Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which party will you give your #1 preference to in the upcoming European election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭DaSchmo

That's a very odd poll. Did the IT survey their own office? Labour's AO'R on 10%? Pull the other one

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

This site seems to be full of certain types calling for politicians who's policies they don't like to be killed or like the Slovakian PM die from being shot the other day. Very disturbing and mostly seems to come from leftists.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

That's not how pr stv works. If you put no1 McNamara, your vote goes to him. If he gets say 0.99 of a quota, he's not elected and still receives transfers. The next transfers get him over 1.0 quota and he's elected then. Your vote has done its job, stays in McNamara's pile. Won't ever transfer and the rest of your preferences don't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If he gets elected on 1st count from your 1st preferences, your 2nd Prefs help determine where his surplus goes.

If he gets elected from transfers, then the next preference of those group of transfers determine where the surplus goes.

Not voting down the ballot is wasting the full potential of your vote

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Eudaimonia

Your assertion that the European elections and the EU voting process are undemocratic is a critical misinterpretation of how the European Union functions and its commitment to democratic principles. Contrary to the claim that these elections are merely "democratic-seeming irrelevance," the EU's electoral process embodies several key democratic elements such as representation, transparency, and accountability.

The first element I would argue is that there exists direct representation of its citizens. The European Parliament, elected through the European elections, is the only directly elected body within the EU. This means that citizens of EU member states, including Ireland, have the direct power to vote for their representatives. The process is designed to ensure proportional representation, meaning the number of seats allocated to each country reflects its population size. This system aims to balance the representation of larger and smaller member states, ensuring that all voices are heard in the legislative process. The argument that the voting process is undemocratic ignores this fundamental aspect of direct representation.

The European Parliament operates with a high degree of transparency, making its proceedings, decisions, and voting records publicly accessible. This transparency allows citizens to stay informed about the actions and decisions of their elected representatives, fostering accountability. MEPs are aware that their decisions are subject to public scrutiny, and this encourages them to act in the best interests of their constituents. Moreover, the legislative process in the European Parliament involves rigorous debate and discussion, where multiple viewpoints are considered before decisions are made. This inclusiveness ensures that legislation is crafted with input from diverse perspectives, reflecting the pluralistic nature of European society. The accountability mechanisms in place, including regular elections and the possibility of losing one's seat, further reinforce the democratic nature of the EU voting process.

The EU has a robust system of checks and balances that prevents any single institution from wielding unchecked power. The European Parliament, the Council of the European Union, and the European Commission each have distinct roles and responsibilities, ensuring that power is distributed and that no one body can dominate the decision-making process. This separation of powers is a fundamental principle of democracy, designed to protect against abuses and ensure that all decisions are made in a fair and balanced manner. For example, while the European Commission proposes legislation, it cannot become law without the approval of both the European Parliament and the Council of the European Union. This requirement for consensus and cooperation among different institutions embodies the democratic principle of checks and balances, ensuring that legislation reflects a broad agreement rather than the will of a single entity.

Your claim that the EU voting process is undemocratic overlooks the importance of citizen participation in shaping the EU's direction. European elections offer a platform for citizens to express their preferences and influence the EU's policy agenda. High voter turnout in these elections can lead to significant changes in policy direction, demonstrating the power of the electorate to impact decision-making. Additionally, the EU encourages active engagement through various initiatives and programs aimed at increasing awareness and participation in the democratic process.

Thes include Europe for Citizens Program,European Citizens' Initiative, Debating Europe Platform, Eurobarometer Surveys, EU Aid volunteers, European Youth Event, Conference on the future of Europe to name just a few. These efforts help to educate citizens about the importance of their vote and how they can effectively participate in shaping the future of the EU. Furthermore, initiatives such as the Spitzenkandidat (lead candidate) process for selecting the President of the European Commission aim to make EU leadership more directly accountable to voters. This process allows citizens to influence the choice of the Commission President by voting for European parties that nominate specific candidates, thereby strengthening the democratic link between voters and EU leadership.

The notion that voting in the upcoming Irish European elections is undemocratic and irrelevant is a perspective that undermines the foundational principles of democracy. Voting is not merely a symbolic act; it is a critical component of democratic participation that directly influences governance and policy-making. Voting in these elections is essential for ensuring representation, accountability, and active citizenship, which are cornerstones of democracy. Without meaning to sound offensive reading your post makes me think your thoughts are better suited to the Brexit forum and not in this thread. But I suppose you are trying to demonstrate the anti-establishment viewpoint which saw the likes of Claire Daly and Mick Wallace voted in.

Post edited by Eudaimonia on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I understand this mentality and I also won't be voting. There's an episode of Father Ted where they try to have rabbits chasing after a greyhound, Dougal bets on a rabbit but Ted doesn't as he knows better. Not voting is a way of saying all the options available are rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭MFPM

I agree with you bar the last point. I don't think it's people on the left in the main here, it seems to be more from the right, the poster I was replying yo is certainly not a leftist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

You said you're giving a vote to the Irish party that literally worships the Nazis... 😂 In fact, the same party favours bringing back the death penalty and seem to want to use on people they view as "traitors".... So, I guess you're the most guilty of being a certain type

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I would vote for "None of the above"...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I think he contributes well to ag policy and puts forward the case for the people of Ireland diligently from a strong left perspective. I think he's honest and has integrity. I wouldn't vote for him though as I disagree fundamentally with him on a few points.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Hungry Burger

That’s your pejorative but I strongly disagree. By not voting you’re saying you’re happy with the way things are being governed. The establishment are all the more delighted for you not to vote, one less vote against them.

A spoiled vote protests nothing, it’s not like any politician will ever see it. Anyone who tells you to protest by spoiling your vote is attempting to pull the wool over your eyes and get you to waste your vote.

If you want to protest vote, vote for a candidate outside the political establishment parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

I agree with the return of the death penalty that's correct. If that makes me a certain type in your eyes knock yourself out 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

They want to use it against political opponents...

No I am not, if I was to vote it would indicate that I am ok with a political system where politicians are overpaid, can waste loads of money and are not held accountable for broken promises. We have a housing crisis and no party has come up with a real solution yet, engaging in a process that seems to go nowhere just leads to more frustration

Silly mentality. Voting is the only say you have on how the country is run.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They are held accountable by voters. No party has come up with a solution to the Housing Crisis that voters approve of because that is seemingly impossible.

I'm sure an (increasingly less) psuedo-dictatorship like China would be just wonderful to live under instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Not voting is no threat to the current system.

If you want change to the system, indicate so by voting for change

No it's not silly and I think saying this is silly. Protesting is another way to have your say.

• Advertisement

Protesting is just begging the politicians you refuse to vote out to do something for you.

It's not impossible though. We could borrow a lot more for state funded basic homes and do more to get building approved quicker.

Why don’t you vote for someone who says they want to implement these changes instead of throwing the toys out of the pram and not voting then 😂 plenty of candidates advocating exactly that.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭RonanG86

I would like to see people who wish to vote for the National Party, who's former leader (who was not kicked out for ideological reasons, is still on the NP ticket for this election cos his new party wasn't set up on time, and who's wife is also running on an NP ticket) literally worships Hitler explain why they are voting for the National Party.

Do the people proposing to vote NP also worship Hitler?

I'm just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,126 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Labour have won the only bye-election of the entire Dáil term (which was in Dublin), and have consistently been polling much higher in Dublin than the rest of the country. 10% in Dublin is entirely possible.

This site is entirely unrepresentative of general politics in Ireland; always has been. Polls and perception on here back to the 2002 GE are entirely off from what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

Either SF or Lab. green 3rd pref

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

FG and FF a closer 2nd. Most of the rest tend to be grandstanding fist waving finger pointers with little knowledge of serious politics. Pont to note, I used to be a Labour man.

Dan.

I think you’ll find that party will crash and burn now, there’s a lot more competition from other parties for that part of the electorate now and despite what you may think of them, most don’t worship Hitler.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Not a single councillor ever lost votes by opposing home building in their area.

Politicians are ultimately, in many ways, self-serving but the best way of being self-serving is to try and do what their constituents vote based on. Not what they say they want, what they vote for - the disparity between these two things is what causes a lot of dismay and disillusionment among the populace.

Anyway, they'll all be thrilled if you don't vote - not that its wildly important for the EU elections. Though I think sending anti-EU parliamentarians is a bit silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Labour could be at 30% of the vote in all of the country if they had policies with a bit of common sense not like Ged Nash and Aodhain O Riordain coming on TV3 news night debating that anyone disagreeing with Government migrant policy was far right ,what a shower of gobshites

Advertisement