Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to gift for holy communion

Options
  • 10-05-2024 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

how much is expected to give a niece/nephew for communion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

€50 should get them off your back

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

€250 would be the bare minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Three fiddy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Tell them it's a sacrament not a money making exercise

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Rosary beads and a prayer book 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

A book about the lives on the saints, and a McDonald's Happy Meal voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭standardg60

Hmm..two threads started within five minutes of each other

• Registered Users Posts: 85,551 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I assume €20 to €50 is the norm

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

€6.66

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Marymoore

are these serious answers?? Why so specific with the amounts? Would I give €20 or €40 or €50? I won’t be giving cents

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

50€

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Like your question about wedding gifts, there's no set or expected amount. I know some patents who don't want people giving their children Communion money at al. Gift what you want. Buy them a present. Take the child out for a treat with you some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I don't give anything. My uncles didn't give me either, if I did get a card from them the money was probably their wifes. One of my uncles who is also my god father never gave me a penny in his life.

They will get all my possessions when I die anyway due to me being an incel loner.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

3 hail marys and 2 our fathers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

A doll, a drum and a kick in the bum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭AyeGer

20 is plenty imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

50 euros, there is no other answer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

a couple of cans should do, after dragging the kid around to a few pubs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

whatever a tube of lube costs these days

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Avatar in the Post

They get the body of Christ, money pales into insignificance, so why bother degrading it by giving them cash?!

A good hearty handshake and a quick toss of their hair is sufficient. Throw in a “Congratulations, young sir” if you’re feeling particularly generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Making sure they don't spend a second alone with the priest is a present they'll treasure for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

If you know they’re gonna get loadsa money from other aunts uncles relatives friends of parents and neighbours etc then it can help ease the burden a bit so 50-80 range

If the kid has few relatives then 100 - I can’t remember now as well over 20 years ago but reckon I gave at least 50 euro back then so I’d imagine the “norm” is closer to 100 these days

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Wow, this thread makes me happy my kids communions and confirmations were in Switzerland! The sum total for each was exactly 50 Euro, that covered the cleaning cost of the white cassocks the kids wore (supplied by the church) and the family attendance at the apero (nibbles and drinks) held on the church grounds afterwards. Then everyone went home. Oh and confirmation costs the same - 50 Euros.

Hard to know if we are too generous, or foolish in Ireland. Wedding gifts came up in a chat with UK and Australian friends, who were flabbergasted at the amounts that we Irish put into wedding cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Hey2.Hey2

Foolish - and that even applied when the 'standard' for a communion/confirmation was a half crown!

I think wedding gifts have gone way over the top- thankfully it’s been donkeys years since any friends got married.

Significant Communion money amounts seems to have taken off in the mid-late 90s.

I know for mine, if you talk in say the price of a chocolate bar in a corner shop , the average gift to me was about the equivalent of 8-10 mars bars - so that’s about 15-20 euro in todays money

• Registered Users Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭pgj2015

its a good trait, most of use aren't tight and miserable like a lot of other nationalities.

most people wont miss 50 to 100 euro, so throw it into a card and make a kids day.

• Advertisement

For nephews and nieces, I treated it like their birthday so whatever I spent on presents back then is what I gave them - I think the oldest got 50 euro, by the time the youngest had his almost 10 years later it was probably 80 euro or so.

For friends kids , as most have now all but grown up, again maybe 15 years ago it would have been about 40- 50 euro .

Advertisement