Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What drives online bullying?

Options
  • 10-05-2024 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

I’m talking about adults using social media, rather than immature young people cutting their newly fledged fangs. What drives a small proportion of individual adults pick out an individual who has done them absolutely no harm whatsoever and who has been generally decent online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,934 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

same as any bullying. It thrives when others, especially those in positions of authority / responsibility, turn a blind eye or are doing the bullying too themselves.

Either way, they are completely complicit.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

I don’t get why anybody would initiate it for seemingly no particular gain; eg when there’s no personal “revenge” at stake, just selecting somebody who to them has been a harmless individual, but they have decided to dislike and express that dislike in a damaging way.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,772 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The same thing that drives other forms of anti-social behaviour: rudeness, immaturity, insecurity and opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

I know on Twitter/X people take very polarised sides of an argument, especially since Musk took it over, and can be extremely rude and obnoxious with it. It’s more than obvious that it’s not much of a place for reasoned debate. Musk wants it that way, to provide a platform for people with personality issues like himself.

I’m on Reddit but I haven’t gone near any political type threads, and find it largely fine for the kind of threads I sometimes participate on. Haven’t encountered any bullies thereabouts, although I understand they exist on certain forums.

I can understand when somebody reacts somewhat in kind to unwarranted nastiness already received, but to take it upon oneself just to express how one despises somebody else for no good or personal reason at all, is something outside of my understanding. All I can think is it must be down to some class of particularly negative personality disorder at play.

It can leave one questioning “have I done something to upset such an individual at some stage?” and the answer to these inexplicable cases is a resounding no. Not unless you might have inadvertently stepped into what they thought was their particular niche space 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Some adults aren't as grown up as we think they are. We see a physically grown up human and assume they are mature. Online bullying is a form of entertainment for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

more and more the opportunity for online bullying.

Bully wants to look slick to their peers. They could be commanded to do it as a rite of passage or to advance their level within the gang hierarchy and more 'street cred

A few years ago the same gang could have been active on YouTube pressing the dislike button on a user's videos YouTube hid the dislike count

Post edited by z80CPU on

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Not confined to the 20 somethings or just dirty old men in raincoats. From all professions, some you'd never suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Dead right. I was trying to track down an interview with a "professional troll" as he called himself from a few years ago but I couldn't find it. Basically he was a 30 something guy with a family working in insurance or some industry like that who spent his evenings in his home office literally trolling. He'd find familles with sick kids or teenagers struggling with bullying issues and just go to town on them with really sick stuff. When asked why? he said it was his "hobby" to relax. His pals went to the pub after work so he went home had dinner with family then locked himself away daily in his home office. It was his relaxing time he said. Some real sickos out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Alexus25

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭ruth...less

Anonymity, lack of self awareness, not seeing people online as real, people online going into themselves..self absorbed, online peer pressure, desire for 'likes', stupidity, ignorance, lack of self esteem, just being a **** etc.

I was a television version of a person with a broken heart...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Interesting discussion.

Current example. reading the online "hate" directed towards BambieThug, you'd have to consider that Ireland is Craggy Island. The amount of people who seem seriously offended and the amount of abuse directed towards a person viewed as "non conforming" is quite frankly, weird. When there are murders, rapes, and genocide in the world, you seem to have a huge issue with Eurovision. OK.

What is also strange, these people slag off others, without clearly looking in the mirror themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Musicrules

It's probably worse online than in real life as some are brave behind their computers. Bullying, trying to drag others down, enjoying the misery of others are all things you see. Just look at this forum for a clear example. Attempts at bullying is common place. A few moderators are clear bullies even. I think for online bullying, the narrative about bullies having something lacking in their lives is true. Sad individuals.

-----------------------------------------

Warned for Breach of charter. If you have a problem with any post or poster please report it to bring it to the attention of the moderators. Digs at volunteer moderators are not welcome here.

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

What I've seen here recently reflects the other way round to be honest.

A group speaking as "we" not being happy until someone is driven away.

I suppose a lot depends on which way you are looking in.

I'm not sure what you mean?

It's not directed at you in any way, shape at all, apologies if you think it is!

I'm saying everyone's perception is different and my take on it, even from here, is very different than yours. That's not to say either of us are right or wrong, it's our perception.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭nachouser

….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭nachouser

….

Is the Bambie person being bullied though ?

People might just not like her. I don’t like her, I think she’s a dose. She has gone someway to prove me right by post Eurovision just slating the fûck out of the organisers, other performers etc.

You can dislike an artist, musician or songwriter be critical of them….. doesn’t make it bullying.

Bullying : The repetitive, intentional hurting of one person or group by another person or group, where the relationship involves an imbalance of power. Bullying can be physical, verbal or psychological. It can happen face-to-face or online. That’s according to the Anti-Bullying Alliance.

Being hyper critical in one’s assessment of a performer is in no way bullying. What next, music publications who review records, performances etc to be cancelled ?

People have to expect that in a free and fair society people should be of the ability to express an opinion, if an opinion contains criticism, so be it, of a person, group of people so be it.

not liking someone or their music not being to your taste is one thing, but trolling and personal abuse and pile on is quite another.

Another example is the hate directed at Stephen Rice’s partner.

Agree it’s way worse online than in person. People feel they are not talking directly to someone but at them. Easy to dish out abuse and then get back to your gardening or whatever with no consequences.

The online bullying group think has also led to the rise of groups showing up at politicians homes for example.

I'm just not sure what you are talking about. You haven't explained your perception so I don't know if it's different than mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Well you misgendered them. Was that deliberate or accidental? They use they/them pronouns in case you didn't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

It is very clear that three main things drive it …..

1 …. the internet is too free …. people can say anything they like and get away with it ….

2 …. very poor example shown by celebs and world leaders ….. Donald Trump's carry on in particular has normalised online bullying ….

3 …. people with nothing better in their lives …..

I wasn’t aware of their pronouns, nor even aware of what shampoo they use 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭PP Lee

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGeC5gPcH/

Here’s an example of online bullying on TikTok. The guy clearly has issues and doesn’t deserve to be mocked online like this. Some of the comments are vile. There’s still plenty of awful people out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭89897

The problem is though that alot of whats been said of Bambie has nothing to do their performance or song. Theres been lots of absolute nastiness based purely on their apperance, gender identity and expression. Nothing on the song.

Personally I thought the performance and stageing was stunning and so well put together, the song is not my taste (though I do find myself humming it alot.. lol) but thats not gonna make me call them a freak show or some of the other terms I've seen here.

Just to follow up on that.

You just dont like Bambie - that's fine. What is not fine is to call her a dose. That's not being critical of the music or lack of (if that's the way you feel), that's being personal and the type of comments not needed but people feel ok to fire off with no consequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Some people with repugnant opinions hate to be challenged on them, and resort to claiming they are being bullied online. Usually the sort of people who are well able to dish out criticism, but are unable to accept any back.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,606 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

We had a post on a local politics thread here over the weekend with a poster of a young male candidate and "needs his hard drive checked" ( a dog whistle for child sexual Abuse) . The post was deleted eventually.

Utterly obnoxious posting.

Sure remember the case that the TD/Councillor took against Facebook to make them reveal the identity of malicious rumours put out about him.

Turned out the fella behind the allegations had no connection at all to the TD and never knew him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,275 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement