Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for internal vacancies while on long term sickness

Options
  • 12-05-2024 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

ive retired recently but I was out sick for quite a few years prior.
    during that time there were lots of internal vacancies that I was qualified to apply for.
    if I had applied for these vacancies I’m sure they couldn’t have not hired in the basis of not being available due to illness. Wouldn’t that be discrimination I would take up the position when I notionally returned.

It would have increased my final salary and pension contributions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

So you think that while being unable to work due to illness you should have been able to get a different job, paying more and presumably remaining unable to work?

Is this a piss take?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I have to be reading this wrong. You retired after years on sick leave and wonder why you might not have been successful in internal competitions while you were absent? They would never have shown your sick leave as the reason for your failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Of course you shouldn't be considered for those internal roles. The reason they are advertised was for getting someone to do the work!! Yet you feel you would be discrimanted. Strange mentality

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Avatar in the Post

Excluding the Public Sector, which I’m not very familiar with you can be let go if out for sick reasons (as part of a process). I imagine the PS is different, but I cannot believe they cannot take into account when promotions are available.

Also, being sick is not a protected category re discrimination. A pregnant women is probably closest, but that’s not an illness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭doc22

Excessive sick leave does limit promotions , 56 days over 4 years would limit promotions due to the percieved lack of ability to provide effective service……………….

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭LimerickGray

Are there laws in place that state that? As illogical as it seems,

If someone it still employed then they should be allowed to apply and get promotions The employer would not know when the employee might return to work and shouldn’t be an issue in an interview anyway

I

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭maneno

if you are out sick you are not available for work so definitely should be an issue if going for a promotion

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭893bet

I have no doubt the OP is in public service.

Correct, nothing stopping you applying for the job. But I’d have a hard time thinking even the PS would consider you a serious candidate.

You seem to think you’d have the promotions in the bag, why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭RonanG86

It'd be absolutely possible for someone on sick leave to top a panel for promotion if they put the prep in. (Whether someone could be too sick to work but could still be able to put the prep in is another matter that I'm sure everyone will have opinions on.)

That being said, if the OP didn't even apply, I'm not sure why they're asking this question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭nachouser

Post edited by nachouser on

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Will0483

Wow, this kind of post just shows you how absolutely batshit crazy things are normal in the Irish public service. Anyone on several years sick leave,shouldn't be getting any salary let alone worrying about promotions.

Time for massive tax cuts as the Government is just setting billions on fire for no return.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭StormForce13

I know exactly what you mean. I feel exactly the same way about the National Lottery. It's very unfair that I can't win simply because I couldn't afford to buy a ticket. In fact it's definitely discrimination - it's time for me to phone Joe Duffy and complain.

Post edited by StormForce13 on

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Public Sector workers get 3 months full pay and 3 months half pay (subject to a max of 6 months paid sick leave in a rolling 4 year period) when sick. Thereafter they have to claim illness benefit like any other employed person if still out.

I assume the OP did this.

Teachers may be different. It’s 6 months full pay, 6 months half pay, and I think a further period on 1/4 pay. But they need to prove serious illness.

Illness benefit deducted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Is it discrimination that I might not have gotten a job I didn't apply for anyway back in the day?

When can I sue the ba$tards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

You would have been able to apply for the job but likely that you would have had the application rejected because you weren't available to work. It's not discrimination as being sick isn't a protected category. I know a few people who applied for more senior positions while on maternity leave & because the role was expected to commence after their return date (or very close to it that movement was possible), they were interviewed & some were successful.

While you're on sick leave there is a level of protection for your job without your organisation however it doesn't follow that you can apply for roles you can't fulfil and expect to be able to get them. Ultimately someone else with similar experience/qualification would always beat you to the role as they would be available. No manager is going to hire someone that may never be able to take up the position.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

so did you apply?

if you did and didn’t get the job did you appeal?

if you were out of the loop regarding information, eg because you didn’t read your work emails or the job notices in the paper I can’t see how that was the employer’s fault.

maybe you didn’t have access to work emails and they should have written to you about the vacancies.

Can the company contact you while you are out sick? Thin ice there I think.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You are the one coming up with this nonsense so go research it and waste your own time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭watersleticia

wow shows you don’t actually now anything about the Irish public service.

I’m not in public servic. Well I wasn’t

no

I’m not saying that. I’m just wondering if I could/ should have applied for vacancies that I was qualified for. Thus increasing my pension and retirement income.
    I worked in a large IT company and had a brain injury that precluded from doing certain aspects of my job. There was an income protection scheme in place that paid out if I could do my job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,643 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'congratulations! the job is yours, when can you start?'

'uhhh…'

this wasn’t meant to upset anybody here. Perhaps I have too much time on my hands these days to ponder the what if scenarios of the past but it is hard to be forced into retirement in your 40s.
    this was a post with genuine intent and only seeking information. Sorry again if it upset you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

If you didn't apply, you'll never know. Who's to say whether you would have been considered or not, and even if you were whether you would have been successful at interview. It's a whole lot of What Ifs.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭StormForce13

Presumably the "information" that you were seeking was as to whether or not you could take a case against your former employer for discrimination not considering you for promotion to positions that you didn't apply for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

IF you had applied, and they ruled that you being on sick leave was a barrier to promotion, you might have been able to take a case, but since you never appled, there is no case to take. The sole reason you were not promoted in that you did not apply.

You said you were out sick "for quite a few years". Would you have gotten any annual salary reviews in this period ?

Advertisement