Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on finding plots to rent

Options
  • 14-05-2024 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

I might be on the lookout for a plot to rent, ideally no more than an acre, maybe less even. Its hard because it seems the only options are renting 10s or 100s of acres or get an allotment which may not be large enough and there's none near me.

It will be for growing predominantly and possibly mini orchard. All for my own consumption. Are there any options or places to look out there for farmers who would rent individual acres or less?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭youllbemine

If it is just for yourself then an allotment is all you need. You can be extremely productive on an area of land <200m2. Start small and grow from there. You wouldn't be able to manage up to an acre on your own with mo experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭The Macho Man

That depends on what your growing. Allotment won't be big enough. Besides there's no allotments anywhere near me.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

You might be able to rent an acre from a farmer but I'm not sure you would get it for long enough for an orchard to be worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭youllbemine

Hhatvare you planning on growing? Is an acre what you need? Have you done the sums? Planting plan? What is your experience of growing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Deub

I would be also interested by this around Cork.
    I have an allotment but I am running out of space this year. Orchard would be great but I could understand a farmer not liking the idea. Veg and small bushes (blackcurrant, etc) would be fine with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,202 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Are the City/County Council doing a scheme with land leased from Peter Twomey, the guy who has free range pigs? Worth checking out, can't remember the detail.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,775 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you were looking into an orchard, which is a minimum of five years, you'd need a cast iron guarantee that your lease won't be terminated after three…

and you'd be surprised how many apples you might get; i've got two small enough trees and got enough juice out of the apples two years ago to make nearly 50l of cider.

That's at White's Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You may find it easier to get a cottage plot rather than land from a farmer.

The older council cottages came with an acre.

Someone who is not into gardening might be interested in getting the place kept tidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Deub

Thanks. I can’t find any details of this scheme..

• Advertisement

Sorry, it's Cork's Rooftop Farm who intend growing organic vegetables on that land.

Advertisement