Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To gift or not

Options
  • 10-05-2024 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

if you decline a wedding invite, are you still expected to give 100 per head? Or what is normal to give?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

There's some about of rubbish spewed about expected or usual gifts for weddings. If you want to give a gift then give a gift. If you're not going just buy them something you're comfortable with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭phormium

No, I never have, might consider giving something small if it was a relative or good friend and legitimate reason for not going, if it's just a wedding I have zero interest in going to then zilch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭XsApollo

lol, so an invite to a wedding is basically a bill? No way.
    if you were close enough with the people that you would like to give them a gift then do, same as a birthday or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Never have declined but if it was a close friend/family member & it was a case I couldn't make it for a legit reason, then I might still give a present. Otherwise, no wouldn't give anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Madd002

If invited you must be somewhat a friend/colleague, if you genuinely can't go, a wedding card & a €50 one4all voucher or send a bottle of something nice it would be a nice gesture. I've received a few from friends who couldn't make it due to other commitments and we really appreciated it always makes us think fondly of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Usually be people shortly to be married, trying to maximise their 'take'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I think that is a bit unfair. Most people I know weren't calculating the profit on their wedding - they were too busy actually planning it & sorting everything out.

Advertisement