made sacrificial lambs off during the banking crisis, I was still in the pro column. Now like an increasing number E.U. wide I am in the sceptical column.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,234 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

What have Claire and Mick been doing in Europe all this time?

rather not think about that😬

Yes it is very serious.

Do you think it is wise to just carry on the current course and watch more and more communities being steam rolled?

Watch more and more people lose any respect for our current political process and state authorities.

Any downturn will immediately drive home the real unsustainable situation, how a huge portion public sector spending is now made up of spending on people who are "guests" of the state, and how it has increased dramatically over the last few years.

But until that downturn the only noticable thing are protests throughout the country.

Although if you are just a consumer of mainstream media one would think it is the same disgruntled right wing activists going from protest to protest and most of them are over quickly since we never hear of them after a few days of coverage.

Like every other country where chunks of the electorate are ignored there comes a point of massive backlash.

Germany had a tiny tiny fringe of hard right as Germans had flashbacks to what they gave Europe, but that is gone as modern Germans have had enough and vote for AfD in sizable numbers.

Likewise Sweden, Netherlands both of which had small right wing political movements until recently.

The US and Britain have huge swaths of people left behind by globalisation and then add immigration, especially non integrating immigrants to the mix in UK, and you get Trump and Brexit.

Ireland are usually late to the party, but by God we make up for it in how colossal our fookups work out.

We get a few far right now to shake things up, rather than a lot later on to really make things worse.

What would you chose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Eudaimonia

I would revert to my original responses in the case that you persist with this argument that:

Attempting to sneak legislation through during the twilight days between a parliament being dissolved and a new one formed, as Ryan and Noonan are attempting because they know there will be in all likliehood no mandate for that legislation under a new parliament, is as far removed from both the principle and the letter of democracy as it is possible to go imho. With all your talk of E.U. democratic checks and balances you appear believe that is acceptable. It quite simply is not and to belive it is in the realm of believing that it is possible to be just a bit pregnant.

My points in relation to this from previous posts are, and I will reiterate them for your convenience:

Your argument suggests that the current parliament's decision-making is somehow less legitimate because of impending elections. This undermines the principle that elected representatives should carry out their duties throughout their entire mandate. Changing of terms is the very cornerstone of a strong political system and is democracy in work at its strongest.

it is still not undemocratic that there is a grace period while the old parliament still serves. The immediate dismissal of the old MEPs is not feasible due to administrative and logistical concerns, which necessitate a transition period that may take weeks or months. The EU is democratic and is a bastion of democracy. Due to its nature and makeup of various member states the best way to implement that is the current system.

Furthermore you said:

With all your talk of E.U. democratic checks and balances you appear believe that is acceptable. . It quite simply is not and to belive it is in the realm of believing that it is possible to be just a bit pregnant.

My view on this is as follows, the criticism of scheduling the EU Environment Council meeting after the European Parliament elections is unfounded. It’s not uncommon for legislative processes to extend beyond electoral timelines. The suggestion that this timing is an attempt to circumvent democratic accountability is unsubstantiated. The EU operates on a system of checks and balances where legislative proposals undergo thorough scrutiny by multiple institutions before enactment. it is also important to note that the Council of the European Union operates independently of the European Parliament elections. The Council's mandate continues regardless of the election cycle, and its responsibility is to make decisions based on the current legislative agenda. The timing of the vote is a procedural matter and does not inherently undermine democratic principles.

Finally at the risk of further going around in circles I am going to leave it here. Thank you.

Post edited by Eudaimonia on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,969 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Perhaps it would be an idea to read what is posted before replying ? I made no criticism of the timing of the E.U. Environment Council meeting. Or indeed of the E.U. Environment Council.

My critism in light of all your beliefs in the effectiveness of E.U. checks and balances of the democratic process, was and still is, that with all those lofty checks and balances it would still be possible to enact legislation that could not reach a qualified majority during the term of the present parliament, now has Ryan and Noonan attempting to have it enacted during the shadow period before the next parliament is appointed.

I don`t see there is any great mystery as to why the are attempting that. It is nothing more than blatant skulduggery because they see that if the opinion polls are even vaguely correct, a pet project of theirs has not a snowballs chance in hell of being mandated by the new parliament. If that for you is an acceptable example of those democratic checks and balances in operation that is up to you, but perhaps like reading posts before replying, you should give a bit of thought to what the principle of democracy actually means.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭concerned_tenant

Earning a hell of a lot of money, for doing absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,504 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Hearne is crying about being left out of the debates.

He even brought mammy Holly in with him in the latest video.

Have to admit I'm enjoying seeing him have a little temper tantrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭StoutPost

Ming voted in favour of the NRL when it counted, the momentum was built. He knew well how it was to turn out because he was told, many times, including by myself. He voted against when he knew it'd make no odds, in an election year, nothing but a cheap stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Tobin the only one talking any sense in this debate, he'll do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Sweet merciful christ above, how Saorise McHugh manages to pull these live television interviews boggles the mind. Must be channelling the Mayo connections in RTE…

Every question she gets is tee'd up nicely in her favour then she turns with her teenage gawk and snaps at the presenter 🤣

Then others (who RTE despise) such as Peadar Tobin and Peter Casey, every question is prefaced with an old tweet dug up from 2 years ago. Shameful behaviour from our shameful broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I noticed that too. Its like the questions are purposely made easy for her. Never gets a hard time at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

That's not really true though. Literally the first question asked of McHugh was questioning her about an old tweet where she had said that activism was better than electoral politics at advancing causes and asking her if that was the case then why she was running again. When she didn't really answer it she was asked it again. I agree that she shouldn't have even been there though. She got that support in 2019 as a Green Party candidate. Now she's polling at 1%. It was silly that the likes of Mullooly weren't there instead.

Casey was an utter shambles. Couldn't even tuck his shirt in. Didn't seem to know what the European parliament does. Was asked about the Russian invasion of Ukraine and instead, unprompted brought up his "3 state solution" for Israel-Palestine. Seemed to go missing entirely for 10 minutes in the middle of the debate. If by some miracle he got elected I wouldn't trust him to turn up to do the actual job.

Seemed to go missing entirely for 10 minutes in the middle of the debate

microphone malfunction apparently

She got that support in 2019 as a Green Party candidate. Now she's polling at 1%.

and there was an actual GP candidate there. Doesn't make much sense…

• Advertisement

That's what the moderator said at the time but he was gone for a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Treated with kid gloves, comes across like a bold child. She won't do to well, her green nonsense might work well in south Dublin but it won't in the NW.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

fg polling strong

• Registered Users Posts: 16,504 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Dublin candidates debating now on radio 1

Gibney says there is no such thing as illegal migration.

Ah well good to know he is au fait with NGO asylum industry speak.

Turning up in most countries without visa, passport or identification means you are trying to illegally enter the country, but not in little old Ireland.

We call these people IPAs, used to be asylum seekers but that is so old and pre covid.

Let me guess only preferred candidates from major established parties, and maybe the odd total crank they can slag, were involved in the debate?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 FlataytoOne

Just wanted to flag something guys, especially if you couldn’t find a candidate’s website…

So I was looking up Saoirse McHugh’s site, trying to find her platform what she thinks on certain issues etc etc. I had no luck. Not even the Wikipedia page had it. So I went to her Instagram and sent a DM to ask. Soon as I send it & go to her front page on Insta, Lo and behold, there it was.

I put the website up on Wikipedia (cos that was showing on searches), but if she hadn’t put the link on her own social media I would have had no idea. I still have no idea of practically most of the field. They might have sites out there, but neither Bing nor Google are showing them. Funny that.

So I was looking up Saoirse McHugh’s site, trying to find her platform

That you Ming? (Or possibly his former assistant, in case Luke's lawyers don't have a sense of humo0ur)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

How much ganja has “Ming” smoked while an MEP and has he ever been high while voting?

Regards,

P.

I see the site alright but it's #22 in the list of search results. The most likely scenario is that either it's a new site or people who search for her just end up clicking on her instagram (#1) or twitter page (#3) instead (so it never climbed higher in the rankings). The site is also linked in her twitter bio for what it's worth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement