Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home insurance - best most competive insurance company ?

Options
  • 13-05-2024 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Current renewal quote ia a bit high …

Anyone any suggesstions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭JVince

OutSurance - just launched here. Big in South Africa

https://www.outsurance.ie/home-insurance/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭thebiglad

There isn't a quick one size fits all option, you'll need to put in some work on the phone or internet.

As with motor insurance you need to shop around, different insurers have different target customers and, if you/your property fits their profile you'll get a more favourable rate.

Also, look at your cover - are you over valuing your property/contents or paying for frills which you won't use. Consider increasing your excess too.

Finally, you could always contact a broker and let them do the leg work for you but, be careful when you get the quote from the insurers to look at what the broker may be adding to your premium for 'assistance' etc.

Post edited by thebiglad on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭worded

Hi,

Thanks for advise.

Im considering going building only not contents.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭muloc

I'm looking at renewing. I've found they're looking for a lot more detail this year so it's a bit of a pain.

I got a good deal with an post last year as new customer. This year renewal is €366. So far I've tried:

1. The AA €490
    2. 123.ie €503
    3. Chill.ie cheapest is €330

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

"Finally, you could always contact a broker and let them do the leg work for you but, be careful when you get the quote from the insurers to look at what the broker may be adding to your premium for 'assistance' etc." - I understand broker fees are about 5% for ordinary work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The broker I have used in recent years added €95 to the policy price for the motor and home renewal quotes I got this year 😱

I can't remember the exact fees from previous years but they were similarly outrageous.

I've mostly talked them into waiving the fees, but I moved home insurer this time as they couldn't match a quote I got from another company.

Put in the time, shop around, and read the small print.

absolutley crazy idea.

Burgled - zero cover for lost goods

Fire - zero cover for contents

Accidental flood - zero cover for contents

As above - go for higher excess and take out things like all risks, but don't cut contents cover out. Its not that expensive.

and difficult for anyone to say who will be cheaper for you due to how they actuarise cover.

if you lived in a 3 bed semi in Dublin 16 and ABC insurance currently had too many 3 bed Dublin 16 semi's on their books, they will increase the cost to new business to price themselves out of the market.

You could go back to them next year and find they want more D16 3 bed semis to balance their portfolio and find they will be the cheapest.

So shopping around with your specific details is the only real way of finding the right priced insurance for your home.

Trying An Post now …

Ive a Dormer Bungallow in Wicklow. Any idea of approx rebuild cost?

Its sale value is approx 480K. Its less than 100 SQ meters I think.

Would you like to add Full Accidental Damage cover? - Any point?

Ive a Dormer Bungallow in Wicklow. Any idea of approx rebuild cost?

https://scsi.ie/consumer/build/calculator/

Would you like to add Full Accidental Damage cover? - Any point?

Depends how accident-prone you and your family are! If it's only pocket-change in the difference I'd always include it - any more and I don't bother. Entirely personal decision at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭micks_address

filled in their extensive questions… to get - sorry we can't quote you… not very inspiring..

How much to ensure contents for? Would 50 do it or etter at 75?

got same myself when trying - no quote but a "we will call you".

AIG was best for me in Kildare whilst Liberty were lowest for a rental property I have in Munster

Nobody here can tell you that.

You need to go through your house and tot up what you estimate all the contents would cost to replace (and now that I'm typing that, I'm not sure if all insurance policies are new-for-old, I know when I was burgled about 20 years ago I got the cost of replacement items rather than the value of what was stolen). Your kitchen could be worth 10 grand or 50 grand, you could have a gold-plated jacuzzi bath or a plastic shower enclosure - only you can value the contents.

depends on the value of your contents

Clothing, pc/laptop, mobiles, TV, appliances, floor coverings, furniture.

Do a rough calculation. Circa 50-60k would cover a standard 3 bed with reasonable contents cover.

You insure for what is is worth - be sure to check the rules for new for old, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭MickH503

Aviva have a https://www.aviva.ie/insurance/home-insurance/contents-insurance-calculator/ , handy as it makes you think about each room rather than trying to pluck a total number out of your head!

Zurich turned out to be very reasonable after trying a few

380 quote !

270 rebuild

65 contents

1000 excess as I'm not going to claim unless it's very serious

I've 10+ years NCB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

What does it matter what brokerage fee they charge, if the bottom line you pay is cheaper than what you can achieve personally?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

We are renewing ours at the moment too.

An Post (underwritten by Aviva) are coming in by far the cheapest. About €100 less than others. Just checking all the details now, but I don't see anything concerning yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,275 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

You need to see where the supervisory regulation is done for these lads.

The landscape is littered with failed blow-in insurers like these where the CBI only does the customer facing regulation and the real risk is allegedly supervised else where.

Having said that Quin and ICI were home grown failures that we are still paying for.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Not sure if you bothered to do any checking? Not exactly good to make a very mis-informed defamatory comment based on zero checking. Even very very basic checking (there's a site called google that can help) would give you news reports that they are investing €160Million in Ireland, plan to employ over 300 people and currently have 7,000 employees worldwide

I would not say these are blow-in insurers who primarily deal through brokers. OutSurance deal direct with customers and are the parent company of Youi insurance in Australia & New Zealand - amongst market leaders in both countries

For the Irish market, they are based in Ireland for all regulatory issues. I think this was one of their selling points when they soft launched a few months ago. Offices in Dublin too - not just a call centre.

now I'm just waiting to be accused of "working for them" because I did a 2 minute google search and took an interest in the news reports of their official launch yesterday 🤣

I concur 100%, but for my car insurance I got the same policy price from Allianz direct, so why would I go with the broker and pay an extra €95? I'd prefer to deal with a broker, but not for that much of a premium!

In the case of my home insurance, I got a much better quote from another company altogether, and they couldn't match it, even without the broker fee, so I moved that.

I have three insurance policies, every year I devote at least half a day to shopping around, and go with the cheapest/best I can get (I discovered a few years ago that cheapest is not always best!)

The cheapest is not always the best you say. .... That's probably true

I read one time about a car insurance co called "bump insurance". No joke real company

Anyway they were very slow to pay out according to ppl online

Had a laugh at the name ....

So you could have

"Cavity Dentists" etc

Outsurance called me back after 3 days. A very pleasant sounding lady … can you tell me your date of birth, email address and contact number … Me: you just called me on my contact number … GDPR means you need to tell me your date of birth, email address and contact number … Me: can you just give me the quote … no, I don't have the quote, I was just calling you to arrange a call back … Me: Good bye

That crap really annoys me … I guess I won't be going with OutSurance 😂

I find all suppliers want these deails

Well maybe not DOB ... But all else

if an insurance company can't email a quote or not give it instantly on the website - I tend to avoid.

IMO they should have delayed their launch until they had everything ready for instant quote & cover as they have in the other countries they operate as first impressions matter and their first impressions are poor

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Pretty standard stuff actually because the reinsurance guys will want to make sure they are not double or triple insuring the same risk. Ireland and the UK is a nightmare when it comes to this stuff as there is no national ID number so you have to go with as many other attributes as you can get.

I agree. When I filled out all their stuff on the website I thought I was going to get a quote there and then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

I found Allianz to be leagues ahead of all other companies this year with home insurance.
    Funny thing is, I just did an AA quote, it came in at €599, Allianz quoted €365
    I received a phone call from the AA literally 20 mins after doing the quote to follow up on it - I told them of the €200 cheaper Allianz quote and they immediately reduced to €399 (took €200 off straight away!)

Advertisement